Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 8:20:28 PM EDT
So I know the differences, the a2 has a beefier rear portion and i know there's something that was altered around the front mag well portion. But my main question is why the changes. Like what issues arose that constituted the changes? From what I can tell, there's about a 4-10k difference depending if its property marked or not. However what id really be interested in is one of the uber rare remanufactured colt receivers that they did in The 90s with the type 3 hard coat anodizing.  Autoweapons has a few but he's asking 38-42k and that seems a bit expensive.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#1]
See the tacked "AR15/M16A1 Lower Receiver: Model Guide/Clone Building Guide/FAQ, redux " tread in the Retro forum.  LINK

This is also covered in one of the Black Rifle books (Black Rifle or Black Rifle II.  IIRC the rear reinforcement was to prevent failure of the receiver while firing rifle grenades.  At the front of the receiver, they added additional material under the pivot pin holes to prevent cracking or breakage.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#2]
What about the differences between the A2 and this? http://www.autoweapons.com/photos14/sep/vk340m16.html
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#3]
The link doesn't work for me.

ETA I think I found the photo you mean.  I've seen it before.  It's kind of an oddball lower with A2 features but stamped M16A1.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.autoweapons.com/photos14/sep/vk340m16.html
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The link doesn't work for me.

ETA I think I found the photo you mean.  I've seen it before.  It's kind of an oddball lower with A2 features but stamped M16A1.
View Quote

one of the rebuilds Colt did?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#6]

This lower has the additional material under the pivot pin holes and around the receiver extension hole (A2 features) but has an A1 rollmark.

IIRC Colt proposed these changes before the A2 was standardized, so maybe it is a very late A1 (before they started rollmarking lowers as A2s).  There's another thread on this lower somewhere on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.autoweapons.com/photos14/sep/vk340m16m.jpg  

This lower has the additional material under the pivot pin holes and around the receiver extension hole (A2 features) but has an A1 rollmark.

IIRC Colt proposed these changes before the A2 was standardized, so maybe it is a very late A1 (before they started rollmarking lowers as A2s).  There's another thread on this lower somewhere on ARFCOM.
View Quote

Manufacturer's rollmark shows that it's a modern replacement receiver - the legality of which is questionable.  That style of rollmark didn't come into use until the late 1990s at earliest.

A late production M16A1 would be roll marked

COLT'S FIREARMS DIVISION
COLT INDUSTRIES
HARTFORD, CONN.
U.S.A.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#8]
More info in this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_23/436433_M16A1_with_A2_Reinforcements_.html
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Another "theory" on why the reinforcements (at front and rear) were added is that a number of A1 receivers were broken when the rifles were used as pry implements or were stepped on.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top