Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 9:00:25 PM EDT
I am working with my dealer who can hook me up with any of the following .45 pistol cans:

SiCo Octane HD
Rugged Obsidian
Dead Air ghost
Griffin Revolution

Obviously of all these, the Obsidian has the best suppression numbers -- but I'm curious, which would be easiest to clean and most durable.  I wonder about the modular cans, as I see the threads as another potential failure point.

This will be used on .45 and 9mm and will be joining a Mask and Sandman -- both in jail right now.  That said, I'm not married to Dead Air, just the way things have played out thus far.

If you have this choice, which way would you go?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Revolution, Octanes and a Ti-RantM.  Of the ones you mention I would go with the Obsidian.  it will work on all your pistols, it's modular, and the baffles are stainless so you can use almost any cleaning method.  The Ghost uses some aluminum baffles so no dip or sonic cleaning.  The Reolution requires locktite and does not convert from long to short as easily and the Octane has less features at a similar price point.  Which ever you choose make sure it's in stock.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the Revolution, Octanes and a Ti-RantM.  Of the ones you mention I would go with the Obsidian.  it will work on all your pistols, it's modular, and the baffles are stainless so you can use almost any cleaning method.  The Ghost uses some aluminum baffles so no dip or sonic cleaning.  The Reolution requires locktite and does not convert from long to short as easily and the Octane has less features at a similar price point.  Which ever you choose make sure it's in stock.
View Quote

This is what I have one in jail with my Mask and Sandman S
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I own Octane 45's, and also have. Sandman-S and Mask pending form 4. With the choices you gave, or any other for that matter, I'd do the Obsidian hands down. The Obsidian has the db reduction, modularity, build materials and price that make it a clear standout pistol suppressor in the current market.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Ghost M.  Everybody complaining about the aluminum end baffles is wrong.  Swinging an all steel can around is no fun.  The wipe endcap is a cool feature as well.  Plus, ultrasonic/dip cleaning centerfire pistol cans is overrated.  Just get the big chunks off.  Baffles that are spotless are baffles that are loud.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I went through all the options and have a Ghost on form 4. I like the smaller size in short config. If it was going to just be a pistol suppressor then I might have gone Obsidian but the Ghost has an awesome tone and low blowback. Just like the sandman cans.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Obsidian, without question. I own two Ospreys 9 and 45, one 9mm Octane. My Obsidian is in jail.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Ghost or Obsidian. Whichever you can find in stock. I've shot both but not at the same time but thought the Ghost was a little quieter (although on different hosts). It is lighter, shorter, has a titanium main tube, and wipe option. I've talked to 4 different people that have all shot them both and 3/4 suggested the Ghost. I went with the Ghost but if I find an Obsidian I'll get that also since I'm looking for another pistol can.

ETA: I'm curious how many people have shot both.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I got the Ghost also, mainly due to being in stock.  You can't really go wrong with it or the Obsidian based everything I have seen and heard.

You should just get both to be sure.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ghost or Obsidian. Whichever you can find in stock. I've shot both but not at the same time but thought the Ghost was a little quieter (although on different hosts). It is lighter, shorter, has a titanium main tube, and wipe option. I've talked to 4 different people that have all shot them both and 3/4 suggested the Ghost. I went with the Ghost but if I find an Obsidian I'll get that also since I'm looking for another pistol can.

ETA: I'm curious how many people have shot both.
View Quote

From what I've seen/heard from each of them, I like the Ghost a little more. Maybe $50-80 more than the Obsidian. But any more than that, and for my money I would get the Obsidian.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:20:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I went with the Obsidian for the internal 3-lug mount. If you don't need/want a 3-lug mount, ghost is shorter in K config. If you have access to all 4 in stock.......pick two.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:51:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone know what dealers have ghost or obsidians in stock?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:55:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I went with the Obsidian for the internal 3-lug mount. If you don't need/want a 3-lug mount, ghost is shorter in K config. If you have access to all 4 in stock.......pick two.
View Quote

Talked with Dead Air today and their 3-Lug is going to be internal as well, the shorter k-config of the ghost has me going ghost
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:21:30 AM EDT
[#13]
My choice would be the Obsidian

I will be picking one up sometime next year unless something better comes out
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the Obsidian waiting on a form 3.  After seeing the Ghost next to the Obsidian, I will probably pick one of those up as well.  I like the Ghost better, just not sure I like it for $100-200 more.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Get both in true arfcom fashion, that is what I did.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Talked with Dead Air today and their 3-Lug is going to be internal as well, the shorter k-config of the ghost has me going ghost
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Humph! Well when I asked, they (Brent)  told me it was going to be external, but that was 12+ weeks ago. He did comments that

"we do know that OAL is important so we will be doing our best to keep it as short as possible"
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Humph! Well when I asked, they (Brent)  told me it was going to be external, but that was 12+ weeks ago. He did comments that

"we do know that OAL is important so we will be doing our best to keep it as short as possible"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I called their CS number to ask direct as it was a determining factor for me as I want to keep things as short as possible.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I called their CS number to ask direct as it was a determining factor for me as I want to keep things as short as possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I asked Mike directly and he said it was internal.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Obsidian for the fact that you can also use octane Pistons/mounts with it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I asked about them as well and they said they haven't made them yet. So until we see what they make we can only hope for internal.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:38:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd buy an Obsidian. I like the Ghost M but Dead Air product support is almost nonexistent.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:28:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd probably put the Ghost just ahead of the Obsidian, but not by much.  Mainly for the wipe and hopefully more rearward weight distribution.  They both seem awesome though, can't really go wrong.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:01:27 AM EDT
[#23]
It was a toss up for me between Obsidian and the Ghost, but my dollars voted for the Ghost.  The k size and wipes were the most appealing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Obsidian is nearly non-existent right now.  Is your local dealer able to get one from the distributor OR is he just able to get onto the backorder list like the rest of us?  If you're worried about getting your Form 4 in before July 15th, you may want to check before ordering.

I'm not trying to be smart, but I've been looking for Obsidians for 6 weeks and can't find one anywhere!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not sure what how a mount-side module is harder to convert compared to an end module design, since both require removal of the module, then you either either swap over the mount or end cap.  GreenO has said that the Loctite is insurance against irt coming loose, but they apparently have had one in the shop that has been abused without application of Loctite, so it can work w/o it, but granted, it is in the user policy.

Something to think about if your HG has LH muzzle threads: when I tried snugging my Revolution onto my HK by gripping the tube, & it would always loosen from the RH tube-side threads of the mount.  However, the Revolution's thread mount sits outside the tube just enough that I can get a grip on it to tighten it onto the bbl.  The Obsidian thread mount tucks inside the can, so you can only grip the tube, which the mount threads into RH direction.  Clemsonfan posted a video that showed him tightening the thread module on the Obsidian with a specialized tool they use in their production assembly, & that would probably work to tighten it on the can enough that it would remain secure when gripping the tube & tightening it onto a LH threaded bbl., but they don't sell that item.  I appreciate that the Ghost mount extends out enough so that it can be gripped to tighten it down on LH threaded bbls.  It's an issue that seems (to me) to get overlooked.

I've researched cleaning Al in a sonic tub v. tumbler, & the information is mixed as to the using the former method, with some saying that short duration periods are okay, while the latter approach can cause the sharp edges to get worn down, though I suppose walnut medium could possibly that.  The high frequency sonic cleaners used in auto engine cleaning apps would be ideal, but those are commercial grade items & expensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top