Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 10/5/2020 3:43:14 PM EDT
Contacted AAC directly about getting a new latch put on my 7 year old 762-SD (51t). Great customer service, had a FedEx prepaid label supplied, and they even provided a ticket number for the repair once they received it. That was a little over a month ago.

Bam....big news last week. Ok, I thought. PSA is not a company that I choose to do business with but they are liked well enough here to where I didn't feel that worried. AAC was bid on by JJE Capital Holdings, the same folks that own PSA. I know this just happened but....I can't see this going well for my suppressor that is in there possession.

I just called and got someone on the phone that told me that there was nobody there for firearm or suppressor repairs, that they were bankrupt, bought out, and all the factory workers / laborers have been furloughed. So what do I do now I ask. "Call back in a couple weeks....we can't do anything until we see what the new company chooses to do and starts bringing employees back." He sounded totally unsure if they would ever start repairs or honor prior products.  

Wow, eff me. Lovely timing. I should have just got on the wait list to have it converted by ECCO.

I'm sure the ATF doesn't give two shits either. We will see how this goes. I've got a tax stamp for a particular silencer serial number.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't imagine a company would buy a brand and then, as their first act as new owner, royally screw existing customers by not taking care of repairs.

Give it a few weeks.  Laweyers gotta do lawyer stuff.  It takes a little time to get everyone re-hired, etc., at least that's how it goes with normal companies.  With ATF, FFL, SOT, etc., it might take a bit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck, that sucks, and keep us posted.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d contact local ATF office. Explain the situation.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty sure when FFLs go out of business and have NFA items pending the ATF steps in to make sure the transaction is completed. Happened a couple times in the last few years with smaller dealers doing NFA transfers locally.

I cant imagine the ATF is just going to allow NFA items owned by non licensee's that were sent in for repairs to a licensed manufacturer who's going out of business or in this case, restructuring, to just vanish into the off the books , untaxed, black market. I dont think much of the ATF, but I also dont think their goal is too allow controlled, taxed, regulated items to disappear.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I think I would give the company a few weeks to figure out where things are before going that route.
Likely the OP was talking to one of the workers that will be furloughed thus really couldn't give two shits about the OP's parts.
Hard to imagine the first act by the new owners would be to get in trouble with the ATF by loosing a bunch of NFA regulated parts.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#6]
It’s most likely to be destroyed and a letter sent to the OP.

JJE bought the name.  Not the facility. Not the tools. Not the parts. Not the employees. Literally. The name and IP.  

But what do I know. You guys are probably right. Sunshine and rainbows.

OP- get in front of this ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Sub'd for later updates.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It’s most likely to be destroyed and a letter sent to the OP.

JJE bought the name.  Not the facility. Not the tools. Not the parts. Not the employees. Literally. The name and IP.  

But what do I know. You guys are probably right. Sunshine and rainbows.

OP- get in front of this ASAP.
View Quote

QFMFT.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I need to do the same with one of mine

Gonna convert it instead. Just sucks when you spend so much on mounts that ruin the can. I wish I could change that latch out myself.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
AAC/Remington lost one of my cans. My local shop sent it in for repair (without a RMA#!!) and AAC/Remington claims they can't find it anywhere. This has been going on for 2 years. While my local shop made it right on their end for their part in this, the can (a TiRant9) is gone and I can't track it down.

I feel for ya.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you sure they didn't buy the buildings, inventory, and equipment? I don't see the name being that great of a purchase.

Just wondering how you know the details as I haven't heard that they only bought the name, and I would think PSA/JJE would want the factory as they are heavily invested in making products and not just reselling
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’d send a PM to @PalmettoStateArmory and see if Josiah can figure out a plan.
View Quote

I’d go this route AND the ATF route at the same time

Josiah is the place to start on PSA’s end; he wasn’t the problem solver for me but got me in touch with a guy who had enough juice to solve said issue. That’s how I got a new Mini 4 for literally $50.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#16]
If the fine folks at PSA are willing to intercede on your behalf and will take responsibility for getting your can taken care of great, roll the dice.  My opinion is that you do not want to play around or even give it a couple weeks.  That’s how you convert your metal gun muffler +$200 tithe to the crown into a paper destruction letter.

Personally I would call the local ATF office and let them know that AAC seems to have lost track of your can and that you would very much like it back.  Pretty sure they won’t think the employee’s response is funny.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Same story with my Blastout, have RMA and contacted them for an update but no reply. Sucks that yours is a suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
  • AAC was housed in the Remington facility in Alabama, so probably no buildings.  
  • I doubt there was much inventory on hand, most parts were made by outside machine shops.  
  • Since those parts were made outside, there is hardly any machinery actually owned by AAC.  
  • All AAC staff are gone; the people that know the products and more importantly, know how to make the products.  
I imagine PSA got the name, IP and little else.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Why isn’t the PSA purchase on here?

You can see the inventories some companies like Century are buying.

https://gununiversity.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Remington-Arms-Sale-Agreement.pdf

ETA the buildings in Huntsville went to one of the companies in the purchase agreements, I forget which. I got to about page 1187 then my browser locked up.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are you sure they didn't buy the buildings, inventory, and equipment? I don't see the name being that great of a purchase.

Just wondering how you know the details as I haven't heard that they only bought the name, and I would think PSA/JJE would want the factory as they are heavily invested in making products and not just reselling
View Quote

Yes.  I am.

What experience do you have in the industry or purchasing foreclosed companies and/ or their assets?
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn guys. Not the responses I was hoping for.

A good customer of mine, who happens to be in Alabama is close friends and in a hunting club with an ATF agent there. May see if he can steer me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Damn guys. Not the responses I was hoping for.

A good customer of mine, who happens to be in Alabama is close friends and in a hunting club with an ATF agent there. May see if he can steer me in the right direction.
View Quote
Unfortunately in bankruptcy situations where assets are split across multiple buyers or debtors, the first thing you need to do is protect yourself.  Once JJE/PSA has completed acquisition and integrated the brand, I fully expect things to be business as usual/better than ever.  Until that time it is anybody’s guess what will happen with the customer NFA items AAC is currently in possession of. The new facilities owners (not PSA) almost certainly aren’t going to want/be able to maintain possession of them, and who knows how long it will take for JJE to finalize things on there end.  And the third rail here is what the employees will do, since they are expecting to be furloughed or fired.  

Call the ATF.  Get the can back into your possession.  Try again once the dust settles, or send off to a third party to get rid of AAC’s attachment system.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
JJE Capital, the parent company of PSA bought the intellectual property and names relating to AAC. We did not purchase any buildings or physical property. We would not be able to help in locating anything since we have no rights to the physical property.

Thank you,

Josiah
View Quote

Thanks for chiming in Josiah. That is what several of us thought, but it is nice to have confirmation.

Take Care
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think I would give the company a few weeks to figure out where things are before going that route.
View Quote

Look, the lone voice of an adult man.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Look, the lone voice of an adult man.
View Quote

Sure bud.

Tell us- which company exactly do you think will take care of the OP here?

PSA already chimed in saying that they have no access or rights to any physical property. So who is now responsible for this guy's can? Because it is  not "AAC".
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Well it's confirmed....nobody is responsible for my NFA item sitting in a building in Huntsville, AL.

I'm curious why a company would have only bought the intellectual property from AAC...a brand that has been falling short for the past couple years.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#29]
OP, I really hope you got the ATF involved.

Waiting will do nothing for you, and as others have stated, you'll likely get a letter that your can was destroyed if you wait longer. And good luck with any recourse in recouping anything cost wise from them - they're a bankrupt company.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well it's confirmed....nobody is responsible for my NFA item sitting in a building in Huntsville, AL.

I'm curious why a company would have only bought the intellectual property from AAC...a brand that has been falling short for the past couple years.
View Quote
Because everything else is a liability?

Riddle me this, Why buy all of what's holding a company down, when you can just buy the IP and Name and redo everything that was holding the company down? IP / Name is an intelligent way to completely redo a company over from scratch without all of its liabilities.

Here's what happens next for those not hip with bankruptcy sales: The IP and Name were sold. Next up the company's assets get liquidated by being sold or auctioned off. Anything not sold gets destroyed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Don’t panic.

The new owner has to get running.  They will assume inventory and sort it...give it a month.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#32]
ATF is probably more than well aware of the situation that Remington and the other subsidiaries are going through right now. If you called them I bet they would tell you to be patient with the process, as you've been told by the company and other posters here already.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Why isn’t the PSA purchase on here?
View Quote

PSA is owned by JJE, which is:
JJE  Capital  Holdings,  LLC  as  the  Successful  Bidder  with  respect  to  the  DPMS, H&R, Stormlake, AAC, and Parker brand
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
ATF is probably more than well aware of the situation that Remington and the other subsidiaries are going through right now. If you called them I bet they would tell you to be patient with the process, as you've been told by the company and other posters here already.
View Quote

There is nothing to be lost by calling everybody you can possibly call to get ahead of the situation, instead of waiting for a month and finding out you should have called a month before. So PSA has already said they can't help, call ATF and Roundhill and whoever else might have any chance of helping.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#35]
OP. I have to say I would strongly encourage you to get out ahead of this and make sure they find and return your property!

Remember when the guy who worked at DPMS before, during, and after the Remington buyout explained their corporate culture?

He said they came in and scrapped dumpsters full of parts just because they didn't want to take the time to package and inventory them!

This is exactly what I'm afraid they will do with your silencer!

I went through this same thing when Schrade Old Timer knives moved production to China.

I sent in a knife for warranty work and it just disappeared when it got to the now shuttered factory.

I later found out they had moved operations overseas and that was the end of my knife.

I really think they just took all warranty return items and threw them in the scrap pile! Since its a new company the old stuff isn't their problem!

Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Get it back. Send it to Ecco Machine for an SiCo Omega pattern adapter conversion. Done.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Rebuilding a name brand is easier then starting a new one from scratch.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#38]
OP, if you know the address, maybe take drive up there?
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Great....they have my TiRant 9 with (apparently unobtainium these days) AAC tri lug mount. Went in for baffle repair.

I’m kinda pissed but not as much as I would be if shooting was a feasible hobby these days....
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm just trying to grasp this.

You guys are saying it's (common) practice, in a situation like this, for an organization to destroy a persons property which is in their possession at the time?

Lost during the transition or restructuring, unfortunate, but I can see that happening.  But to just start cutting up NFA items?

Link Posted: 10/6/2020 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You guys are saying it's (common) practice, in a situation like this, for an organization to destroy a persons property which is in their possession at the time?

Lost during the transition or restructuring, unfortunate, but I can see that happening.  But to just start cutting up NFA items?

View Quote
Yes.  It's the smart move.  OP's can is a liability for whoever has it, and they no longer have any ability to fix it.  Sucks for OP but that's a buyout.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

The company that bought Remington (with all associated durable goods/ property except Marlin and the ammo division I believe) is an investment group that mostly owns property from a brief perusal of their site. So when they take over, they will probably want to clear out stuff that isn't part of their business. So, expect CDNN to have a bunch of Stormlake barrels or whatever. Maybe whatever AAC inventory is on hand will be tossed to a liquidator.

Now, obviously the warranty silencers should not be part of that, but who is in charge of separating out what is what rather than just doing a mass "whatever is on the books" transfer to a third party?

It's firearms, so I doubt they'll be destroyed, but what if it's cheaper to crunch up the remaining AAC inventory rather than deal with the paperwork of F3's? Do they go through everything?

So yeah, get ATF involved ASAP and maybe an agent gives a call to someone that is actually in charge of something and they arrange to return stuff beforehand.

Otherwise, who knows? A lot (most?) of these employees are losing/ have lost their jobs, why would they care?
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
JJE Capital, the parent company of PSA bought the intellectual property and names relating to AAC. We did not purchase any buildings or physical property. We would not be able to help in locating anything since we have no rights to the physical property.

Thank you,

Josiah
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you,

Josiah

Would y’all happen to have the name of an attorney or representative on the other side of the table who could be contacted?  There’s personal property tied up which is apparently nobody’s problem.

Quoted:
Don’t panic.

The new owner has to get running.  They will assume inventory and sort it...give it a month.

New owner just said they bought name and IP only, not inventory.  Nothing is getting “up and running”.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#44]
I would contact ATF immediately.  Anything involving missing NFA needs to be reported ASAP, if only to keep you in the legal clear.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Go to the media and tell them a bunch of evil silencers are unaccounted for!  
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I would contact ATF immediately.  Anything involving missing NFA needs to be reported ASAP, if only to keep you in the legal clear.
View Quote

This.

If I had an NFA item out there in the ether I would at least want to be damn sure the man knows about it in case something stupid happens and I have to explain it after the fact.

Not unheard of for shit to walk off when companies blow up.

OP based on everything I have seen with situations like this across multiple industries your can is probably gone. About all you can do now is cover your ass and hope. Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm sure the ATF doesn't give two shits either. We will see how this goes. I've got a tax stamp for a particular silencer serial number.
View Quote

There is no scenario in the world where ATF is going to let dozens if not hundreds of silencers disappear into the ether unaccounted for. Typically the expedite situations like these.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Common? No, almost unheard of. Everything down to paper clips has value in a bankruptcy. Did they destroy all the MACs when Mac went out of business? Group Industry? no. RPB? SWD? No to all. It gets sold at auction by whoever owns. Maybe it will be CDNN! Look at all the Remington/DPMS that keeps showing up there.

Anyway, destroying customer property is just a class-action lawsuit in the making. So much cheaper to just send it back as is.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There is no scenario in the world where ATF is going to let dozens if not hundreds of silencers disappear into the ether unaccounted for. Typically the expedite situations like these.
View Quote

Hopefully you are correct.

Seems the time to expedite would have been before everyone that knew where things are left the building.

Who is on the hook for the items? If the company no longer exists whose ass is on the line? Honest question. I'm sure there is a reasonable answer I would like to know what it is.

Link Posted: 10/6/2020 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I need to do the same with one of mine

Gonna convert it instead. Just sucks when you spend so much on mounts that ruin the can. I wish I could change that latch out myself.
View Quote

I bought a pair of (non-NFA) AAC Blast Outs to do just that. The latch on the 51T blast-out is the same as the latch on their 51T cans.

When I run out of latches, my cans will be converted to something else.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top