Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2006 6:59:58 AM EDT

i'm looking for some info on transferable AK's. i'm not nearly as familiar with them as i am with makes/models/conversions of the M16 family.

are there any "good" ones out there?

are there any i should stay away from?

who did the "good" conversions?

bear in mind, i'd be looking for a solid reliable *shooter* and not necessarily a collection piece.

it seems the "krink-conversions" must have been the AK-du-juris a few years back. are these worth looking into (since i'm seeing a few of them), or stay away?

Link Posted: 10/11/2006 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know anything about them myself, but here's some to look at - they're prices tend to be a tad high, though .....

Nice original VN bring-back reweld in there ......

www.autoweapons.com/products/products.html
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you shot an AK on auto?  

They are a "one trick pony" and (in my opinion) not very comfortable to shoot on auto.  They are priced high because of rarity, not because of utility.  Money is better spent elsewhere, unless you are rounding-out a collection of machineguns.

Just my humble opinion.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Have you shot an AK on auto?  

They are a "one trick pony" and (in my opinion) not very comfortable to shoot on auto.  They are priced high because of rarity, not because of utility.  Money is better spent elsewhere, unless you are rounding-out a collection of machineguns.

Just my humble opinion.

Joe

You might want to get an M16 and (or if you already have one) get a 7.62x39 conversion for it ....
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Obtain $17,000

Poke around on some websites

Pay $200 to the .gov

Pay $50-$100 to your dealer

There you go
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

i'm looking for some info on transferable AK's. i'm not nearly as familiar with them as i am with makes/models/conversions of the M16 family.

are there any "good" ones out there?

are there any i should stay away from?

who did the "good" conversions?

bear in mind, i'd be looking for a solid reliable *shooter* and not necessarily a collection piece.

it seems the "krink-conversions" must have been the AK-du-juris a few years back. are these worth looking into (since i'm seeing a few of them), or stay away?

My humble advice...........DON'T

I found out the hard way. Uncomfortable to shoot, minimal accessories, ammo getting harder to find and not as cheap as it once was, and too much damn money for what you get. For that money get a M16 or HK host and sear as your money would be much better spent.

YMMV

Click To See The M60E4 In Action

RIA M60-E4
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the same opinion as the others: I hardly ever shoot mine and it isn't worth one quarter of what an HK is worth for fun or utility.  In fact, I can think of ten SMGs or assault rifles I'd prefer to own instead of an AK, including a select-fire version of an Army Jager .22LR AK.  I think Gunsamerica still has a .22 AJ rifle listed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Subguns has one listed now for $15,000
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Good info. I plan on renting an AK at the range to see how it feels...

Are the NEWER AKs any more comfortable or easy to shoot? I'm asking because I'm wondering why in the hell so many countries use them if they "suck"

They were voted the #1 Rilfe/Machine Gun, werent' they?
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#10]
They are used because they are reliable, bullet-proof, idiot-proof, and very cheap to produce and obtain. As far as enjoyable to shoot and accurate....that is it's downfall for civillian ownership/use. I would definitely rent one and put some full-auto fire down range prior to spending my money on one. I believe you will discover why the attitudes from the posters here are not favorable.

Click To See The M60E4 In Action

RIA M60-E4
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I "want" one to round out my collection, but they are just so impractical, that I'll probably save up and look for something more unique, such as a Potato Digger or Lewis.

AK's really are a one trick pony, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#12]
What about the legal semi-auto AK "clones" out there? I know nothing about the Ak47!
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Jason,

Most any semi AK should work out fine.  I personally like my AK74 (Sar 2) better than the generic AK47, but it's just my opinion.

I also have a real nice Poly Tech, that is a very sweet AK.

If you want semi fun, buy a cheap AK and have some fun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 3:31:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Another thing I should have mentioned in my post: Galil and Valmet AKs are a completely different kettle of fish.  They are as easy to shoot as an M16, the only disadvantage being they completely destroy brass during ejection.  They have all of the reliability of an AK and the triggers are usually better.  Like any other AK they are not very versatile since you can't change calibers easiy or swap around barrels.  If you absolutely had to have an AK a Galil SAR in 5.56 would be the one, quite historically significant as well.  Valmets are just as nice but less historically significant.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 4:37:55 AM EDT
[#15]

wow, i didn't think there would be so many nay-sayers on the AK...

good info though.

this will most assuredly NOT be "rounding out a collection". i've been looking and saving for my first MG for the last year and a half or so, and i haven't yet decided what i'd like to get. there are three guns i've been mulling over are an M16 conversion, fullsize Uzi, and an AK. i've managed to glean quite a bit of info on the 16 and the Uzi, but i've neglected the AK a bit.

the reason i keep thikning AK is because i know it will last forever. this really will be my one and only MG as i have limited financial means, and the prices just keep going up.

Uzi i like, but they are what they are. a pistol-caliber subgun, and that's a bit of a drawback for me.

i'd love a 16, but the only "affordable" ones left are all A1 conversions. i'd like a good A2 (reinforced) factory M16 lower, but those are even more then an AK...

Link Posted: 10/12/2006 6:09:22 AM EDT
[#16]
bully, read tony_k's response RE: A2.  He's right on this (as usual) one.
tony_k & the M16A2
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Since this your first MG, get an M16 before there is another price up-swing.

Unless you want a collectable or are going into heavy combat, an A1 will do just fine - lots of A1's survived lots of crap from 1964 through 1985 .....

You can do the things the UZI and AK can do and more - 22LR ----> belt-fed 8MM

Even a 7.62x39 conversion to make it act like an AK.

Maybe get the UZI or AK as your second gun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Nothing wrong with a RDIAS either!
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Get a fullsize UZI

(gratuitous pic not of an UZI)
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I will also 2nd the suggestion of not purchasing an AK47, especially if this is going to be your first Machinegun.

If you really want an AK, go buy a $499 semi version and see if you fall in love it with, before plunking down $15,000 for a transferable MG version.

I really don't like AKs as shooters and am the *proud* owner of a semi (Romanian SAR-1) AK-47 that gets shot exactly 1 time a year.  Got a friend who comes into town every year and just has to shoot the AK, don't know why as everybody else thinks it is a terrible shooter including me.

The only thing that makes a standard AK worse is an underfolder version, especially on full auto as the cheek weld on the underfolder stock is nothing short of horrible.

There are some Pros to the AK47, either semi or transferable.

Pros
1. Cheap parts.
2. Cheap 75rd drums
3. Reliable with generally no tinkering required.
4. Historically important firearm.

Cons
1. Terrible shooter
2. One trick poney
3. Expensive for what you get in a transferable MG version.

If you deceide to go with an transferable AK conversion the main point to look for is to make sure that the rail has been properly slotted to accept the AK autosear.  Back in the heyday leading up to the ban alot of C2s just chopped out a whole section of the carrier rail to make room.

If the conversion was done properly the rail was notched to allow the sear to operate.

There were a host of different C2 who converted AKs but I have never heard of a real preference for one type over the other from a particular C2.  Generally, just about any tranferable AK can be brought up to snuff, no matter how botched the oringinal conversion job.

The cheapest AKs out there are generally the underfolder models, with the .223 caliber guns bringing the lowest $$$ amount. These seem to run in the 13K to 15K range.

Slightly ahead of the 223 underfolders are the 762 underfolders for maybe 500 to 1K more.

Fixed stocks command a premium due to their ability to be turned into Krink conversions and these units see to start around $15,000.

Properly convertd Krinkov guns generally command the highest "conversion gun" premium in the $16,000 range and up.

The most expensive AKs are the "bring back" guns from Viet Nam.   These guns start around $25K for a mediocre condition to $30K+ for a good condition gun with original capture papers, assorted trinkets, original ammo,  and/or pictures of the dead VC it was taken from, etc.

For me, I don't like AK at all and don't really enjoy shooting them.  However, they are something to be studied/respected from both an engineering and historical perspective and would say that in order to have a well rounded out MG "Collection" an AK is a must have,  just from the place it holds in military history.

One day I plan to add a AK to my MG collection for the above stated reason. However, I dont personally think I will see the AK anytime soon as there are other guns on the list that have a higher priority. (M60, HK21, Thompson, 3rd HK Sear, and AUG)

If this is going to be your first MG, I would suggest either a M16 or HK Sear.

James
Austin, Texas
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 6:48:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Unfolder AKs are not too comfortable to shoot but a full stock AK is very nice in any caliber.  Krinks in 5.45 are very very smooth.  I used to have a converted SILE import 7.62x39 full stock and it shot very nice.  Only negative is setting the handguards on fire a few times.  Too bad I had to sell due to lack of money.  Only gun I would look over carefully are the converted SWD guns.  They were .223 that were converted to 7.62 and sometimes didn't work out so good.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

wow, i didn't think there would be so many nay-sayers on the AK...

good info though.

this will most assuredly NOT be "rounding out a collection". i've been looking and saving for my first MG for the last year and a half or so, and i haven't yet decided what i'd like to get. there are three guns i've been mulling over are an M16 conversion, fullsize Uzi, and an AK. i've managed to glean quite a bit of info on the 16 and the Uzi, but i've neglected the AK a bit.

the reason i keep thikning AK is because i know it will last forever. this really will be my one and only MG as i have limited financial means, and the prices just keep going up.

Uzi i like, but they are what they are. a pistol-caliber subgun, and that's a bit of a drawback for me.

i'd love a 16, but the only "affordable" ones left are all A1 conversions. i'd like a good A2 (reinforced) factory M16 lower, but those are even more then an AK...

I gotta join the ranks of conventional wisdom expressed here...

An AK is NOT the best MG for your first! I own and regularly shoot 5 transferable AKs in 7.62..223 & 5.45 in every configuration out there, but would NOT recommend one for your first MG.My first choice would be a M16/RDIAS with an HK sear behind that. No need to repeat all the points allready made here, besides, you are unlikely to find a transferable AK for less money than the 16 or HK sear.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#24]
AKs are a blast!
I wouldn't recommend one as a first MG unless you had your heart set on it.
The horrible recoil can easily be mitigated by welding the gas port up and redrilling it smaller.
I have also found using a US made NATO length buttstock to help ergos.
Add a 30 cal version of a 74 brake and it will turn into a pussycat.
Other option is to turn it into a 74 and shoot the 5.45 cartridge.
They are always easy to use.
I have a 5.45 Krink made out of a Polytech by SWD that I can easily shoot one handed(less recoil and muzzle climb than my MP5.)
Pat
0-1-25
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I love my Krink, but I wouldn't make it my first MG.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I love my 5.45 AK.

youtube vid
PS..It's a semi.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't buy a Fullauto AK just buy a SBR AK KRINK with a RED STAR trigger. The RED STAR trigger can be set down to 3 lbs then its really easy to bump fire from the shoulder and you save 13K !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top