Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2021 12:50:26 PM EDT
I've been following the data for almost 10 years and can't think back to when they went into this much detail on reporting. This is a literal gold mine for data nerds.

Found all of this on AmmoLand- LINK

Per this report they are claiming 512,315 NFA Forms processed in 2020. That is a 50% INCREASE from 2019 (342,860).

The coolest part of the data that I don't know if I have ever seen is the differentiation between individuals/ Trusts/ FFL/ GOV in regards to silencers registered.

Going off these numbers there are TEN TIMES the number of silencers in civilian hands vs. GOV/LE.

Also have never seen a breakdown in the number of pending applications before. This is really cool data.

Same with the differentiation of Form 1/ Form4 for SILENCERS ONLY. Up until now it was always an educated guess as to what % of F1/F4 silencers were. That guess was always in the 80-80% range.

Just doing some quick math-

In 2019 there were 170k Form 4's processed for all NFA Firearms (Machine Guns, SBRS, SBS, etc)
Add 50% to that to account for 2020 growth- that is 255k.
So with 236,220 SILENCER F4's processed in 2020 that means that silencers would account for ~ 92% of all F4's processed.

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#1]
neat
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you so much for posting this, man - just got your message.

Very interesting!  The consumer space continues to demand suppressed small arms.  I like this.

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Per this report they are claiming 512,315 NFA Forms processed in 2020.
View Quote

512,315 * $200 tax stamp = $102,463,000

After seeing that number there is no way Tax Stamps will ever go away even for suppressors.
Why give up all that extra cash.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

After seeing that number there is no way Tax Stamps will ever go away even for suppressors.
View Quote

This is a common argument. It doesn't really hold water though.

Less than half those forms are tax paid. Most are Form 2/3/5.

ATF's budget is $1,368.4 million- as in a billion dollars.

It's not about the money. It's about the power. $102 million is literally nothing in the General Treasury.

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

You think ATF keeps the fees generated by tax stamps?
Just like the IRS, the revenue goes to the US Treasury, ATF doesn't keep a dime.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
The others are right. Congress doesn't care about the money. Look at how much they waste in stupid legislation.

The more important question is how many voters does that represent?

So the "2,353,436 Weapons processed", what does that mean? NICS checks?

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Would like to see number of personnel for each year that do the actual form 1s and form 4s and efile.

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

One Tomahawk Cruise missile costs $202.3 million.

It's not about the money. It's about the power. $102 million is literally nothing in the General Treasury.

View Quote

you are way too high on the cost of a Tomahawk.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So the "2,353,436 Weapons processed", what does that mean? NICS checks?

View Quote

I am assuming that would be the number of Serialized forearms that were processed on all the forms they went through in 2020.

That’s kind of a fake number.  The same SN can change hands multiple times in the same year.

Silencer is made-F2
transferred to wholesaler-F3
Transferred from wholesaler to dealer A-F3
Transferred from dealer A to Dealer B (imagine an internet sale from Hansohn Bros to your local SOT)-F3
Then F4 to you.  

That’s 5 forms. All on the same SN.  And it would count 5 times towards that 2.5M number.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#11]

#metoo! Thanks to you, I've got a Vox on the way

@HansohnBrothers
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:19:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

#metoo! Thanks to you, I've got a Vox on the way

@HansohnBrothers
View Quote

Thank you for being a Vox shooter! Here is to hoping for a quick turn on your stamp!

Karl Edminster
Energetic Armament LLC
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Know I'm getting older when I look forward to the annual ikickhippies NFA stats post.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's a rounding error.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I wonder what this will look like next year.

We are only two months into 2021 and so far everyone seems slammed with suppressor purchases.  Even the ATF eForms site seems especially slow.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not arguing your point at all,  but a Tomahawk cruise missile is only around 1.5 million
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not arguing your point at all,  but a Tomahawk cruise missile is only around 1.5 million
View Quote

Shit.  You’re right.  Googled and didn’t read all the way through.

In 2016 they bought 149 of them. At a total cost of 202M.

But yeah. You get my point.

Time to go find another example that’s $100M.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:33:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Why such a disparity in processing times between a paper Form 1 and a paper Form 4?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:33:16 AM EDT
[#19]
We should be sending these stats to politicians. I guarantee they have no clue the numbers involved.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:10:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We should be sending these stats to politicians. I guarantee they have no clue the numbers involved.
View Quote

I'm not sure we want any political attention on these numbers. The ATF seems to have their processing times down to 5 or 6 months which is much better than the 12 to 15 from two years ago even with the higher volume. If feinstein or waters were made aware of these numbers, they would probably freak out and try to push more legislation for restrictions or bans.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#21]
That was my 1st year for NFA stuff.  So I'm doing my part too.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm not sure we want any political attention on these numbers. The ATF seems to have their processing times down to 5 or 6 months which is much better than the 12 to 15 from two years ago even with the higher volume. If feinstein or waters were made aware of these numbers, they would probably freak out and try to push more legislation for restrictions or bans.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good point  
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or defund the NFA branch most likely.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why such a disparity in processing times between a paper Form 1 and a paper Form 4?
View Quote
That is interesting. 3 months for a paper F1 vs 7 months for the F4. If anything, you'd think the F4 would be quicker because the item is already on the registry.

Could it be a different group that does F1s and they just aren't as overwhelmed?

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That is interesting. 3 months for a paper F1 vs 7 months for the F4. If anything, you'd think the F4 would be quicker because the item is already on the registry.

Could it be a different group that does F1s and they just aren't as overwhelmed?

View Quote

I would think the F1 would be quicker because it's NOT on the registry. It just means adding that firearm, while a Form 4 requires transferring from an existing entry on the registry to a new entry.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I would think the F1 would be quicker because it's NOT on the registry. It just means adding that firearm, while a Form 4 requires transferring from an existing entry on the registry to a new entry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd say dmk would be right.  An existing item is a known quantity on the registry and validated.  The only thing that "should" need to be done is make sure the person receiving the item is entered correctly and able to receive said item (background check).  If so, done.
A Form 1, is a new creation that needs entered, validated as well as the person being vetted.  I'd imagine the validation part could be the longest part.  Does said mfg exist, is the SN correct..etc.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'd say dmk would be right.  An existing item is a known quantity on the registry and validated.  The only thing that "should" need to be done is make sure the person receiving the item is entered correctly and able to receive said item (background check).  If so, done.
A Form 1, is a new creation that needs entered, validated as well as the person being vetted.  I'd imagine the validation part could be the longest part.  Does said mfg exist, is the SN correct..etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Form 1 firearm does not have a manufacturer or serial # to be vetted. Its a form filed by the MAKER.

A Form 1 firearm does not even exist until its actually made....and it shouldn't be made until the F! is approved and the applicant has the stamp in hand.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A Form 1 firearm does not have a manufacturer or serial # to be vetted. Its a form filed by the MAKER.

A Form 1 firearm does not even exist until its actually made....and it shouldn't be made until the F! is approved and the applicant has the stamp in hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're trying to be too cute.  The gun does exist.  You turn an existing rifle/pistol into an SBR.  The Rifle/Pistol DOES exist.  It was manufactured by a company.  It has a serial #.   If you think I'm wrong, then NO Form 1 would ever be rejected.  
The only Form 1 stuff that doesn't "exist" are home made suppressors.  They never existed unlike guns.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You're trying to be too cute.  The gun does exist.  You turn an existing rifle/pistol into an SBR.  The Rifle/Pistol DOES exist.  It was manufactured by a company.  It has a serial #.   If you think I'm wrong, then NO Form 1 would ever be rejected.  
The only Form 1 stuff that doesn't "exist" are home made suppressors.  They never existed unlike guns.
View Quote

It exists in the existential sense. But it does not "exist" in any sort of government database or registry as a Title I firearm.

There is literally a federal law prohibiting this.

It is not entered into any registry (like the NFA registry) until a Form 1 or Form 2 is filed & processed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It exists in the existential sense. But it does not "exist" in any sort of government database or registry as a Title II firearm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It exists in the existential sense. But it does not "exist" in any sort of government database or registry as a Title II firearm.
FIFY

There is literally a federal law prohibiting this.

It is not entered into any registry (like the NFA registry) until a Form 1 or Form 2 is filed & processed.
Some large manufacturers have it entered into a production database "thing" similar to (or maybe equal to) AFMER data.

If I recall correctly it typically exists on the manufacturer's database/server and ATF can login to it and check data (like for traces) without having to contact an employee of the manufacturer. It contains transfer details of which FFLs the manufactured firearms were sent to. This would be for large scale Title I manufacturers, under agreement with ATF. It was described to me in a conversation but I haven't actually seen it in action. The details may vary by manufacturer. Technically it isn't the government's database; they simply have access to it.

Would they need/want to trace a Title I firearm (or even verify its serialized existence) in order to approve an NFA form? I would think not. But it's just some random info.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

...The only Form 1 stuff that doesn't "exist" are home made suppressors....
View Quote

You have a lot of reading to do.
Start with "80% receivers or frames".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top