Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2007 3:21:54 PM EDT
Do any of you do your own receiver engraving?

Rather than pay $35 to have every SBR engraved, I was thinking about buying an inexpensive engraving tool and doing it myself.

Any thoughts, tips, advice, etc.?
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#2]
All the DIY engraving I've seen looks like crap.  On top of that, there are certain regulations for the lettering size and depth that must be met to comply with BATFE regs.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#3]
trophy shop did mine
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
trophy shop did mine

Yup.  Same here.

Shhh, don't tell anyone.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]

"trophy shop did mine"

"Yup.  Same here.

Shhh, don't tell anyone."

Well, thats great and was my thought, too. Unfortunately, they're  are several here and none will do the engraving while I'm there. They want me to leave the item (I didn't tell them what it was on the phone) and depending on the place, they will get to it from two days to a week. I can't hand them whats legally a firearm and walk off.

I'm going to try calling around again Monday and try to make an appointment and/or paying extra to get it dome while I'm there.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do any of you do your own receiver engraving?

Rather than pay $35 to have every SBR engraved, I was thinking about buying an inexpensive engraving tool and doing it myself.

Any thoughts, tips, advice, etc.?

You're going to spend $200 on a tax stamp and build a weapon you'll pretty much have to keep for life, since they have little resale value, and you're going to try and save $20 ($15 for an engraving tool versus $35 for professional engraving) by doing a completely half-assed job on it?  

That is all you.  I, on the other hand, want my NFA stuff to look nice, since it costs so much and is such a pain in the ass, so some half-assed hand engraving job isn't in my future.

The thought of doing it myself wasn't about being cheap, but rather about not wasting money "IF" engraving with a proper tool/machine wasn't all that difficult. For someone who only has one or two SBR's, I agree, it definately makes more sense to have it professionally done. But for those who collect SBR's, the idea of DIY made sense.

I have a few new registered SBR's that I need to have engraved before taking them out to the range, and have a couple more SBR parts kits which I may Form 1 and build within the next 6 months. But from the responses I'm reading on this thread, it sounds like even using a proper engraving tool won't ensure a nice neat job without the expertise, so I guess I'll just pass on the idea.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#7]
i did mine buy i have a friend with a laser.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I did mine and I'm happy with it...

Link Posted: 10/1/2007 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#9]
 Could you please post a picture of the dremel tool bit that you used for this engraving?Ronzo
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I did my own.  Not the best, but it worked.  The last one I used a center punch and did a dot matrix style.  Wish I had used the dot matrix template as stated above, as I did mine free hand.  
If you want a professional look, pay to get it done.  If your impatient as I am or don't care, try it yourself.  

Rifle still shoots fine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I did my own.  Not the best, but it worked.  The last one I used a center punch and did a dot matrix style.  Wish I had used the dot matrix template as stated above, as I did mine free hand.  
If you want a professional look, pay to get it done.  If your impatient as I am or don't care, try it yourself.  

Rifle still shoots fine.

Well said dump.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#12]
i used to know a guy that did engraving in his home,
met him thru a friend,
he did engraving for several local jewelry stores, and would do any gun/ nfa work for a hefty fee, (usually a 12pk of budweiser)

may want to find a friendly jeweler and ask a few Q's, won't hurt to ask,
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The thought of doing it myself wasn't about being cheap, but rather about not wasting money "IF" engraving with a proper tool/machine wasn't all that difficult. For someone who only has one or two SBR's, I agree, it definately makes more sense to have it professionally done. But for those who collect SBR's, the idea of DIY made sense.

I have a few new registered SBR's that I need to have engraved before taking them out to the range, and have a couple more SBR parts kits which I may Form 1 and build within the next 6 months. But from the responses I'm reading on this thread, it sounds like even using a proper engraving tool won't ensure a nice neat job without the expertise, so I guess I'll just pass on the idea.

There was some stuff about an acid etcher a while back. I think you'd have to make sure the depth is enough, but since you'd be doing the same thing over and over again, it would seem to make sense.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#14]

I am always amazed at how short sighted and cheap some people can be.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, if the SBR has no resale value, other than parts, why would I care about teh engraving?  Spray some paint over it, and unless you specifically looked for it, you wouldn't notice it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:24:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I shoot my NFA items, not put them in a display case to impress people.  Yes, I engraved my lowers myself.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top