Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2021 1:13:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DZelenka54]
I am trying to figure out what model M16A1 this rifle is. It seems to be configured like a Model 711 but that is a M16A2 and this one is marked M16A1. The rifle seems to have all original Colt parts. As you can see from the picture it is marked M16A1 with a 9 million serial number. It has an A1 upper with teardrop forward assist and no case deflector. The barrel is a 20" 1:7" A2 barrel (can't tell if it is HBAR or not) with what appears to be an A2 flash hider and a round ribbed handguard. The stock is an A2. Assuming it is in its original factory configuration, What Colt model is it? Has anyone seen such a configuration? The person I purchased it from has owned it since the mid 1990s. He believes that it may have come from the Arkansas State Police. I am stumped.

Dan

Link Posted: 9/9/2021 5:02:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Smarter guys than me will weigh in, but I don't think that is a factory configuration.  If it was a former PD gun, then my guess is they did some A2 "upgrades" to A1 rifles they already owned and decided the barrels and stocks where what they wanted to change.  Looks like a great rifle, hope you enjoy it!
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Not a factory configuration, probably upgraded. M16A1 production had probably ended by the time A2 parts became available.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Appears someone swapped out some original parts on the upper or took an A2 upper and threw a tear drop forward assist to make it appear more in style
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#4]
The Air Force is known for upgrading rifles in a similar manner.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top