Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2010 2:04:51 PM EDT
Building an SBR (as soon as I get my stamp!) and am STUCK between these two barrels.  This will be semi-only, but I'll be ordering an M4-2000 can for it right after I build it.

I clean the crap out of my weapons after every single range session and typically never really dump through mag after mag.

I would enjoy an occasional bump-fire now and again though.

Is it worth giving up the polygonal rifling and accuracy to go with the insurance of chrome lining for my needs?  Noveske said expect 1/2"-1" out of their SS barrels and 1"-1 1/2" groups out of their chrome lined barrels.  Obviously I'm not building a 10.5" match competition rifle here.

The 10.5 is 24oz and the 10.5 shorty is 22oz, so a slight weight savings with the shorty.

I also just read a thread on here saying that Noveske doesn't recommend running a can with their SS barrels?  Why in the world do they sell the SS barrels with switchblocks then??  Not sure if I buy that one.  F/A I can see, bu tjust a can?

Please help...

Noveske 10.5" CQB 5.56mm Barrel

Noveske 10.5" Light Shorty Lo-Pro Barrel
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Building an SBR (as soon as I get my stamp!) and am STUCK between these two barrels.  This will be semi-only, but I'll be ordering an M4-2000 can for it right after I build it.

I clean the crap out of my weapons after every single range session and typically never really dump through mag after mag.

Is it worth giving up the polygonal rifling and accuracy to go with the insurance of chrome lining for my needs?  Noveske said expect 1/2"-1" out of their SS barrels and 1"-1 1/2" groups out of their chrome lined barrels.  Obviously I'm not building a 10.5" match competition rifle here.

The 10.5 is 24oz and the 10.5 shorty is 22oz, so a slight weight savings with the shorty.

I also just read a thread on here saying that Noveske doesn't recommend running a can with their SS barrels?  Why in the world do they sell the SS barrels with switchblocks then??   Not sure if I buy that one.  F/A I can see, bu tjust a can?

Please help...

That's not true. I saw the same post and was concerned since I just ordered a Noveske 11.5". I called Noveske and they said there would be no issues running a suppressor on any of their SS barrels.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm building a 10.5" soon and I planned on using the 10.5" low-pro shorty. Its a CQB weapon, your talking about 1 to 1.5 inches at 100 yards, thats not CQB. Besides I'd rather have longevity anyway, 2X chrome lining
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW I have a stainless match midweight 10.5 inch barrel.

It is accurate, reliable, and shoots great.
It is also about 10 oz heavier then what I really needed.

SBR's are often best employed like longer ranged SMGs.  Putting match barrels on them is usually just adding weight for little benefit.

Consider if you really need the accuracy of a stainless match barrel before you put down the cash, then carry the weight of one.

Also if your going to strap a VFG, tac light, IR laser, NVDs, etc on your rifle.  Every ounce adds up.  Don't start heavy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
i went chrome lined with my noveske 10.5
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input... I think I'm going to go with the lo-pro chrome lined shorty.

I agree about the weight and the fact that this will have one of my H-1 4MOA sights on it - pretty much CQB only.

And, in the end, it's a Noveske, which means it's at the top teir of accracy to begin with, even if it's chrome lined... it'll probably shoot better than I do, just like my 3 other Noveske barrels...

Now if my dang STAMP would just get here ! ! !
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also just read a thread on here saying that Noveske doesn't recommend running a can with their SS barrels?  Why in the world do they sell the SS barrels with switchblocks then??   Not sure if I buy that one.  F/A I can see, bu tjust a can?

Please help...

That's not true. I saw the same post and was concerned since I just ordered a Noveske 11.5". I called Noveske and they said there would be no issues running a suppressor on any of their SS barrels.

I've got over 4000 rounds through my 10.5" Noveske SS and all of it has been suppressed..Not one single issue to date..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top