Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2013 10:13:06 PM EDT
http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=23042&query=retrieval

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=23042&query=retrieval

If I had the free cash I'd jump on that gun.

There are very few 21/28 overstamps to be found for less than about $35K

plus I know for fact that this one is 'papered', shown in the various references as an original colt overstamp.

the gun belonged to the Bistol Tenn. police department.

I do not know the owner, I don't own the gun, I have no vested interest in the gun, etc.

just thought I'd give you guys a head's up on a nice gun since I cannot buy it myself

Link Posted: 9/22/2013 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like it sold

Who's the happy bastard who got it?

Link Posted: 10/5/2013 6:51:34 AM EDT
[#2]
What did it sell at ?
Just curious.

Those that follow the Tommy swear by it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Found it;

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=357309148

I shoulda bought 2
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 6:57:12 AM EDT
[#4]
What does the 21/28 overstamp mean?

ETA: nvm just saw in the gunbroker pics.  Is that more desirable than one marked 1921?
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 7:07:39 AM EDT
[#5]
^ No idea.
I be a newb.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What does the 21/28 overstamp mean?

ETA: nvm just saw in the gunbroker pics.  Is that more desirable than one marked 1921?
View Quote

The difference is the model.  21 vs.28

The overstamp guns started off as 21s which were all made by Colt and then at the behest of the military the rate of fire was slowed down (as to not waste ammunition).

I am not a Thompson expert and somebody may be able to offer more clarification,  but the primary difference between a 21 and a 28 is the actuator was made heavier to slow the ROF.  There are some other minor changes  but the net effect was a slower ROF for a 28 vs a 21.

The original Colt 21s guns  were "restamped" or "overstamped" when the 28 military upgrade took place.  The "1" was then restamped to an "8" on the side of the receiver.

So when you buy a 21/28 Colt overstamp gun you are getting that original Colt Thompson receiver and all the quality that went with it, but at a reduced price to a pure unmolested Colt 21 which doesnt have its marking messed with or original parts removed and replaced.

1928s were then made by Savage and Auto Ordance "Bridgeport" for the military until they were supplanted by the M1 and M1A, both of which are a much more radical departure from the original design than the 21 to 28 was.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 6:33:53 AM EDT
[#7]
^ Neat info.
I can see what you mean by a good deal now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:00:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Is this a good deal ?

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi?read=162348

1921A Colt Thompson refinished by Colt for 26,500.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Thompsons are not quite the same as other NFA guns, they are more like traditional gun collecting

I mean that they are similar to say collecting Colt Peacemakers in that there are a lot of variations and the pricing is very nuanced depending on condition and originality.

the text that goes along with that ad seems to indicate to me that the guy selling the gun knows plenty about thompsons and knows their value

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this a good deal ?

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi?read=162348

1921A Colt Thompson refinished by Colt for 26,500.
View Quote

Seems like a pretty decent deal.   As mentioned above hard core Thompson collectors highly prize all original parts and finish.  Having 20% of the original finish is better than 0% of the original finish, even if it has been reblued to perfection.

If I was currently in the market for a Thompson I would probably consider looking at this gun.  I personally don't care if a gun has been refinished as long as the refinish isn't hiding some sort of repair.  

Is this gun worth a 4 to 6K  premium over a Savage of AO wartime 1928...maybe it does say Colt on the side which generally bring more bucks regardless of the platform
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top