Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2013 4:23:11 PM EDT
I have mine done in triplicate (reduced to 63%), laminated on key rings.  Originals in Safe Deposit Box.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I made full-size copies, neatly folded them, placed in a Ziploc sandwich bag. I have 25 forms and counting in one baggie. One set in my car, one set in the range bag, one set in the wife's car.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#2]
On my cell phone... I have photos of each one... Easy to see..
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#3]
laminated copies in the butt stock or pistol grip.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
laminated copies in the butt stock or pistol grip.
View Quote

How much do you shrink it? Fold it?
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I reduced mine to fit 4 copies on 8x11 sheet of paper and cut each one and then laminated. I have mine rolled up in my grip.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Full-size color copy in my range bag.  I like the reduced-size, laminated forms, but I want something that makes the lowest-common-denominator, least gun-friendly LEO at least consider that it's a real document.  I kinda don't think the small ones would get the same kind of response as a full-size color copy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't take them with me.  Used to laminate and shrink down and all that crap... but no one in AZ cares about SBRs and Silencers...

Maybe if I was running a Machine gun, I'd go the extra step.... those tend to bring people in.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I made full size copies and laminated them. Originals kept in the safe. This worked out well when the deputies showed up because the neighbors called because of gun fire. They assumed that my uzi was legal because they "knew" that no one in their right mind would be shooting an illegal gun where we were. I showed them the form anyway. They thought that it was cool because they had never seen one before. After checking that we had a safe backstop, they said to carry on and to have a nice day.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:25:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Full size copies in a small ring binder. Each form is in a plastic sheath. Categorized by caliber

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Minimize a copy, fold, and insert in wallet
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Pretty much the same way too. Reduced and laminated. I used to have wallet sized too but don't keep them anymore.  I now have a thin 3 ring binder that I keep them in, along with my 5320.20's.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:16:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I immediately make 10 double sided color copies of my forms when I get the fiream, I put them in an envelope with the names of the firearms written on the front, and the envelopes get tossed in the side of the case on prep day. I have several packets made up. Suppressors have their own case, a folded up copy is in each case. If you do it all as they come in it's really no chore.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have mine done in triplicate (reduced to 63%), laminated on key rings.  Originals in Safe Deposit Box.

<a href="http://s263.photobucket.com/user/Bgu301/media/IMG_20130831_181050_857_zps85d190a6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii155/Bgu301/IMG_20130831_181050_857_zps85d190a6.jpg</a>
View Quote

You know most safe deposit boxes are not fire proof right? I know it's a very slim chance of it happening but your home safe if you have one is a much better choice to store them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I broke down and spent $20 at kinkos last weekend making full size copes, laminating them, 3 hole punched and inserted into a thin binder.

2 SBR's that have storage in the grip have copies of the forms in there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:03:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a corp binder that has copies of my form 1's,  4's, 5320.20's, state laws and the NFA act of '34 plus the GCA act of '68.  It's a great conversation piece to educate folks at the range of the title II world.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:24:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I just don't want to lug around a binder but I have 5 more pending, I am eventually going to be carrying a paper and laminate brick around.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I just don't want to lug around a binder but I have 5 more pending, I am eventually going to be carrying a paper and laminate brick around.
View Quote

Unless you have hundreds of forms, a 1" binder should be sufficient. I have one and it fits in my range bag.

Link Posted: 9/19/2013 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I use the 1" Meade zipper binder below with copies of my paperwork in those clear plastic 3 hole "sheaths".

Along with my NFA paperwork, I keep business cards of SOTs, contacts at the Sheriffs office, hunting license, hunter safety card, NRA card, copy of relevant laws, range membership card, emergency contact info, etc.  

Nice to have everything shooting/hunting/gun related all in one place and makes it harder to forget something at home.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I keep a binder in the truck with copies in it.    I have only been asked once and it was a rso.  About the only time I shoot is at large mg shoots out of state. Technically those forms are tax documents so if the guy is being a real jerk you can always make him get a warrant.  I have a friend that did that once and the officers superior told him to apologize, get in the car and leave.  It was humorous to say the least.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Wallet size.  Tiny, tiny print.  Luckily I had these.  The last time at the county range they wanted to see my paper and I didn't have the full sized copy.

It is purely fucking stupid for them to ask. They don't ask everybody at the range to prove their gun isn't stolen, and if I had an unpapered can, it would most likely be stolen.

They can't read the tiny card anyway, so it is funny for me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wallet size.  Tiny, tiny print.  Luckily I had these.  The last time at the county range they wanted to see my paper and I didn't have the full sized copy.

It is purely fucking stupid for them to ask. They don't ask everybody at the range to prove their gun isn't stolen, and if I had an unpapered can, it would most likely be stolen.

They can't read the tiny card anyway, so it is funny for me.
View Quote

Reason they don't ask about other guns, is in most states the way the law is written Title 2 firearms (MGs, SBS, SBR, AOW, Suppressors, DDs) are illegal unless you show they aren't. So they can assume your are illegal until you prove you aren't. Sucks but that's the way it is.

Link Posted: 9/28/2013 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Do you guys laminate the original also?

I made several copies of mine and rolled one up and put it in the Troy modular combat grip.  That way I know its always with my SBR.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do you guys laminate the original also?

I made several copies of mine and rolled one up and put it in the Troy modular combat grip.  That way I know its always with my SBR.
View Quote

NO!!!!!  Never laminate the original!
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 8:34:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Laminated full-sized color copies, in my range bag.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#26]
USB stick in pocket.. dont bother when going to Fish and Game here 2 mile across the way..

Similar topic  

Link Posted: 10/1/2013 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s893.photobucket.com/user/chas8008/media/DanandGio043.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/chas8008/DanandGio043.jpg</a>

View Quote

I like....    I usually have the copy in my assualt case pocket, or range bag. I think it's smart to back it up with small laminated copies that can be stored on the gun in extreme cases, and you never have to worry about forgeting them at home.  AAAAA
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I like....    I usually have the copy in my assualt case pocket, or range bag. I think it's smart to back it up with small laminated copies that can be stored on the gun in extreme cases, and you never have to worry about forgeting them at home.  AAAAA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s893.photobucket.com/user/chas8008/media/DanandGio043.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/chas8008/DanandGio043.jpg</a>

Those are wallet sized
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:49:00 AM EDT
[#29]
I keep a full size color copy in each of the rifle bags that I tote my SBR in.  The real one stays in a safe.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#30]
For those that laminate, do you photocopy just the one side with the stamp or both?
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't carry them

In twenty years I've never experienced meeting anyone with the legal authority and need to ask me for them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't.

PDF version in my phone.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#33]
OP, my first impression is you're just showing off all your damned stamps. Impressive collection.  As for me I keep a set of my copies in the glove box of my car so they are always with me; along with my title, insurance, fishing license, etc. - anything I might need.  Bases covered.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Low-tech old fart here.  I stuff paper copies inside my cheap-ass Uncle Mikes gun cases.    

I couldn't remember which cases went with which guns, so gave up and put copies of all of them in each case.  

Reduced size and laminated?  Right.  Like I'd know how to do that.  

Cell-phone PDF copies?  Is that like texting?

And what's this about using a USB?  Why would I stuff a F4 in a HK pistol?

Sam    
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For those that laminate, do you photocopy just the one side with the stamp or both?
View Quote

I did both
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 3:44:46 AM EDT
[#36]
My range asks to see the forms (NOT "examine" them) when you sign in.  It's a liability thing for them; if they have someone firing full auto and law enforcement asks questions, they can honestly say they saw a form.  They just make it a blanket "if it's NFA, show us a stamp" rule.

I doubt I'll ever have need to show a form to an LEO in any case.  And not to dredge up another discussion, but they are tax forms, and courts have held that only Treasury agents have authority to ask to actually examine them.  Besides, no matter how dedicated and honestly trying to do their jobs well, somewhere over 80% of LEOs have absolutely zero knowledge of NFA beyond the "illegal" part.  Here in Texas, state law bans all NFA stuff "unless properly registered" with the NFA branch.  The statute is worded: "it is an affirmative defense against prosecution," which essentially means the local jurisdiction can go ahead and charge you, but proof of NFA registration essentially lets you make that DA look more stupid than he wants to...  But that doesn't mean it can't happen, so I'm sort of "prepared" when I hit the range.  As I said earlier, I have full sized copies of my forms in my range bag, whether I'm taking NFA with me or not.  I may wind up stashing another copy in the car as well, just in case...
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 3:49:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Copies on the phone, and full size color copies tucked in a protective cover deal that I keep my printed targets in. Originals stay in the safe.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:40:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Full size copies, double sided, laminated, in a binder, in an old .mil map case.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I go to AAA where I have the Notary make several copies, stamping every copy.  Original goes someplace safe, One copy gets neatly folded up and kept with Item, the rest kept in a binder.  If Copy #1 goes bad I have no problems shredding it and getting Copy #2.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

^^THIS^^
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don't take them with me.  Used to laminate and shrink down and all that crap... but no one in AZ cares about SBRs and Silencers...

Maybe if I was running a Machine gun, I'd go the extra step.... those tend to bring people in.
View Quote

If you ever shoot at a county range, they will be caring.

My forms are reduced to credit card size and are always with me in my wallet.  Under magnification, they are completely legible.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I don't carry them

In twenty years I've never experienced meeting anyone with the legal authority and need to ask me for them.
View Quote

You shouldn't have to prove something is legal regarding the automatic assumption that it isn't legal.. Especially if it is considered your right (most places.)

It is only a tax stamp, not a license. The only time I have been asked about it is someone that has no authority at all and only doing it to show off how much (or little) they know about laws on title II firearms. I guess I think of it as parking a car, and someone that you don't know coming up and asking if you have a license for it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 2:44:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You shouldn't have to prove something is legal regarding the automatic assumption that it isn't legal.. Especially if it is considered your right (most places.)

It is only a tax stamp, not a license. The only time I have been asked about it is someone that has no authority at all and only doing it to show off how much (or little) they know about laws on title II firearms. I guess I think of it as parking a car, and someone that you don't know coming up and asking if you have a license for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't carry them

Except that most states (including Texas and apparently NC) explicitly outlaw NFA items with the exception of those properly registered under the NFA.  So while you and I are correct in our basic assumption that NFA items are protected under the 2nd Amendment, just about everybody else thinks (also essentially correctly) that they are illegal, and we need to be prepared to correct their faulty reasoning.  It doesn't help us that there are so many idiots who will go out and do stuff with illegal weapons, which gets lots of press and reinforces the incorrect public impression that NFA is always illegal.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 5:31:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#46]
I went for a few years with no problems, walk around gun shows with SMG's...obvious guns like stens that could be a SBR or machine gun violation. Police, even state police never gave me a second look.

Move on to when I bought my m16...

3 weeks in a row, the SAME LEO was called to the range for "illegal machine guns" and he checked me for papers EVERY SINGLE TIME.... Now I just do a data dump.... Toss all my stamps, State MG registration, FFL, SOT down one at a time so fast it makes there head spin.

Last time I was at a range a couple weeks ago I was dialing in a new upper using a suppressor. Some neck beard in the back ground is yelling to his buddy "He's got a silencer, I think we need to call the ATF" I turned around and asked him to lower his voice, some of us are not wearing ear plugs
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Now I just do a data dump.... Toss all my stamps, State MG registration, FFL, SOT down one at a time so fast it makes there head spin.

Some neck beard in the back ground is yelling to his buddy "He's got a silencer, I think we need to call the ATF" I turned around and asked him to lower his voice, some of us are not wearing ear plugs
View Quote

Honestly, these are two things that i have always wanted to do but
1. I have never had LEO question any of my suppressors or full-autos, and some of them come out and shoot with me (good friends).
2. Never shoot at a public range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top