Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2010 5:34:23 PM EDT
Hey all,
I was looking at getting one of the Noveske 10.5 inch rifles and wanted to know a few things about the so called "STAMP".

1) How often do I have to pay for this, is it a one time deal?
2) How much is the stamp?
3) How long are wait times to get a stamp?

Thank you,
Marc
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey all,
I was looking at getting one of the Noveske 10.5 inch rifles and wanted to know a few things about the so called "STAMP".

1) How often do I have to pay for this, is it a one time deal? One Time.
2) How much is the stamp? $200.00
3) How long are wait times to get a stamp? Varies

Thank you,
Marc

Check out the Armory threads.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]
One time deal
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the replies...one last question

Can anyone get a SBR? Well not a felon, but any law abiding citizen?
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

As long as you can legally own one and your state allows SBR's.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#5]
most of my stamps averaged 3 months give or take a few weeks
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends on your state. Check the class 3 forum stickies for more info.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
most of my stamps averaged 3 months give or take a few weeks

That's about how long mine took.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Provided you are allowed to own one in your area & you can pass the check then yes. And it's a one time $200 tax per receiver. There is a difference than just one time fee period. DO NOT install a short barreled upper on a receiver that has not been registered as a SBR or is not a pistol lower.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#9]
So I need to buy the gun before I can even fill out the paperwork?

I guess I buy it from Noveske, they give me a serial number, and I fill out paperwork. Once I get apporved they ship it to a store and I pick it up?

How can you fill out the paperwork without buying the gun?
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Provided you are allowed to own one in your area & you can pass the check then yes. And it's a one time $200 tax per receiver. There is a difference than just one time fee period. DO NOT install a short barreled upper on a receiver that has not been registered as a SBR or is not a pistol lower.

Very good.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I guess I buy it from Noveske, they give me a serial number, and I fill out paperwork. Once I get apporved they ship it to a store and I pick it up?

You purchase the gun and they ship it to the FFL of your choice. You fill out the form 4 with the help of your FFL and send the paperwork along with the $200 to the BATFE and when the stamp comes back to the FFL, you get to take home your rifle..The wait is the worst part of it but well worth it..
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#12]
So after the stamp, I have to get something engraved on the barrel? WTF!

Sorry, as you all respond I am reading in the Armory forums about stuff.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So after the stamp, I have to get something engraved on the barrel? WTF!

Sorry, as you all respond I am reading in the Armory forums about stuff.

That's only if you register a receiver that is already registered as a rifle 16" or greater. If you're buying a complete SBR, then you do not have to engrave anything..
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for you help man. Looks like I have a decision to make, a 10.5" stainless steel Noveske rifle or a 16" 7.62X51 Noveske. The 10.5 is about $1200 cheaper. Then again I already have a 5.56 (Colt 6920), and if I hit something with a 7.62 its going down no matter what.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#15]
If you file a Form 1, application to make and register a firearm, (E.G. registering your own lower) you have it engraved. I generally have that done while waiting for the stamp to come back. Buying an already registered SBR, the selling dealer or individual will transfer it to a dealer in your state(Not just any FFL,  dealer has to hold an SOT (Special Occupational Tax) license, also known as "Class 3 dealer). That dealer will send your paperwork to BATF and when it's approved, can transfer it to you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#16]
MG - machine gun
SI - sound suppressor (silencer)
SR - short barreled rifle
SG - short shotgun
AOW - any other weapon
LBDD - large bore destructive device
EXPDD - explosive, incendiary or poison gas destructive device

STATEMG SI SR SG AOWLBDD EXPDD Comments

AK Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
AL Y Y N N Y Y ?
AR Y Y Y Y Y Y ? (state registration of pistol cal. MG's over .30)
AZ Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
CA Y N Y Y Y Y Y (requires discretionary and rarely issued permit for mg, lbdd or  from state Dept. of
Justice; no AOW pen guns; C&R sg, sr only)
CO Y Y Y Y Y Y Y (requires state explosives permit for expdd)
CT Y Y Y Y Y Y ? (no select fire mg's-full auto's only, after 1993 assault weapon ban, state registration of
mg's)
DE N N Y N Y Y N (no smooth bore pistol AOW's)
FL Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
GA Y Y Y Y Y Y Y (no incendiary expdd's)
HI N N N N N N N
IA N Y Y Y Y Y Y (only si, sr, sg, lbdd and expdd designated as collector's items by the Comm'r of Public
Safety - they use the ATF C&R list)
ID Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
IL N N N N Y ? N
IN Y Y Y N Y Y N
KS N N Y N Y Y N DEWAT machine guns are OK.
KY Y Y Y Y Y Y ?
LA Y Y Y Y Y Y Y (mg's require a permit to purchase - war relics only; mg's, sr, si, sg and some expdd's
require a permit to purchase)
MA Y N Y N N Y N (license for mg's required; 1998 law bans covert firearms (AOW's), short shotguns)
MD Y Y Y Y Y Y N (mg's must be registered)
ME Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
MI Y N Y Y Y Y Y (FFL needed to own machine guns; no incendiary expdd; C&R sr, sg only)
MN Y N Y Y Y Y ? (C&R mg, sg only, registration required)
MO Y N Y Y Y N N (C&R mg, sr, sg only to non-FFL holders; FFL holders (including C&R) any mg, sr, sg)
MS Y Y Y Y Y Y Y (as of 7/1/00, silencers are legal, but must be registered with the state)
MT Y Y Y Y Y N N (state law banning silencers and requiring pistol cal. mg's over .30 be registered with state
repealed 4/23/99)
NE Y Y Y Y Y Y N
NC Y Y Y Y Y Y Y (sheriff's permit required for mg's; must be FFL holder (including C&R) for mg, si, sr, sg
lbdd and expdd, or fall into another exception, see comments below)
ND Y Y Y Y Y Y Y (fed. "licensees" required to register all NFA weapons with state when possessed for "protection or sale")

NH Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
NJ Y N N N Y N N (mg requires discretionary and rarely issued permit from state court)
NM Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
NV Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
NY N N N N Y Y N (AOW smooth bore handguns are allowed, on a state pistol license)
OH Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
OK Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
OR Y Y Y Y Y Y Y (no incendiary expdd's)
PA Y Y Y Y Y Y N
RI N N N N Y Y ?
SC Y Y Y Y Y Y ? In 2001, S.C. law was changed to permit all Federally registered items
SD Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
TN Y Y Y Y Y Y ?
TX Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
UT Y Y Y Y Y Y Y
VA Y Y Y Y Y Y Y (state registration of all mg's)
VT Y N Y Y Y Y Y
WA N Y N N Y Y N (silencer may not be used on a gun)
WI Y Y Y Y Y Y Y (permit required for expdd, no incendiary expdd's; no pistol caliber mg's w/o permit)
WV Y Y Y Y Y Y ?
WY Y Y Y Y Y Y ?
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you are registering an existing lower as a SBR, it goes on a Form 1 & yes, you'll need the lower before you can register it. For a Form 1 you need to have your name, city & state engraved on the lower as well since you are the "maker" of the SBR. If buying an existing SBR from a dealer then it goes on a Form 4 & nothing needs to be engraved.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Step 1.  Find out if your state allows it.
Step 2.  Call your local sheriff and find out if he will sign off on the form (Some states allow them, but some locally elected sheriffs in their infinite wisdom will not sign off on the form)
Step 3.  Assuming first two answers are yes - If it is a complete rifle you will have to find a local SOT Class 2 dealer that will do the transfer for you, and they will likely have a packet with all necessary finger print cards and forms to be filled out.  If it is just an upper you can register one of your existing lowers (If you check the armory page there is a link to a website where you can  autofill the forms on the webpage and then print them out Title II. com or something like that) You will have to get the fingerprint cards from the ATF you can order them from there website. Then you will have to have your lower engraved with your name, city, state to ATF standards (depth requirements if you get this far just ask on the armory page and someone can tell you exactly how deep it is).
Step 4.  Get all the paperwork done 2 copies front and back (they do not like separate sheets), finger prints, $200 check - one time, send it in and wait.........I've had one come back in 5 weeks and one took about 3 months.
Step 5.  Resist the urge to purchase any upper under a total length of 16" until you get approved.  (They cannot deny you if you have a legal right to own one....see above)  I have seen alot of guys post pics of "shorty" uppers and post something like I'm just waiting on my stamp.  I'll probably get killed for this by someone whose done it, and it is true you can let a friend keep it who has a registered lower or who has no AR 15 lower at all to put it together.  To me its just to risky so what if you have to wait 3 months.  
Step 6.  ENJOY

After typing this response I can't believe I went through the process twice!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Step 2.  Call your local sheriff and find out if he will sign off on the form (Some states allow them, but some locally elected sheriffs in their infinite wisdom will not sign off on the form)
Step 3.  Assuming first two answers are yes - If it is a complete rifle you will have to find a local SOT Class 2 dealer that will do the transfer for you, and they will likely have a packet with all necessary finger print cards and forms to be filled out.  If it is just an upper you can register one of your existing lowers (If you check the armory page there is a link to a website where you can  autofill the forms on the webpage and then print them out Title II. com or something like that) You will have to get the fingerprint cards from the ATF you can order them from there website. Then you will have to have your lower engraved with your name, city, state to ATF standards (depth requirements if you get this far just ask on the armory page and someone can tell you exactly how deep it is).
Step 4.  Get all the paperwork done 2 copies front and back (they do not like separate sheets), finger prints, $200 check - one time, send it in and wait.........I've had one come back in 5 weeks and one took about 3 months.
Step 5.  Resist the urge to purchase any upper under a total length of 16" until you get approved.  (They cannot deny you if you have a legal right to own one....see above)  I have seen alot of guys post pics of "shorty" uppers and post something like I'm just waiting on my stamp.  I'll probably get killed for this by someone whose done it, and it is true you can let a friend keep it who has a registered lower or who has no AR 15 lower at all to put it together.  To me its just to risky so what if you have to wait 3 months.  
Step 6.  ENJOY

After typing this response I can't believe I went through the process twice!!!!!

Been through it 5 times myself, the first back in '82 when I got my M16A1. There are several chief law enforcement officers who can sign the form for you, Sheriff, Chief of Police, your county district attorney, or a judge whose court has felony jurisdiction. If you can;t get a signature you can form a trust or corporation to transfer the gun to. No LEO signoff or fingerprints needed for that method. I've had all my SBRS registered to my professional corporation.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Step 6.  ENJOY

Been through it 5 times myself, the first back in '82 when I got my M16A1. There are several chief law enforcement officers who can sign the form for you, Sheriff, Chief of Police, your county district attorney, or a judge whose court has felony jurisdiction. If you can;t get a signature you can form a trust or corporation to transfer the gun to. No LEO signoff or fingerprints needed for that method. I've had all my SBRS registered to my professional corporation.

I'm on stamp #11
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#21]
jcrowl,

Thanks for cleaning up my mess I forgot to include the trust and corporation option.  You and jboy723 are sick!!!!!  We would get along great
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
jcrowl,

Thanks for cleaning up my mess I forgot to include the trust and corporation option.  You and jboy723 are sick!!!!!  We would get along great

They are newbies.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/1498stampcollection.jpg

Wow!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top