Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2010 7:19:58 AM EDT
Hello what are your thoughts on a Eotech 553 on top of a saw ? What optics would you run on a M249 Minimi Para model?

Thanks

Link Posted: 4/11/2010 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#1]
IMO running a SAW, it's too erratic to consider an optic like an eotech.  But that's just me.

On another note, details on the gun?  How much, specs, etc.?
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#2]
im not sure how much the Army paid for it, it a standard 249 with a short barrel and the collapsible stock  its a half inch longer than a M4
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#3]
What are you doing with it?

Blasting targets at 100m, Aimpoint or Eotech is perfect.

Once you start getting some range though, IDing targets gets to be more important. Is that a funny looking rock or a target? A small tough 3-4X scope gets you the ability to SEE and still have a decent field of view.

If it were me I'd look at the ELCAN scopes and the IOR fixed 3X. Small and tough.

BSW
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
IMO running a SAW, it's too erratic to consider an optic like an eotech.  But that's just me.

You would be wrong. I run an Eotech XPS-2 with the two dots on my SAW out here and I love it. Before that I run a 552, everyone else in my platoon runs an Aimpoint, either COMP M or M4.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 8:22:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Once you start getting some range though, IDing targets gets to be more important. Is that a funny looking rock or a target? A small tough 3-4X scope gets you the ability to SEE and still have a decent field of view.

If it were me I'd look at the ELCAN scopes and the IOR fixed 3X. Small and tough.

BSW

Elcan are utter garbage. They break all the time and lose zero constantly. Don't bother, every gunner in my platoon myself included turned ours in and they are free for us if that tells you anything.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I will be in a urban area. I may or may not get issued a M145 MGO but those are large and bulky on top of the 249  but do have 3.4X magnification
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#7]
thats what i figured, im glad u got in here Im a MP gunner also.....do you like the mini eotech or the micro aimpoint i said about the 553 cause i already own one

Quoted:

Quoted:

BSW

Elcan are utter garbage. They break all the time and lose zero constantly. Don't bother, every gunner in my platoon myself included turned ours in and they are free for us if that tells you anything.

Link Posted: 4/11/2010 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Personally I'd put an Aimpoint Micro on it, put a good BZO on it, then aim low and walk rounds into the target at what ever distance.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would be wrong. I run an Eotech XPS-2 with the two dots on my SAW out here and I love it. Before that I run a 552, everyone else in my platoon runs an Aimpoint, either COMP M or M4.

How can I be wrong when I clearly stated its my opinion.  Of course an eotech or aimpoint will work.  I'm a big fan of iron sights.  An eotech or aimpoint provides no magnification by themselves so for ME, I would stick to iron sights.  Now, like the previous poster said, going past 100m is a different story.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BSW

How long ago was that? Seems that about 2 years ago, the Elcan issues were fixed. My unit seems to really like em. I've heard good and bad, but the bad seems to be pre-07

OP, if it were me, I'd go with the Spectre dr. While it's being used on a lot of carbines, I guess it was originally designed as a LMG MGO. The other choice would be the Elcan MGO. Both are pricey though. You may be able to get one through your unit.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 1:09:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I have had all my failures with brand new Elcans in the past two years. Every time they broke right out of the box, they always internally fogged  up in the slightest of bad weather, they didn't hold a zero worth a damn, and they are huge and heavy, and the eye relief sucks, especially for what they are. ACOG's are far superior for this type of application. We ditched every last MGO and all the gunners much prefer the CCO's, even the ones who were dead set against using them instead saying they wanted irons. When forced to just try them out they ended up loving them and every one now uses them. Again, MGO's are trash. I've had them fail on me in Fort Drum in the Winter, Fort Polk in the summer, Camp Atterbury in the winter, and Afghanistan in the summer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 2:20:33 AM EDT
[#12]
The Marines just put ACOGs on their SAWs.  

Link Posted: 4/13/2010 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm running an aimpoint micro on my shrike, I know its not the same, but from a beltfed .223, its working nicely so far. Small and light, and its an aimpoint, so you know its well built. I'm only shooting at 100yards, and the only targets I'd have to "ID" are melons, but I have an ACOG if I needed it.

Link Posted: 4/13/2010 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Both of my SAW gunners had Aimpoints on theirs. One of the other squads had an Acog and seemed to like it.
The only time we fired them was for qual, but they looked cool riding around in the back of a Hummer!
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a Eotech XPS and will be using it thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Side note, it appears that the USMC just recently adopted a 3.5 power ACOG with BDC for the SAW along with a piggyback RMR.

Wonder how thats going to work out for them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:32:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Sorry for the delay in follow up. If you're an MP gunner, you'll most likely be mounted, most vehicles here have an eagle mount anyways and being that we tend to roll quite heavy as MP's, you'll most likely have a 240B eagle mounted on your turret and your SAW will sit in the truck unused. It's far better to have your crew served M2 or Mk 19 up top with an eagle mounted 240 and an M4 for quick close in work than an SAW in place of either the 240 or the M4 IMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top