Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2008 1:38:31 PM EDT
I'm wanting to build a SBR with a 10 1/2" barrel but have a dealer I respect telling me they can be a lot of trouble and that I should use a 11 1/2". I've read many post with owners that like their 10 1/2" so I'm not that worried but if I'm wrong please tell me why.

If you had trouble getting a 10 1/2" to run what did it take to fix it?

Thanks for any help!  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#1]

i think the old school of thought was that, 11.5" and up were good to go, while 10.5" and down could be "finicky".

there are a lot of manufacturers turning out good product now, and many people are having 0 problems with even "mid-grade" 7.5" uppers.

if you want a 10.5", pick up a LMT or Colt, and you'll be good to go. for a little bit more coin, grab a noveske.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a CMMG 10.3" upper.  It's run like a top since the day I built it.  I would say it beats all the 16"-24" Bushy's, Armalites and Oly's I've owned so far.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can spring for a Noveske, they include a piggy that assists the functioning out of the shorter barrel.  You can also order the KX3 separately and install it on your gun.  I have one on my 13.7" barrel and it's totally reliable.  I'm waiting for delivery of my 7.5" Diplomat which I also anticipate will be 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I built a 10.5 with a Rock River chrome lined barrwl and have had no problems. I do use piggy break.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you want a 10.5", pick up a LMT or Colt, and you'll be good to go. for a little bit more coin, grab a noveske.

Both ARs I've owned were Colts and this is my first build so does LMT build barrels or uppers? Where the best place to buy one?

Thanks again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top