Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2009 11:50:04 AM EDT
How hard would it be to modify a sten to use ar15 firecontrol parts? The bolt would have to be modified for firing pin.

Anyone done this?

J
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Sten conversions exist - cheap is not the word I would use. The design requires EXTENSIVE rework and numerous custom parts. I doubt any AR15 parts would be useful. One of the cheap MAC clones would be way cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Build an AR lower.  SBR it if you want a short barrel on it.  Get or build a 9mm upper and get the magazine block of your choice-there ARE blocks for STEN magazines.  Cheap (under $1000 unless you splurge) and fairly quick.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 3:38:19 AM EDT
[#3]
The STEn was WW2 expedient, the Sterling was a peacetime commercial SMG that is superior in every regard and has the best SMG magazine ever invented.  Semi-auto Sterlings are available.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 6:42:59 AM EDT
[#4]
...and rather expensive.  Title II Sterlings are quite affordable for SMGs, at least when you can find them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#5]
classicarms has semi auto sterlings for $479
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a master peice arms m11 (mac clone) in 9mm. It takes sten mags.  Cost me $400.  It has a thread barrel so I can use my silencer on it too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#7]
There was a semiauto sten build done in shotgun news using an ar15 fcg. It was an labor intensive build but inexpensive.....if you have a bridgeport.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top