Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 10/30/2009 9:05:08 AM EDT
Son & I are going to attempt to get into NFA. We have an LLC in process and the question came up about sear guns vs. the alternative. We are concerned about the viability (useful life) of any SMG we might find that we like vs. the possibility of going the sear route for already owned essentially NIB ar`s. Sorry for our newbie status and the dumb questions but....

I am greatly concerned about the "burden of ownership" going forward for him after I`m gone. I do not want to leave him in a bad situation.
I would appreciate any helpful suggestions on this issue. Money is not the problem. Making the correct decision as to what path to take is.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#1]
depends on what type of platform of MG you are looking into.

For an AR aka M16 platform, most will say go with the RDIAS, it's nearly indestructible and you don't have to baby the host receivers like you would with a Registered Receiver M16 (RR M16).  With the RDIAS platform, it allows you to shoot any caliber that you could shoot with a RR M16.  For this platform avoid any RRM16 that have a married reciever/sear combo.

I'm sure others will have a lot more input, but they want to know what type of platform you are looking for first to give you suggestions/options to consider.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Just for fun,,,,he has two nib Armalite ar 15`s. We could get almost anything as a platform. Again we just need not to make a mistake in the direction we take.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#4]
My comfort level just went up ,,,thank you very much. My chosen NFA dealer here in Texas has encouraged me to go "middle of the road" with our choice and has had good things to say about pre-86 M-16`s. This would solve the lost RDIAS scenario you mentioned. I would like to get any tips that you might have about determining the REAL # of rounds eaten by any M-16 we look at. Are ther specific measurements that I can make on any area/piece/part that I can use to gauge the wear condition?

We take GREAT care of our stuff. I was taught that very early on. Abuse is not in our vocabulary. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe you are lucky that both of you are going into this as depending on your son's age if he is contributing financially you have the potential to have a nice collection that you can both use at will.  I have a similar setup with my father for a few items and it is by far the easiest way to own these items.  Take into consideration depending on your state or county there are sometimes taxes on assets held by the corp so you may want to minimize the tax value of those items etc etc.
 You can not go wrong with a registered reciever.  The only recommendation I would give is to go ahead and get one that has the small hole on the front of the reciever as it makes it much faster to switch uppers.  Its no big deal but I have one with a small hole with push pins and large hole lower with adapter offset pin and find myself taking/playing with the small hole lower much more often just because of this issue.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks to all above. Sponge Dad here. LOL
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:53:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There is always the chance of a kaBOOM, particularly if you use crappy ammo or worn/out-of-spec components. FWIW, though, I have never seen an M16 lower receiver damaged beyond repair by shooting –– uppers do get trashed, but the lowers usually remain intact. And remember, that tiny $12,000 piece of metal (RDIAS) attaches to the upper receiver lug: If the upper grenades, good luck finding the RDIAS, which could be thrown anywhere.

Tony, if an upper grenades bad enough that the upper receiver lug and the RDIAS are torn out of place and can't be found, don't you think that the lower would also be damaged as well? The take-down pin passes through the lug and the RDIAS, and in my mind, I don't see that pin shearing easily, it is likely going to tear the aluminum lower first.

If you have a grenade that bad, you're likely going to be in need of immediate medical attention and the least of your concerns is your MG. But in the case that you aren't injured, if you had an RR, the rear lug is going to tear out anyways and cause damage somewhere (although it may be repairable); if you had an RDIAS, if it tears out, the odds of it not being found are very slim IMHO, but if found, the odds of irreparable damage are very slim too.

IMHO, it is a wash, either way you go. I think the only concerns are with the RDIAS, you can easily switch guns, but tuning may be required. RR, its mostly plug and play, just go, but may not be as readily changed to other guns.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:36:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Tony, you've been a real asset on buying a M16.  I'm saving these buying tips for when I can convince the missus to let me buy one... but in the meantime, thank you!
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top