Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2017 8:04:13 PM EDT
So guys which one are you taking for a nice all around can that would be thread on for a 300 winmag and be used on a 6.5G and 6.5C.

The goal is precision long range and occasional hunting.

Any pros or cons to either? I held both in my hand today and the TBAC is certainly lighter to the tune of 2.5oz's on paper but you really can feel it in your hand. Seems like even more (yes the omega had the thread on adapter on the can when I held it so it was apples to apples)

What say yee?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You can replace the SiCo DT adapters with Ti adapters and loose weight. Same with Ti end caps. And they cost less than SiCo parts.

My Omega with Ti 1/2" 28 DT adapter and 5.56 end cap weighs 11.4oz. Bigger holes on the 5/8" 24 DT adapter and 308 end cap mean even less weight.

The vesatility and Ti parts makes the Onega first choice, imo.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been debating these two for a while also and have decided on the ultra 7. Weight and accuracy were top priorities for me.  TBAC is well respected in the precision shooting arena so that's a big plus.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:26:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I vote Ultra 7, I plan on getting an Ultra 7 or 9 before too long to use on a precision rifle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:59:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting. Funny thing is I actually bought right before I made this thread.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting. Funny thing is I actually bought right before I made this thread.
View Quote
So the point of the thread was? To validate your choice?

Which did you pick?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
In particular, phrasing the question to imply he was actually looking for assistance, and receiving it from the board members who believed they were helping -is annoying.

But, it's common; in teaching carry permit classes, I get this kind of thing fairly often, in and out of the classroom, "What do you think of getting a ____ as a carry gun?"  
I would sometimes tell them why I think it's a particularly undesirable choice, and then, later that day at the range, would see them with that exact model.
Now I always answer such questions with "Do you have one", before I continue.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Which did you pick?
View Quote
Because I was really close to buying both. Bought the tbac. Might still get the omega.

I have a gen one tbac 556 can for one of my percision ARs and have put up some impressive groups with it so figured if these only improve on the dinosaur I currently have then they should be gtg.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can replace the SiCo DT adapters with Ti adapters and loose weight. Same with Ti end caps. And they cost less than SiCo parts. The vesatility and Ti parts makes the Onega first choice, imo.
View Quote
I'm interested in buying these for my incoming Omega.  Please give info of where to purchase.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Because I was really close to buying both. Bought the tbac. Might still get the omega.

I have a gen one tbac 556 can for one of my percision ARs and have put up some impressive groups with it so figured if these only improve on the dinosaur I have then they should be gtg.
View Quote
I bought both.  Actually I have (2) Omegas and (2) TBAC Ultras, a 7 and a 9.

The Omega is pretty light with the titanium end caps and DT adapters. Not really noticeably heavier than the Ultra 7.  The ASR is noticeably heavier.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I bought both.  Actually I have (2) Omegas and (2) TBAC Ultras, a 7 and a 9.

The Omega is pretty light with the titanium end caps and DT adapters. Not really noticeably heavier than the Ultra 7.  The ASR is noticeably heavier.
View Quote
Nice man. Does your omega look more gray than black? The Omegas my local store had looked blueish gray. Is that normal? Like all my stuff black period.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm interested in buying these for my incoming Omega.  Please give info of where to purchase.
View Quote
Idahoskunk,

I'm on a iphone right now so no link, but go to the "Omega Modularness" thread and post asking Big Waylon for the contact info for his machinist.

The guy does beautiful work, and the weight savings are substantial. It sure doesn't hurt that the cost is lower than SiCo's either.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Titanium end (meaning -front end) caps are much lighter than the Sico steel flat front cap.
The Sico fixed thread mounts are also steel, so the Titanium version is 40% lighter, as well as a much better design than Sico's.

Note: Edited to delete incorrect information.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#15]
The only front end cap I found on Sico's website is steel.  And that's what they sent me.  Maybe I'm confused or overlooked the aluminum one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The only front end cap I found on Sico's website is steel.  And that's what they sent me.  Maybe I'm confused or overlooked the aluminum one.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81803/IMG-5042-190326.jpg
View Quote
And... of course, you're correct.

The flat .30 steel cap weighs 1.36 oz.  The finned aluminum cap weighs 1.44 oz.  Don't have a flat Ti front to weigh -but am now going to order one.
I knew the finned front cap was aluminium, and assumed (and you know what they say about the word assume) the flat cap was also al.
Funny thing is, I've always had the (steel) flat cap on the can, having left the finned cap in the box from the day I bought it.  
Never liked the extra length and ray gun look, and couldn't perceive any meaningful recoil advantage from earlier use of another's finned Omega - but that's just me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Idahoskunk,

I'm on a iphone right now so no link, but go to the "Omega Modularness" thread and post asking Big Waylon for the contact info for his machinist.

The guy does beautiful work, and the weight savings are substantial. It sure doesn't hurt that the cost is lower than SiCo's either.
View Quote
Awesome info man! Weight isn't super yuge to me but feeling them both in my hands you really could tell a difference. If weight was the same, that makes the decision even harder for me. We can see these stats on paper all day long but there's intangible info you get on forums here like this, which is why I made the post.

Now you're making me want the omega

Is Sico's "black" more of a dark grey?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And... of course, you're correct.

The flat .30 steel cap weighs 1.44 oz.  The finned aluminum cap weighs 1.44 oz.  Don't have a flat Ti front to weigh -but am now going to order one.
I knew the finned front cap was aluminium, and assumed (and you know what they say about the word assume) it was also al.
Funny thing is, I've always had the (steel) flat cap on the can, having left the finned cap in the box from the day I bought it.  
Never liked the extra length and ray gun look,and couldn't perceive any recoil advantage from earlier use of another's finned Omega - but that's just me.
View Quote
Yeah man same here. I'm not a fan of that can brake. If/when I get one it's coming off the day I get it and flat cap going on. Hell Ti if it's lighter.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes they are grey, at least my Hybrid and Omega are. Really I wish they would just make them black, but whatever. The caps Howard makes are nice, I just ordered a 2nd set today.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:07:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Awesome info man! Weight isn't super yuge to me but feeling them both in my hands you really could tell a difference. If weight was the same, that makes the decision even harder for me. We can see these stats on paper all day long but there's intangible info you get on forums here like this, which is why I made the post.

Now you're making me want the omega

View Quote
Mine is still in the box at the dealer but it's a lighter shade of black.  A darker shade of gray?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#21]
My Omega was black as I recall, but has turned a dark shade of gray. I'll post a photo of it installed on a black SBR when I can later today.

The great thing about the flat cap is you loose an inch of length. You loose another inch going DT. OAL of Omega with flat cap and DT module is 6". Adds about 5.4" to rifle length as measured from the crown.

SiCo's spec'd weight is, iirc, 14.1oz. My Omega with Ti flat cap and DT module weighs 11.4oz - AND no ASR MD weight to factor in.

ETA: the brake really does work, I can tell the difference on my 6.8s, especially wrt muzzle rise. Don't notice a difference on 5.56.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Better late than never, I guess. He is the photo of one of my Omegas, as promised.

JPK
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Looks good and thanks for the clarification.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top