Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2007 10:12:51 AM EDT
Is there such a beast ?

Can someone explain to me  why a flashbang is a DD, I can't see how the USC definition of DD fits a flashbang
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I didnt know a flashbang was a DD.   Seems kinda ridiculous
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#2]
You are not professional enough. Try a ladyfinger wrapped in flashpaper. Lame law.

Link Posted: 2/5/2007 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You are not professional enough. Try a ladyfinger wrapped in flashpaper.

That would be a good answer in GD

def-tec and ALS disagree with you
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately it is the truth as far as the esteemed minds in DC see it. There really is no better answer than that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately it is the truth as far as the esteemed minds in DC see it. There really is no better answer than that.

I agree on DC
I was poking fun at the professional part having been certified on both :)

Link Posted: 2/5/2007 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Can someone explain to me  why a flashbang is a DD, I can't see how the USC definition of DD fits a flashbang

It is  classed as a DD because of the explosive charge that makes the flash go bang.

If you make one without the explosive charge, it is not a DD -- but it will neither flash nor bang.

I unserstand but to spit hairs it is not a missle nor a anti personal device
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is  classed as a DD because of the explosive charge that makes the flash go bang.

If you make one without the explosive charge, it is not a DD -- but it will neither flash nor bang.

You may attempt to split that hair, but BATFE and the U.S. Department of Justice will beg to differ with you.

Not me, I was just hoping for an expanded why, I know they are no no's and don't really have any use for one

Another one of those because DOJ says so rules
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You may attempt to split that hair, but BATFE and the U.S. Department of Justice will beg to differ with you.

I could have sworn that ATF agents testifed before Congress at the Waco hearings, that flashbangs were completly harmless.
Regardless, they are DDs under the law.
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Ok, but if they are classified as DD, then why do cops get to use them, I mean they are soo destructive.. Police are supposed to protect & serve , not be destructive..

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I could have sworn that ATF agents testifed before Congress at the Waco hearings, that flashbangs were completly harmless.
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, there is such a beast. There was a write-up in SWAT magazine within the past 2 -3 months. It was a CO2 simulator. I'm sorry I don't remember the name. I'll look for it when I get off work.

It was pretty pricey, but reusable with the exception of the hard rubber diaphragms. IIRC it was $60 for like 20 reloads. The unit itself was like $120.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#13]
ALS makes a trainer FB.  It is the same fuze as a regular FB, but with a very small amount of flash powder.  Does a small flash and sounds about like a 22 LR going off.  Each "reload" is about $25.

And for comparison's sake, 1/4 oz  is equivalent to 109 grains.  109 grains of BP is fairly serious, as is 109 grains of flash powder.  Take into account the priming charge, and you could probably run 90 grains of flash powder and not run afoul of the DD threshold of 1/4 oz....  But I'm no lawyer, and I sure as shit didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night....
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#14]
quote]I could have sworn that ATF agents testifed before Congress at the Waco hearings, that flashbangs were completly harmless.
IIRC, it was Chucky Schumer who was telling everyone that flashbangs were harmless, and the ATF guys were telling him they were not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top