Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2016 10:50:30 AM EDT
Where are folk engraving their form 1 203s at?  I like an inconspicuous spot, but not sure what would be legal.  Filing as an individual so it's going to just be my name, city, and state.  Pics will also be beneficial it you got them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Anywhere except the barrel. I had mine done inside on the top of the launcher, under the AR barrel. It is easy to see and read when you remove the AR handguard. I also keep a copy of the Form 1 in my wallet whenever I take it anywhere. GROG
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
So it just has to be viewable on the receiver, but if it attaches to something else then it's still ok because technically it's in a viewable part of the gun itself when off the gun?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I would think so. The law doesn't say conspicuous "and also unobstructed when attached to other firearms".

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
You legally can engrave the barrel, but it's kinda thin, and would freak me out... and, you would have an issue if you swapped barrels (but barrel engraving is 100% legal).
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#5]
According to ATF... who we all know to be reliable as heck...
"6.2.1 ...
All NFA firearms must be identified by a serial number and other specified markings. If an existing
firearm is being used in the making of the NFA weapon, and that firearm is serialized, the existing serial
number should be used (unless it duplicates a serial number already used by the maker on Form 1) and
entered in Block 4(g). If the weapon is of new manufacture, the applicant must assign a unique serial
number and enter it in Block 4(g). For example, a unique serial number could be composed of at least 4
digits preceded by the initials of the maker. NOTE: alpha characters, e.g., a name, will not be accepted
as a serial number. If a name is to be used, there must be at least one numeric character in addition to
the alpha characters.
The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model,
and identification of the maker
must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon.96 The
marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to
section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements.
View Quote

So, we were both kinda right, in that the serial number must go on the receiver only. So, if you were to be assigning it a new serial number, you would need to have it engraved on the receiver. If you are just making a 203 by adding a barrel to a firearm registered receiver, you can put your name, caliber, model on the barrel. I was pretty sure that serial numbers could not go on a barrel, especially one as easy to remove as the M203.
If one were to make a 203 from a blank, or 80% forging as we have discussed here in the past, the receiver would be the only place you could legally engrave it. (once again, according to those who believe a shoe string 14" long with two loops is a MG...) GROG
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#6]
He said it's just going to be his name, city, and state, so it's pretty clear he's doing a form 1 on a 203 that someone else made.  That info can legally go on the barrel, frame, or receiver.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I'm just doing a form 1 on a title 1 LMT receiver.

I was thinking that groove above the barrel, but if I can get away with it on the receiver section where an m4 barrel rests, I'd rather do that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#8]
You would definitely get away with it.

If there's any possibility you may sell it, engrave the barrel. Hurts resale value less.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Guess the next thought is 12 or 9 inch barrel. Leaning towards 12.

Like is there a reason why most photos of 203 on an m4 are the 12 over the 9?  Or is it just a govt inventory thing?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#10]
There is no advantage to the 12" over the 9" unless you're just going for the retro look. I believe the government still procures 12" barrels for the M16A4, but only because someone decided it looks better. I have both.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought here was a good place:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top