Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 11/30/2013 10:09:43 PM EDT
I know I need to get rid of the carbine buffer and get an h3 or 9mm buffer. What will doing that slow my ROF down to? Also do I need to change anything else lime4 springs? Or would changing the springs just speed up the rof? Im using a 16" upper now and will go between an 11.5 and 20 so lets just use the 16 for the numbers bc the 11.5 will be faster and 20 will have slower ROF.

Thank you for all the help and if you guys know any other tricks it will be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 5:08:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Hard to tell what ROF you'll have as there are so many variables.

I'd look into the VLTOR A5 system, start with a standard weight and play with heavier.

I've had an AAC rate reducer and broke it within a few hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 5:38:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I used one of the xtra heavy slash buffers in my gun and it slowed it down.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want to slow the Rate of Fire on an M16, in my experience you have three items you can change.  All have "pluses" and "minuses" in terms of side effects.

1.  Heavier Buffer.   These include both increasing the mass of the buffer body and/or the reciprocal weights.   The lightest buffers being the "carbine" and the heaviest being the Colt X, MGI, or some of the custom "slash" heavy buffers.

Putting more weight/mass into the system will definitely slow it down, especially if you are using a carbine buffer (aluminum body + steel weights).   Moving from a Carbine Buffer to a Colt X or MGI, leaving everything else equal will probably remove 100 RPM or more from your existing setup.

The downside to more weight is that you can slightly increase the felt recoil and more mass is now moving within the gun but at an albeit slower speed.

2.  Less gas.   Get an adjustable gas block to remove energy from the system.   Putting less gas into the carrier will result in the BCG not being impinged as sharply, slowing the rearward travel.   Upside it is an adjustable gas block allows you to tune your ROF.  Downside is that as that adjustable gas blocks are more difficult to install and you can "tune" the gas down to much to not allow the gun to cycle once it gets dirty.

3.  Lighter recoil spring.  Upside is it is easy to install but it can lead to reliability problems when dirty.

My suggestion would be to start with the buffer first.  Try either a H3 or if you want even slower a Colt B or Colt X.  See if that gets you to where you want.  If it doesn't than I would move to the adjustable gas block to take some of the gas out of the system.    Adjusting the buffer and the gas should allow you to get whatever ROF you want within reason.    I wouldn't mess with the buffer spring and it can induce more problems than it solves and I only change the buffer spring if you are going for some more exotic setup with trying to get subsonic ammo to cycle, etc.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#4]
What's your ROF now, and what do you want it to be?

Buffer selection is your best and easiest bet. I have a couple buffers depending on what ammo I'm shooting. id have a selection of assorted buffers so that you can easily change ROF for each configuration you're shooting.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Option 4: Use Wolf Ammunition.  The one time I used Wolf there were distinct differences in rates of fire between my 11½ Inch Upper and my normal 20 Inch Upper.  The Longer Upper sounded like an M60 machine gun, it was so slow; the 11½ Inch Upper sounded about the normal rate of fire.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Option 4: Use Wolf Ammunition.  The one time I used Wolf there were distinct differences in rates of fire between my 11½ Inch Upper and my normal 20 Inch Upper.  The Longer Upper sounded like an M60 machine gun, it was so slow; the 11½ Inch Upper sounded about the normal rate of fire.
View Quote

That too.

Here's a video I did a few years ago using some random bits of different (left over) ammo.

Link Posted: 12/1/2013 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#7]
how much of a difference is there between the h3 and the 9 millimeter buffer as far as slowing down the rate of fire? Plus if I get the 9 millimeter buffer I can always use that with my 9 millimeter upper so I don't have to keep buying buffers left n right correct
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#8]
5.45 upper ?
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Gotta confess that I kinda like the higher rates, or at least something like the first in that vid posted above haha.  As long as it doesn't damage the lower, its fine by me
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Try a AAC extra heavy buffer.  With a LMG upper and the rifle buffer I am probably around low 500 rpm carbine buffer and a 10" barrel is about the same
Sounds like a Ma' Duece rof
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#12]
If we're talking adjustable gas blocks, what about a W.A.R. upper receiver?  I know it's more intended for suppressed than full auto use, but it might be worth a look.  I haven't read much about it lately, but it seems like a neat concept.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#13]
H1 buffer....no good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spsz3714GyQ
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#14]
looks like 1100 or so.  Yeah that's definitely not slow.  Are you using an adjustible gas block?

I've found that AA piston kits slow the cyclic rate down pretty well.  If you run hot 5.56 you can run the gun on the suppressed setting without the can and get a pretty slow ROF.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#16]
What about the enidine buffer?

I had great results with an enidine in my pof 9.25".   It did leak about more than 5k rounds
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top