Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 9/11/2010 4:32:23 PM EDT
Steel RDIAS.

What type of trip spring should be used in a RDIAS?
I want to replace mine. The one in it is very stiff. What should be in there?

I also want to replace the pin that holds the trip.
The one in mine is OK but could be 1 or 2 thousand larger for a better fit.
What type on meterial should be used? Hard? Tool? soft? Mild?
Should it fit tight so as not to rotate during use, or be snug and some rotation? or be loose?

Where does a person get trip pins? Its a odd size, something like .136.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Roll pins are common because they fit tight, don't rotate, and are cheap and commonly available in many widths and lengths.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Your spring should be as soft as possible and still function.  I've heard of guys using the spring from a ball point pen.  Personally, I'd go to a local machine shop and have several pins and trips made.  There is a "sticky" that goes into the materials on building new sear trips.  If your current one works, I'd have the shop copy it exactly from the material listed in the sticky.  It would be a drag if the trip get worn and becomes out of time.  Unless the shop can figure out what your trip originally looked like, the trip will have yo be remade.  I'd think it would be much easier to have a good one to go by than to have to guess and retime it.  Good luck with your DIAS project.

Scott
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top