Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2017 11:49:27 PM EDT
I am contemplating replacing the Saker K with the surefire mini 2. Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I cant get the rifle to fire with and without the saker K installed unless I make an adjustment to the gas block every time. I was thinking since the surefire has the back pressure relief port on the back or whatever they call it that might help to get the rifle to fire suppressed and unsuppressed. Also the surefire mini is going to be at least .5" shorter overall which would be nice.

The issue is I dont want or need both cans so id have to sell the saker k to fund the surefire and also wait another 6 months or whatever its taking now to get the new suppressor. When I bought the saker k it was a toss up between it and the surefire but the store didnt have the surefire in stock and 41p was closing in hot. Not that it matters now because I plan on purchasing a suppressed 22 very soon so the gov is going to get my photo and prints anyway.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 1:09:15 AM EDT
[#1]
You can get it to run with the can on or off and the gb in the same position. Put the can on and put one round in the mag at a time, close the gb and start opening it until you get the bolt to lock back. Go one click past that and you should be good to go with the can on or off. I got my over gassed Larue short barrel 5.56 to run this way, although I don't shoot without the can because it is too much cuncusioun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can get it to run with the can on or off and the gb in the same position. Put the can on and put one round in the mag at a time, close the gb and start opening it until you get the bolt to lock back. Go one click past that and you should be good to go with the can on or off. I got my over gassed Larue short barrel 5.56 to run this way, although I don't shoot without the can because it is too much cuncusioun.
View Quote
The whole gun is a frankin special built with a JP scs H2 and a JP LMOS. While I did use all quality parts I did not stick with the standard weights on the bcg or the buffer and I believe that is what is causing my issue. The barrel also started out as a 12.5" and was shortened to 11.7" but I am guessing thats not making to much of a difference.

Anyway I have tried that method just as you described and the bolt cycles a hair to fast and ends up locking on the magazine and not the catch and I have to turn it down one notch which is not much because the SLR sen 7 has 16 settings.

I know this question has been beaten to death but I kind of want the surefire because its slightly shorter and I want the rifle to cycle both with and without a can but if the can isnt going to do what I want ill just stick with what I have. I mean silencer co has a great proven warranty and the product is great.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I own 2 SOCOM minis (first gen) and a Saker K.  I would not sell the Saker K to buy a SOCOM mini, selling cans you will lose your shirt on it plus the $200 tax stamp is for nothing; you'll need to spend another $200.  Selling cans is generally not a great idea, and new Saker ASRs are pretty cheap already (and ASR is generally a much preferred mount vs. the Trifecta), I doubt you'd get more than $300 for a used Saker K.

If your rifle doesn't run suppresssed and I suppressed, something is wrong with your rifle and you need to address that
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I own 2 SOCOM minis (first gen) and a Saker K.  I would not sell the Saker K to buy a SOCOM mini, selling cans you will lose your shirt on it plus the $200 tax stamp is for nothing; you'll need to spend another $200.  Selling cans is generally not a great idea, and new Saker ASRs are pretty cheap already (and ASR is generally a much preferred mount vs. the Trifecta), I doubt you'd get more than $300 for a used Saker K.

If your rifle doesn't run suppresssed and I suppressed, something is wrong with your rifle and you need to address that
View Quote
I'll give you $301 and one stamp

But ya, I can't imagine a slight change in decrease in backpressure will fix your issue.
<-- socom mini owner

ETA: sounds like the adj gas block was set up wrong.
I just spent an hour last weekend tweaking two adjustable gas carbines
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't understand why you have a lightweight carrier and a heavy buffer. Your rifle is set up incorrectly, and the solution is not a different silencer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:56:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't understand why you have a lightweight carrier and a heavy buffer. Your rifle is set up incorrectly, and the solution is not a different silencer.
View Quote
I started with a standard carbine buffer and because of this issue I swapped it out for a H2 buffer. It seems like there are two courts on this issue, one side believes if you remove weight from the bcg it needs to be added to the buffer and the other side believes if you take weight from the bcg than take it from the buffer as well since you'll be using an adjustable bcg.

The JP LMOS is only 2 ounces lighter so its not a real drastic change.

I had the same issues with the carbine standard buffer as well.

I dont see how the gas block could be set up wrong. That whole process is pretty simple. Close the gas block off open it one notch and fire it suppressed one bullet in the mag at a time clicking one click out until the bolt locks back. I did just that and then turned the gas block one more turn. Its 4 clicks from fully closed out of 16 total clicks. That means right with the suppressor attached it is only allowing 25% of the gas to flow through the tube. If I take the suppressor off the bolt, it apparently moves so fast that it goes right past the bolt catch but is stopped by the magazine. I guess anything is possible but the process is pretty easy or so it seems. Plus there are a few companies that make gas block specifically for rilfes that want to run suppressed and unsuppressed like the Giovanna? or the Noveske switch block.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I started with a standard carbine buffer and because of this issue I swapped it out for a H2 buffer. It seems like there are two courts on this issue, one side believes if you remove weight from the bcg it needs to be added to the buffer and the other side believes if you take weight from the bcg than take it from the buffer as well since you'll be using an adjustable bcg.

The JP LMOS is only 2 ounces lighter so its not a real drastic change.

I had the same issues with the carbine standard buffer as well.

I dont see how the gas block could be set up wrong. That whole process is pretty simple. Close the gas block off open it one notch and fire it suppressed one bullet in the mag at a time clicking one click out until the bolt locks back. I did just that and then turned the gas block one more turn. Its 4 clicks from fully closed out of 16 total clicks. That means right with the suppressor attached it is only allowing 25% of the gas to flow through the tube. If I take the suppressor off the bolt, it apparently moves so fast that it goes right past the bolt catch but is stopped by the magazine. I guess anything is possible but the process is pretty easy or so it seems. Plus there are a few companies that make gas block specifically for rilfes that want to run suppressed and unsuppressed like the Giovanna? or the Noveske switch block.
View Quote
It's fine with the can on,  but the BCG is out running the bolt catch with the can off?  

Should be the other way around.  Must be the JP LMOS.  

I don't think the light weight gamer BCG's are really ideal for suppressed shooting, especially if switching back and forth often.   They're more finicky.  The bolt has less momentum to send a round home in a fouled chamber and will be more susceptible to mag drag, etc.  i.e., if you want to run the light weight carrier setup you'll probably have to fine tune everything from springs, mags, ammo and stick within certain working parameters (like specific ammo).

Or try a f/a BCG.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Remove/change the cheap things first.
F/a BCG
Then carbine spring
Adjust gas block

Try it
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think it's outrunning the bolt catch with the suppressor off. I think it's undergassed and not getting back far enough for long enough.

I do think the practice of getting the gun to *just barely* function with the suppressor is one that needs to die a fast, painful death. Leave some margin of error. I've never used an adjustable gas block, and I've never had a single failure between suppressed/unsuppressed shooting.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:54:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It seems like there are two courts on this issue, one side believes if you remove weight from the bcg it needs to be added to the buffer and the other side believes if you take weight from the bcg than take it from the buffer as well since you'll be using an adjustable bcg.
View Quote
One court has no idea how this works.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:53:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

One court has no idea how this works.
View Quote
Well the theory is that if you remove weight from the bcg you need to add weight to the buffer so that bolt bounce doesnt occur. But if you look at what the 3 gunners are doing they remove weight from the buffer and the bcg and just turn down the gas. To me the 3 gunners seem to have it correct. However when I was trying to solve my issue with my suppressor and unsuppressed rifle I was told by a reputable company that if I was removing weight from the BCG I should probably add weight to the buffer if I was having issues suppressed. It doesnt matter the gun is running well now. I am still going to tinker with it though just because thats what I do.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Your gas block is setup wrong.

7.5" barrel, JP LMOS, JP SCS (standard spring), Syrac Gen II adjustable gas block. Functions 100% with or without can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top