Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 9/30/2011 7:07:22 AM EDT
http://www.valkyriearmament.com/complete_rifles/

i understand that this uses the Stoner feed system and modified M27 links, anyone use this set up before or know how much the links are modified as i've been looking at this and i'm not sure if it's worth the money.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
http://www.valkyriearmament.com/complete_rifles/

i understand that this uses the Stoner feed system and modified M27 links, anyone use this set up before or know how much the links are modified as i've been looking at this and i'm not sure if it's worth the money.

Would only get one if I had a RDIAS, and I would use the MGI modular lower.

For all of us with a RR M16, no way in hell am I going to have my lower "cut up" just to be able to use that upper.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Or build the Valkyrie on a semi lower, and add a Slidefire Stock.

i was kind of entertaining that idea but really have my eye set on a RLL, seeing as i am in CT.  is there any one who has use one of these before?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#4]
We've had a couple of threads on this upper before. Not sure if they have been pushed into the archives yet, but its been covered, a couple of times.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#5]
i've seen it mentioned here before but i don't remember anyone saying weather or not it was any good.  just that it was an option.  at half the cost of a Shrike it looks good but not if it's going to be twice the headaches
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i've seen it mentioned here before but i don't remember anyone saying weather or not it was any good.  just that it was an option.  at half the cost of a Shrike it looks good but not if it's going to be twice the headaches

The biggest concern raised has been the cost of the "modified" M27 links which valkyrie requires for their version of the upper.  No one who has posted here has ponied up and bought one to evaluate it, but all have commented negatively on the cost of modified links to feed it.

I have personally fired a Ciener-built beltfed, and found it to be VERY finicky, and both link and ammo dependent, and it had maintenance and firing quirks to achieve best reliability.  It was NOT a load-and-go proposition like the Shrike, HK23 and Stoner systems are reported to be.

FWIW, the links on the Ciener-built beltfeds needed to be "relaxed" so they didn't grip the rounds as firmly, and often lubed with light machine oil for easier loading and proper operation.  The Ciener I worked on was a semi Colt with an RDIAS installed, and it would run just fine if you slapped another upper on it, or withdrew the beltfeed assembly from the modified upper and ran it with a magazine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#7]
i asked the company what the modifications were and this is the response....
"There is a 1/8 wide slot ground in both sides of the single hoop section of the link."
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Half the cost of a shrike? Is it $2500? I thought it was over $3k, closer to $4k. That isn't half the cost of a shrike. That is $1400 less then the cost of a shrike.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Half the cost of a shrike? Is it $2500? I thought it was over $3k, closer to $4k. That isn't half the cost of a shrike. That is $1400 less then the cost of a shrike.

the site says 3,500 but you are supplying them a complete rifle so...  ya its not a real good idea.  ill just stick with mag fed ARs and my Mac for full auto stuff, i just didn't want to write that off until i looked into it a little further
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the site says 3,500 but you are supplying them a complete rifle so...  ya its not a real good idea.  ill just stick with mag fed ARs and my Mac for full auto stuff, i just didn't want to write that off until i looked into it a little further

I'd say save a little more and get a shrike. Even with all the bad press they have gotten, it is a quality upper. I've enjoyed the couple I've had. Uses normal M27 links, quick change barrel, etc. There was one on gunbroker for $5200 that sat for a month or so, I'd think you'll see some use ones pop up under $5k in short order.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'd say save a little more and get a shrike. Even with all the bad press they have gotten, it is a quality upper. I've enjoyed the couple I've had. Uses normal M27 links, quick change barrel, etc. There was one on gunbroker for $5200 that sat for a month or so, I'd think you'll see some use ones pop up under $5k in short order.

I agree. The modified links thing really kills it for me. I'm planning on an MGI modular lower as an RDIAS host anyway (assuming they get some of the magwells out of production sometime this century) so that part isn't a big deal to me, but it just sounds like it would be a pain in the rear to run...even if the links didn't require modification, the Shrike seems to be a better design...they certainly took their time to get it right.
Then there's resale value and the Valkyrie Armament upper just isn't going to appeal to as many people as the Shrike. Nobody with a registered receiver would consider one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. The modified links thing really kills it for me. I'm planning on an MGI modular lower as an RDIAS host anyway (assuming they get some of the magwells out of production sometime this century) so that part isn't a big deal to me, but it just sounds like it would be a pain in the rear to run...even if the links didn't require modification, the Shrike seems to be a better design...they certainly took their time to get it right.
Then there's resale value and the Valkyrie Armament upper just isn't going to appeal to as many people as the Shrike. Nobody with a registered receiver would consider one.

Which I agree 110% with, but valkyrie claims that three people sent them their registered receiver M16's to have the uppers mounted. Not that I believe any manufacture's claims, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which I agree 110% with, but valkyrie claims that three people sent them their registered receiver M16's to have the uppers mounted. Not that I believe any manufacture's claims, but it is what it is.

Sorry, I should have said "Nobody in their right mind who owned a registered receiver would consider one"
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I

Don't forget posties are also registered lol
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I

Don't forget posties are also registered lol

They claimed they were transferable. I think it was a marketing thing, this was when they had an account here, before they got shut down for tooting their own horn with out paying for a dealer account. I could see a post sample, but they said it worked so well, was so much cheaper(this was when shrikes were selling for $8k or so) and you could get it done in less then a month that people with transferable guns just wanted a belt fed so bad they would get their gun chopped.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#16]
how much do they cut out of the lower?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#17]
some notching, basically, on the left and right sides of the magwell of the lower, to fit the belt feed assembly.  1" long by 1/2" high or so on the right side to pass links, more like 3" long by 1/2" high on the left side to fit the feed tray.

Does not make it no longer compatible with mags, but you'll have holes showing without the belt feed installed.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top