Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2016 2:03:02 PM EDT
I would like a lightweight, suppressible, stainless 30 caliber hunting rifle.  In reading up on possible solutions to this, I find people discussing threading .30 caliber rifles to 1/2-28 (because of the required shoulder).  Some people say it leaves the barrel too thin, other people have done it and it seems to be working.

Is there an ARF consensus on this?  

My best off the shelf (stainless) option right now appears to be a Tikka T3 CTR.  I like everything about it except the price and I'm concerned it will be front heavy.  To reach the 7.5 lb weight with a medium heavy barrel, they must have a slim action and a very light stock, hence my front heavy concerns.  It would be really nice to pick a stainless sporter weight gun and cut it to 20" and thread it.  But, this brings me to the threading and concerns about a very thin wall when you thread .308 1/2-28.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:19:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I have threaded a stock tikka t3x lite 30.06 with 1/2 x 28 for a customer.  Everything has been fine.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I cut my light contoured Rem 700 chambered in .308 from 22" down to 18".     The barrel chop gave me enough barrel diameter for 1/2x28 threads with plenty of shoulder.     I emailed Austin at Griffin Armament about this project and he said it won't be a problem as long as I use a lightweight suppressor such as their Sportsman model.     Other possibilities were the SiCo Harvester and now the Gemtech Tracker.   The Titanium offerings from Thunder Beast will work as well, although they will be considerably more expensive.

2+ years later and everything is still doing very well.    Completely happy with the decision to suppress my lightweight .308
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#4]
You should consider chopping it back to 17" - 18" to get a little more shoulder. Morgan at Class III Machining can thread it for you 1/2x28, possibly 5/8x24 depending on your profile, 9/16 if your can has that option, or make a semi-permanent adapter that steps up to 5/8x24.

I told Morgan to cut my .308 Browning BAR back as far as needed to get enough shoulder for 5/8 threads running a Harvester. He ended up at 17.5" and I couldn't be happier with the result. Makes for a nice compact setup with a full length can for hunting.

If you have a Thunderbeast can you have to call and ask permission to purchase a .30 bore 1/2x28 muzzle brake. I was granted permission for a .243 but it was pretty clear they didn't condone 1/2x28 threads for .30 caliber rifles. Of course you can always have a standard .223 brake bored out by a competent gun machinist (mentioned above).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top