Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2017 3:15:47 PM EDT
I recently purchased a silencerco hybrid and I am looking to load as cheaply as possible. When loading subsonics 9mm, 40, 45, 300blk is it okay to load copper plated, high tek coated bullets, powder coated, lubed cast lead?  I don't want to trash my can, but want to shoot cheap as I can reload.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]
No gas checks on the cast and no cast through an original barreled Glook.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I cast, powder coated, and shot 100 rds of 44mag through my hybrid with no visible lead in the barrel or silencer.  I used the thicker powderbuythepound powders and the loads were subsonic(i.e. Low pressure).  I'm unsure if I will shoot mass quantities of them for fear of leading, but they worked great.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Estimate the number of rounds you will fire through the suppressor.  Multiply that times the few cents per bullet saved.  Ask yourself, is the savings significant?  I bought 3,000 CMJ 9 mm bullets for about $100 more than lead bullets would have cost.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#4]
FMJ and powder coated are best. Plated and cast are frowned upon.

Cast will leave lead residue along with carbon. If your suppressor can be taken apart to clean this isn't as big of a deal.

Plated can flake and cause issues as minor as leaving copper flakes in the can to as extreme as causing instability and baffle/end cap strikes.

That being said a quality plated bullet can function perfectly fine (I have used them in the past), just be aware their use does come with some risk.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Hybrid that I shoot powder and polymer coated bullets through. Even though it can't be dissasembled, I just remove both end caps and soak the suppressor in the dip occasionally. Haven't had any issues or any significant lead build up by doing this. Since the Hybrid is made of titanium and steel, the dip wont harm the can (don't use it on aluminum).

The Dip

Just be careful with the used dip, and dispose of it in a responsible manner.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The cost savings is significant when looking at heavy subsonic 300 blackout.   Jacketed are about twice as expensive.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No gas checks on the cast and no cast through an original barreled Glook.
View Quote
Gas checks are a possible issue but crimp on style checks like most available nowadays make it a non issue. I shoot a lot of checked 30 caliber bullets.

The original "Glook" (sorry, I thought that was funny) barrels will shoot cast fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top