Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2021 9:44:25 PM EDT
Modernized Walther MPL
Some of you hate me for this, some of you love me for this…
Well, “Operation modernized MPL” is complete! This thing came out amazing. You can see what it started as, my photoshop proof of concept and the end result. The more I worked on this old Walther, the more I liked it. Very well built and pretty modern for its time. Here’s what was done: removed factory wire folding stock and hardware. Manual machined a hollow receiver extension and picatinny rail. TIG welded both to receiver. Removed factory front/rear sights. Machined dove tail sight filler pieces and TIG welded into sight bases. Machined a EGW 16” picatinny rail blank and 14 8-40 screws and two .125 reamed and pinned recoil/locating lugs. Installed Occam Defense sights (very nice by the way). Removed factory sling loops and installed Noveske flush mount QD sling swivel studs in their places front/rear. Modified existing hand guard vents to M Lok specs (pretty close already). Machined rail to for underside of handguard. Threaded barrel 1/2x28 and added Griffin 3 lug mount. Upper/lower finished in Grey-Black Moly Resin, small parts finished in Amor Black CeraKote and all internal bolt group and trigger group coated in CeraKote Micro Slick. This was a fun project and I’m extremely happy with the result.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 12:47:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Modernized Walther MPL
Some of you hate me for this, some of you love me for this…
Well, “Operation modernized MPL” is complete! This thing came out amazing. You can see what it started as, my photoshop proof of concept and the end result. The more I worked on this old Walther, the more I liked it. Very well built and pretty modern for its time. Here’s what was done: removed factory wire
lding stock and hardware. Manual machined a hollow receiver extension and picatinny rail. TIG welded both to receiver. Removed factory front/rear sights. Machined dove tail sight filler pieces and TIG welded into sight bases. Machined a EGW 16” picatinny rail blank and 14 8-40 screws and two .125 reamed and pinned recoil/locating lugs. Installed Occam Defense sights (very nice by the way). Removed factory sling loops and installed Noveske flush mount QD sling swivel studs in their places front/rear. Modified existing hand guard vents to M Lok specs (pretty close already). Machined rail to for underside of handguard. Threaded barrel 1/2x28 and added Griffin 3 lug mount. Upper/lower finished in Grey-Black Moly Resin, small parts finished in Amor Black CeraKote and all internal bolt group and trigger group coated in CeraKote Micro Slick. This was a fun project and I’m extremely happy with the result.
View Quote

That's awesome.  Want to see some video :)
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate it! I want one now!
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 11/28/2021 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Amazing work!  It looks so clean!
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Sick! Great work!
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 11:49:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 2:26:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Can we convince TommyBuilt to make pistol variants of these? I know the market is already flooded with PCC's, but this seem like it would fill a cool niche.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can we convince TommyBuilt to make pistol variants of these? I know the market is already flooded with PCC's, but this seem like it would fill a cool niche.
View Quote

I’ve considered this myself. Simple sheet metal receivers and I’m sure a simple striker fire mechanism to replace the open bolt function…
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I think you were able to protect the initial look of the gun, while optimizing its feel and functionality. This is good.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I just want an MPL in general, now I want one more, great job.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:43:13 AM EDT
[#13]
any follow-up on this project?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
any follow-up on this project?
View Quote

No follow up as it’s done and I shoot the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Very cool. You could set up a little part time businesses doing that kid of work for people.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Good work, OP.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Very cool! Outstanding work!
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Fit and finish looks amazing.  Love it.

Need video of shooting :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top