Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2011 10:25:52 PM EDT
I am thinking about buying a Steyr AUG registered trigger pack. I already have a semi-auto Steyr AUG A1 that I would like to use as a host. Can I use a full-auto bolt carrier assembly in my semi-auto gun? Or do I need to create a trip on my semi-auto bolt carrier somehow? I know with the AR-15 you can use an M-16 bolt carrier assembly, but not sure if it's the same way with the Steyr AUG. I would prefer to be able to use the factory full-auto bolt carrier though since they contain anti-bounce pins.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I've forgotten allot of my AUG research but I'll try:

1.  Auto AUG stocks have large recoil rods.
2.  Auto bolt carriers have correspondingly large recoil tubes.
3.  Auto carriers have anti-bounce weights in the tubes.
4.  Auto carriers have trips at the rear.
5. Semi stocks have small recoil rods.
6. Semi carriers have corresponding small tubes and no anti-bounce weights or trips.

Now this gets confusing as hell, the only reason I know all this is because I have a real AUG and a semi 9mm conversion.  I had to weld/machine a trip on my 9mm carrier, drill the recoil tube ends for large rods and fit anti-bounce weights.  The thing still doesn't run properly because, as I found out after, there's a separate 9mm stock with a modified ejection port to stop spent cases hanging up.

I doubt you'll have the same issues if the trigger pack was designed to work with civilian AUGs to begin with.

Link Posted: 8/3/2011 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Great info thanks. Sounds like I will have weld a trip onto a semi-auto carrier to work with a registered trigger pack. That or I might want to just sell my semi AUG and buy a RR AUG instead.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/index.html

Call Pete and he will answer all your questions for sure. I believe you have to change out everything but the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Are not the "special receiver" guns good to go for a trigger pack ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top