Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 9:39:53 AM EDT
I have a large pile of sten mags to test in my m11/9. in a perfect world a full 32 rounds should "prove" that a particular magazine works or not.

Would 10 rounds be a decent start? I have 48 magazines and I really dont want to dump 1400 rounds to just test the mags.

what say you guys?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a large pile of sten mags to test in my m11/9. in a perfect world a full 32 rounds should "prove" that a particular magazine works or not.

Would 10 rounds be a decent start? I have 48 magazines and I really dont want to dump 1400 rounds to just test the mags.

what say you guys?

This is just my opinion, but when the mag is full you have the most spring tension and therefore the greatest possibility of the bolt not stripping the round off. Also, when the mag is near empty you have the least spring tension and the possibility that the spring will not lift the round up and position it for feeding. To truly test the mag you need to try it full and and also near empty. To conserve ammo you could load the mag full, fire 4-5 rounds then manually strip out 25 or so rounds and fire the last 4-5 rounds. Would be time consuming, but would save a lot of ammo.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#2]
maybe I should just load up a few K and wait to test till I get my LAGE upper for it.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Tony has good advice.

Of the mags which seem fine, set them aside.  Each time you go to the range, load up a bunch of those 'untested' mags.  Don't bother with 32rds.  I have yet to see any STEn mags work reliably with 32rds.  I always used 30rds.  At the range, if a mag gives you problems, set it aside.  The ones that work perfectly, you need to mark in some fashion.  I used a Sharpie and put my initials along the bottom of one side.  Eventually, you will have a box of good mags, and a box of ones that are bad or need tinkering with.  With a little Google-foo, you will find several places that show how to make STEn mags run reliably.  
If you don't like to tinker, just sell them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess I should have stated I have 48 mags that actually fit well and allow the bolt to cycle in the m11.

I have 64 mags total.

Im pretty sure I will not shoot the stock upper much after I get the lage.  I have a new M10 anyway so I will dick with that until then.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I would just pick out 5 or 10 mags and use them at the range, depending how much you want to shoot that day. Have fun shooting and if a magazine malfunctions then mark it so you don't use it again. Sten mags are usually very reliable so i doubt you will have any issues. I personally just find a few good mags for each of my guns and keep using them at every range trip.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would just pick out 5 or 10 mags and use them at the range, depending how much you want to shoot that day. Have fun shooting and if a magazine malfunctions then mark it so you don't use it again. Sten mags are usually very reliable so i doubt you will have any issues. I personally just find a few good mags for each of my guns and keep using them at every range trip.

Good point but I really just wnat to get ones that I KNOW work and get rid of the rest

thanks for all your input
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a place to start for (1) constant of all your magazines –– adjust the feed lips to present the round at approx 8 degree....

Take a long screwdriver and push the followers down and back up a few times, feeling for tension/smoothness/binding.

I keep 11 for when & if I shoot a subgun match, the rest is randomly played with for range fun... I have maybe 30 mags.

Mine will feed both the fast (std M11-9)  and slow (TASK Style) bolts

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top