Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2016 9:22:30 AM EDT
Does the Gemtech Bolt Carrier really do its thing when you're shooting suppressed?

Really contemplating getting a Surefire RC2 556 for the mount, repeat-ability for poi, and reduced back pressure... rather than futzing around with a bolt carrier group that'll take care of one of my 2-3 issues I have with the M4-2000.

What say the hive.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The SBC is the truth.
I don't believe in snake oil, but it works. And works well.
And a much cheaper option than an entirely new can, tax stamp and year wait.
If it doesn't do it for you then you can always clean it up and get almost all your money back. Worst case you lose $30-50.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Running the Gemtech SBC in my MK18.....it works and works really well.  I bought one to test it, plan on buying one for each gun that doesn't have an adjustable gas block now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Ah shit, I mean, this is a good thing after all.  I'll check it out, interested to see the results.

I have hands on with an adjustable gas block but that lives on just one rifle and to be fair it's not really my idea of a good time futzing around back and forth with it between ammo types or pulling the can on and off.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ah shit, I mean, this is a good thing after all.  I'll check it out, interested to see the results.

I have hands on with an adjustable gas block but that lives on just one rifle and to be fair it's not really my idea of a good time futzing around back and forth with it between ammo types or pulling the can on and off.
View Quote

I use adjustable gas blocks, but if I had to do it again I would use the SBC on everything (except 300BLK.)

In the end, to avoid the pita of adjusting the blocks back and forth, I end up setting them for minimal but sufficient gas for reliable cycling and lock back unsuppressed. So the rifles are all over gassed suppressed, though not as bad as they would be without the adjustable blocks.

I never shoot my SBR's unsuppressed, and I am going to reset the blocks for suppressor only use. The carbine uppers get shot unsuppressed on occasion, and I'll leave them alone.

Too bad you lost you reason to buy a new suppressor, but do you really need a valid reason?

JPK
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Too bad you lost you reason to buy a new suppressor, but do you really need a valid reason?

JPK
View Quote

Smart man..  I'll dabble with the carrier before I go back into nfa land.  Slightly cheaper and the wait is much better I hear.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I know the M42K is an older can, but that is one good suppressor.

I have one that is beat to shit...been used, abused, and run across 5 different SBRs.  It still does everything it should do, has minimal shift, and locks up tight now that the mounts are carboned up.

Only issue I ever had was with a barrel that wasn't threaded concentric to the bore.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top