Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2016 11:19:37 AM EDT
I have an opportunity to pick a Huntertown Arms Kestrel AK for $275. I understand there are some limitations to suppressing short AKs, but does anyone have any experience with this can? I've heard missed things, but was hopeful my for some first-hand thoughts before I buy. I have a couple other HA cans and haven't had problems; I mainly use them as knock-around suppressors when I take my friends out as I'm not too worried about abusing them. Thoughts? Advice?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have an opportunity to pick a Huntertown Arms Kestrel AK for $275. I understand there are some limitations to suppressing short AKs, but does anyone have any experience with this can? I've heard missed things, but was hopeful my for some first-hand thoughts before I buy. I have a couple other HA cans and haven't had problems; I mainly use them as knock-around suppressors when I take my friends out as I'm not too worried about abusing them. Thoughts? Advice?
View Quote

I'd walk away personally.

Sure, $275 is relatively short money, but with the stamp price and the wait, it's still a heavy investment.

The chances of you ending up with a destroyed silencer are high.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Short answer is no.

They are loud. To make it reasonably quiet, it needs to be re-cored. Adding that cost to the initial purchase price, you could start out with a better can.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#3]
For those interested, I opted against the Kestrel AK. I don't have the hate for the company like some (like I said, I've had good experiences), but the notion of recoring a new suppressor at more than the cost of the can is a no go. I ended up getting another pistol can, however.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm using an Omega on a Yugo AK folder.  Out of four AKs, I found only one that could be perfectly centered, using a carefully fitted 14x1LH~5/8-24RH adapter.  
It's still quite loud, not ear safe, but a huge improvement over unsuppressed.  Snug foam ear plugs seem adequate for moderate outdoor shooting.
But, flip up the grenade sight to cut off the gas exhaust, and it gets nearly as quiet as a Blackout.  Manually operated, of course. This is all with standard 7.62x39 ammo.
Am going to try loading some subsonic ammo, just for a comparison with 300BLK.
I have a range rod dedicated to checking this arrangement before, during, and after shooting.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:27:52 AM EDT
[#5]
The AK design makes it a very poor candidate for a suppressor host.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top