Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2010 10:57:03 PM EDT
well like the title says, i was looking into making Tannerite myself and found people making ANFO, ANNMAL, AP, TATP, ect ect.  does all that fall under the same category as tannerite and there fore legal? since  they are binary explosives and if made on site and used on site in a short amount of time with no storage or transportation just like tannerite.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 12:05:45 AM EDT
[#1]
gat for inof... I'm interested too.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Just a bad idea IMO
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Tannerite is an exploding target.

If you make exploding targets, or use explosives for farming, sure.

If you have explosive materials, and pipes laying around... "Pepare to be boarded..."

Explosives, when done legally, can be quite entertaining. When not done legally, they can be quite a few years of your life behind steel. Check ATFE guidelines for explosives licenses, and storage requirements if you are serious about getting into explosives. If you want to make back yard M80s, you are asking for trouble. My .02c. GROG
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Grog is correct. Do not make explosives if you don't have an explosives license. Even if you could make an HE compound, how were you planning on initiating it?
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen people make a few pounds of ANFO or ANNMAL then pack it around some tannerite and shoot it.  Making home made blasting  caps or a primary charge from a more sensitive compound that is either fuse or electrically ignited.  I'm not going to build a 500lb bomb but I saw a lot of vids online and was just wondering about the legal aspect behind it.  If your not storing the explosives or transporting them you don't need a license was an explanation I got, wondering if true.  The same reason tannerite is legal and not a regulated explosive.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#6]
From Wikipedia:"In the United States, ATF regulations allow the the two components to be legally purchased, since neither one is an explosive by itself. [3]  However, the mixture is an explosive once mixed, and cannot be transported without following strict regulations including insurance, packaging, and signage on the vehicle. Various regulations also govern the storage of mixed Tannerite."
Which has been from my understanding of it all along. As long as you havent mixed the components, youre fine. Once they've been mixed, they are treated the same as any other explosive. In other words, don't mix them till youre ready to use them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#7]
A lot depends on your state and local laws.  I love fireworks and would like to make them as a hobby.  Federal fireworks laws and regulations are obnoxious but not impossible to live with.  It turns out it is my state's laws that make the idea unworkable for me.  I considered moving to Tennessee for that reason alone, but other factors weighed in.
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A lot depends on your state and local laws.  I love fireworks and would like to make them as a hobby.  Federal fireworks laws and regulations are obnoxious but not impossible to live with.  It turns out it is my state's laws that make the idea unworkable for me.  I considered moving to Tennessee for that reason alone, but other factors weighed in.

Yep.  What he said!

Even though possessing Tannerite unmixed in Utah is legal, once mixed starts violating Utah State laws if the possessor is without the proper license(s) & permit(s).

Good luck and remember: Don't Do the Crime If You Can't Do the Time!

~Will

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#9]
i was thinking about this more, if i get an explosives license then i would be able to make anything i wanted so long as i'm not transporting it in mixed form as well as buy commercial grade blasting caps once i have the proper storage.   am i right in that thinking?
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, make, store, use, and keep records. GROG
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#11]
The BATFE regulations are easy to comply with  Its your state laws that will screw you in the end, always check the state blasting laws to make sure you can comply with those. Just because you can make it doesnt mean you can use it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#12]

I personally think it is a huge hassle.  I would spend my money on getting a 07 FFL and pay for an SOT and make silencers and full auto weapons than making explosives!

But, I am an EOD instructor and get to blow stuff up weekly - the novelty wore of YEARS ago - its just 'Work' now.

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got my type 60 license. I just found out I cannot buy explosives outside the state. Had I known this earlier on I would have purchased the manufacturing license.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#14]
the only thing i would like to buy are blasting caps, those wold need to be properly stored, i would make the explosives myself.  ANFO or other AN based stuff that's easy to make and safe
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

But, I am an EOD instructor and get to blow stuff up weekly - the novelty wore of YEARS ago - its just 'Work' now.

You're doing it wrong.

I'm an EOD instructor, too, and I still giggle like a little girl when I turn a car inside out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd love to take an explosives course in TX.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#17]
are there courses open to the public?
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You're doing it wrong.

I'm an EOD instructor, too, and I still giggle like a little girl when I turn a car inside out.

Hahaha.... Damn right!
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd love to take an explosives course in TX.

I am right with you. If you find out about some classes in TX let me know. I am up near Fort Worth but would travel for some good instruction.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Mike, get with your EMS county system coordinator, and take the courses available at EMRTC at New Mexico Tech. Response to suicide bombing incidents is a good one. Awesome courses, and they blow up car bombs. I have video with some cool class photos. Some of the cadre are ex-SF too, old school.
http://www.emrtc.nmt.edu/training/

I loved it. They had to drag me out with a bull dozer. ;) GROG
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#21]
what do those classes run?  i looked threw them but could only find one price for $1,350
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:15:55 AM EDT
[#22]
It was free for me. The county EMS paid for everything out of a Federal Grant. There might be a similar thing in your county. Ask the EMS guys. GROG
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It was free for me. The county EMS paid for everything out of a Federal Grant. There might be a similar thing in your county. Ask the EMS guys. GROG

What about non-govt types? Can we pay to play?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I know at least one of those classes is open to the general public if you pass a background check
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:24:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about non-govt types? Can we pay to play?

I know there were some fire dept people in my class. If youare involved in the EMS system, you can get in for free. Contact New Mexico Tech for further info on how to sign up for classes. I think there are other classes they offer to anyone. GROG
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're doing it wrong.

Thats a MAN CARD suspension & case of beer penalty for admitting to giggling like a gurl (Unless you are a female...).

PM sent.

`Will

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#27]
I had to use some blasting materials to assist me in some hole work last week. There was a bit of mud in one of the holes when the shot went off. Yup... Giggle away! Mud flying all over the tractor. Funny stuff. GROG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top