Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2016 3:31:44 PM EDT
I did a search and came up with no results. Just wondering, if a do a build in either FDE or OD green, can a suppressor be painted/cerakoted to match or will it just burn off? Will it hold too much heat being painted?  As you may tell, I'm new to this.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think you could cerakote it
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I did a search and came up with no results. Just wondering, if a do a build in either FDE or OD green, can a suppressor be painted/cerakoted to match or will it just burn off? Will it hold too much heat being painted?  As you may tell, I'm new to this.
View Quote

I've painted them with Brownells Gun Kote.
Heat the metal, spray them twice and bake the finish on.
It's held up for hundreds of rounds, so far.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally I would cerakote. I have a 5.56 can I made on a form 1. After about 400 rounds the duracoat started to burn off. I like to shoot fast.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#5]
There's no way to phrase this without coming off as an ass but how do you think manufacturers coat cans?

I bought C series cerakote from Columbia coatings and a $4 preval sprayer from Home Depot for my F1 can
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's no way to phrase this without coming off as SSN ass but how do you think manufacturers coat cans?

I bought C series cerakote from Columbia coatings and a $4 preval sprayer from Home Depot for my F1 can
View Quote

I have no idea what they use for a finish. Being a military gun collector (old stuff), I'm used to parkerized and oxide type finishes.
Also, without any experience using suppressors I wasn't sure if they eventually burn off their factory finishes and end up looking like a rusty tail pipe.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There's no way to phrase this without coming off as an ass but how do you think manufacturers coat cans?

View Quote

I just googled "Columbia Coatings.
Great prices and no HazMat Charges.
My next purchase will be from them.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Credit goes to BigWaylon, he pointed me there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

I looked at this site as well, I see the cerakote under firearm finishes but it doesn't say  "C series". Am I looking at the same stuff as you guys?
It lists two types, air dry and oven cure. Which one is better and more durable?
WTH is a "preval" sprayer?

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I l
ooked at this site as well, I see the cerakote under firearm finishes but it doesn't say  "C series". Am I looking at the same stuff as you guys?
It lists two types, air dry and oven cure. Which one is better and more durable?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

I l
ooked at this site as well, I see the cerakote under firearm finishes but it doesn't say  "C series". Am I looking at the same stuff as you guys?

"C", I believe is just the cerakote finish.
Oven cure would be the best choice.
I just use my home's oven. When the wife isn't home, of course.
As for the sprayer, I just use my airbrush.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#12]
H series is oven cure
C series is air cure

C series is for silencer use and machine gun barrels as it has a higher temperature rating.
C series is not available in as many colors, it does not have a hardening agent either. It's super easy to deal with though, just shake it up, throw it in a spray gun and away you go.

I use a $25 HVLP spray gun from Amazon and a medium sized air compressor. It has works great for me. I use an old electric smoker for the H series paint (holds right at 250 degrees).
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I used VHT with great success. Only oven cured it once and just shot the hell out of it to fully cure.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Great info, thanks everyone for the posts.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#15]
You can use Krylon dude. May change with heat but will look good nonetheless.

I wouldn't over-think this.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top