Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2013 6:19:24 PM EDT
What is the consensus on the best rate reducing buffer? I have a rr colt m16a1 with rifle stock, usgi spring, standard rifle buffer now. Upper is colt with carbine gas system an 16 hbar.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I realy like the Enidine, then the MGI. Dont waist your money on the AAC buffer. It isnt worth the $. Ive use the Enidine mostly and the MGI from time to time with standard carbine spring. ROF of around 700 with the Enidine and MGI. The roll pin in the mgi can drift out so weld, or pin prick it in place when new.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#2]
MGI ia all you need to know.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I realy like the Enidine, then the MGI. Dont waist your money on the AAC buffer. It isnt worth the $. Ive use the Enidine mostly and the MGI from time to time with standard carbine spring. ROF of around 700 with the Enidine and MGI. The roll pin in the mgi can drift out so weld, or pin prick it in place when new.

I have not experienced that issue.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 3:42:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Replacing a roll pin is nothing.  A hydraulic leak would bother me alot more.  

To be fair, both the Enidine and MGI are well regarded.  Kinda like Eotech and Aimpoint.  

There is a test somewhere in the archives that showed the MGI lowered ROF more.  I think you'd be happy either way.

Sam
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both... I use both, but to be flat out honest the MGI lives in my favorite lower Enidine lives in the one that never leaves the safe.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 4:03:23 AM EDT
[#7]
The most rate reduction I have gotten is with the old LMG hydraulic buffer.  The second best (by 15 RPM) is the AAC Super Slow rate reducer.  Both require the full-length buffer tube.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the Enidine, it reduces the cyclic rate significantly (when compared to the carbine, H, H2, and H3 buffers), while concurrently affecting a very noticeable decrease in muzzle rise. The progressively heavier H2 and H3 buffers do reduce the cyclic rate some, but their added weight makes the rifle feel "bouncy", whereas this condition is not present when using the Enidine buffer. The recoil reduction of the Enidine is even noticeable on semi-auto, as it removes the slight "thump" you normally get when the bolt carrier and buffer bottom out at the end of the recoil cycle. You can really notice this in "before and after" testing of the rifle. Basically, the Enidine works like a shock-absorber, preventing the bolt carrier from "bottoming out" harshly every time you fire a shot. The Enidine also has a total weight of 4.3 oz., which is about the same weight as an H2 buffer (4.7 oz.).  

The MGI Rate Reducing Buffer has a total weight of 7.1 oz., which is significantly heavier than even the standard rifle buffer (5.15 oz.). The MGI's weight is similar to some of the heavier 9mm buffers, which have been known to break bolt catches. I have found NO reports of bolt catch breakages when using the MGI RRB, so I will assume this is not an issue. I have heard a few reports of the MGI's roll pin migrating (coming out), which could gouge up the inside of the buffer tube if not discovered in time. I don't think the roll pin could come out far enough to allow the MGI buffer to actually fall apart, as the buffer tube would be the limit stop to this movement. I wonder why MGI doesn't just use a pressed-in solid pin, or at least a coiled style roll pin in their buffer. It's not like it needs to be disassembled on a regular basis, which would be a sound reason for using a roll pin.

I personally would rather use the lighter buffer which works as well (the Enidine), if for no other reason than to reduce the amount of weight being being stopped by the bolt catch. Keep in mind that the bolt catch is attached to the expensive lower receiver, and the impact from the cycling mass hitting the bolt catch is transferred directly to the lower receiver. There is obviously a threshold for damage in this regard, but I'd prefer to be as far away from that point as possible.

As Tony would write: "YMMV " .
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the Endine.  With a 10" barrel and carbine stock, muzzle rise is nothing. Pulling off a two round shot is easy as pie.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Enidines suck ass.

Ive replaced 2 and have a 3rd broken on in a drawer

Link Posted: 4/7/2013 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#11]
While I have never tested it.  But I think someone here did.  The Vltor A5 receiver extension has 3 buffer weight's available.  Seems to me like their heavy buffer did more to slow the ROF than anything else has.  I use the standard buffer in the A5.  Everyone that has shot it seems to think the ROF is just right .  Two guys even put them on their M16 after shooting mine.  YMMV
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
While I have never tested it.  But I think someone here did.  The Vltor A5 receiver extension has 3 buffer weight's available.  Seems to me like their heavy buffer did more to slow the ROF than anything else has.  I use the standard buffer in the A5.  Everyone that has shot it seems to think the ROF is just right .  Two guys even put them on their M16 after shooting mine.  YMMV

Actually, Vltor has made five different buffer weights for the A5 (I have them all). IIRC, only three are listed on the web site, but last I heard the other two were still available via special order by phone.

That said, I've never had reason to play with anything other than the standard buffer, but I'm the sort of guy who, if they make five weights, I have to have all five .....

Would you run them over a postal scale ? So we can see the differance between them  Could the two heavy ones be for 6.8  and or 7.62X39??
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#16]
This link shows the Vltor A5 stock on 11.5" carbine gas & 14.5" mid length gas system.  It is one the with standard weight buffer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOE-xJ9F9hk
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 5:25:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This link shows the Vltor A5 stock on 11.5" carbine gas & 14.5" mid length gas system.  It is one the stand weight buffer.

WOW those guns sure look uncontrollable. Recoil  is surely throwing the muzzle all over.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#18]
i don't remember which one he had in there but it was a hydraulic buffer of some type on the first gun with the 7in upper with pistol length gas system.  very easy to control and was firing some Silver bear 55gr FMJ

the 2nd one was a PAWS converted SP1 and normal M4 type buffer on my 11in carbine gas system upper with M4-2000 can.  little harder to control (im in white) as i wasn't used to firing that one but i'm good now.
that one was some type of brass ammo, American eagle i think.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2013 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This link shows the Vltor A5 stock on 11.5" carbine gas & 14.5" mid length gas system.  It is one the stand weight buffer.

WOW those guns sure look uncontrollable. Recoil  is surely throwing the muzzle all over.

Not sure we are looking at the same video, with the 14.5" barrel, that is a 90lb kid doing mag dump, his stance is not all that great neither.  Muzzle climb is well controlled.

On the 11.5" barrel, the shooter is new to the sport and he has never shot a full auto gun before.  So his stance was leaned way back back and it looked bad.  Once he learned the proper stance, he was hitting good with bursts.
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Her is my M16 with a first time shooter. Now yes he is just a bit heavier than 90lbs, and stance is ok. Notice he is barley holding onto the handguard. This was with a enidine buffer with a over gassed 11.5 carbine upper, and standard carbine buffer tube. Very easy to control, and check out that ROF I do think your middy is a lot smoother!
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't mang, your first time shooter definitely looks at least 92lbs lol

Your rate is definitely slower than mine.  I don't know where mine is at, need to buy a pac timer and check it out one day.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#22]
What is the best timer to get that will show your rof?
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top