Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2012 5:48:00 AM EDT
The article has a anti-gun viewpoint but it gives some interesting background on SWD

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1993/01/the-story-of-a-gun/303531/#

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 6:29:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The article has a anti-gun viewpoint but it gives some interesting background on SWD

that article is shit.. It is very anti-gun. Dont need that kind of crap.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 6:46:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, yes, the writer presents both an interesting and detailed account of how the Daniels got themselves busted by the ATF, and also his own goofy hyperventilated fear of firearms

Since I wear big boy pants and go to the potty by myself and everything I can read something like that article without becoming emotionally scarred.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Certainly an interesting read.  Not what I would have written, but thought provoking about the issues surrounding our hobby.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I just thought it was hilarious how eager the Daniels were to push the bounries of the NFA laws

You fuck with such stuff at your own peril

They were right up in ATF's face, obnoxious and loud about it

As john gotti found out, you don't dare the government to take you down, make it a test of egos

because the gov will comply with your request

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just thought it was hilarious how eager the Daniels were to push the bounries of the NFA laws

You fuck with such stuff at your own peril

They were right up in ATF's face, obnoxious and loud about it

As john gotti found out, you don't dare the government to take you down, make it a test of egos

because the gov will comply with your request

Good lord...that writer is a complete jack ass.  Cool story though...thanks for the read.

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#6]
That douche is full of shit.

Small Arms Review had a much better non vagina based review and history. Gordon Ingram designed the gun with the intent to sell it to the CIA, not "Latin American guerrillas".

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know, I find hysterical anti-gun reporters to be amusing to read

like the ones that go to gun shows and describe all the zany horrors like it's some sort of violent freak show of reactionaries

they see a display case full of german regimental badges for sale and they call it "nazi symbols" like there are guys goose stepping around in kkk robes

liberals - they say the darndest things!

also, it's fun to annoy liberals.  they sputter with anger at the idea of an anglo-Christian cro-magnon man that they "just can't reach".

As in "why are these white redneck guys (tm) clinging to guns and religion??!!  that ruger 10/22 is not a little rifle that shoots 22s, it's a racist totem of intolerance (tm)!!"
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 4:04:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Pure gold.  Quote: "Mounting evidence suggests that the mere presence of a gun can lead to injury or death."  That's pretty rich.  The Atlantic, while a couple miles left of center, usually has articles that are good mental fodder and explain current thoughts in trends in thinking of respected liberals (generally not people respected here, but respected at large).  

OP, thanks for sharing.  I think the glimpse back into 1993 is valuable as many of the same statistics and arguments are wheeling back out in light of the Colorado tragedy and other perfectly good tragedies that be wasted from a lack of exploitation.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#9]
After the blatantly un-Constitutional Hughes Amendment was passed in 1986, several prominent manufacturers stuck their necks out to challenge it in court.  Several cases were won in District courts.  But since it never went to the US Supreme Court, we are still stuck with the MG ban.

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think the glimpse back into 1993 is valuable as many of the same statistics and arguments are wheeling back out in light of the Colorado tragedy and other perfectly good tragedies that be wasted from a lack of exploitation.

I agree.  I was only 8 in 1993 so I didn't know what was going on back then at all and shouldn't have really anyways.

Honestly looking at articles like this one and others from the 1980s especially, it looks like gun rights were at FAR more danger then than they are now.  I feel like the internet has a huge hand in this.

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, he's a douche. The guy bashes FFL's throughout the whole article, and then he becomes an FFL himself. Douche.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:15:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

After the blatantly un-Constitutional Hughes Amendment was passed in 1986, several prominent manufacturers stuck their necks out to challenge it in court.  Several cases were won in District courts.  But since it never went to the US Supreme Court, we are still stuck with the MG ban.

The ATF never filed an appeal, knowing they would lose.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I love the Daniels.. pushin the envelope.  In your face ATF ha
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top