Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2015 5:05:36 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy a .22 suppressor and had it down to the Warlock or the Element 2. Since AAC started their move, no Element2 at my dealer so I looked at the Spectre2 and the Warlock. I know a lot of people don't like aluminum on a .22 can, but I see others who say its just a little extra cleaning.

Obviously theres a price difference between the 2, but also a large weight gap,  so I want to make the correct choice. It'll be for handgun and rifle (mostly handgun), seeing maybe 2k rounds a year. Is the Spectre w/stainless guts worth the price/weight difference?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking to buy a .22 suppressor and had it down to the Warlock or the Element 2. Since AAC started their move, no Element2 at my dealer so I looked at the Spectre2 and the Warlock. I know a lot of people don't like aluminum on a .22 can, but I see others who say its just a little extra cleaning.

Obviously theres a price difference between the 2, but also a large weight gap,  so I want to make the correct choice. It'll be for handgun and rifle (mostly handgun), seeing maybe 2k rounds a year. Is the Spectre w/stainless guts worth the price/weight difference?
View Quote

It's not 'a little extra' cleaning it's a different kind of cleaning.  You severely limit your cleaning options when you go aluminum.  The Warlock is light, but it is longer than others in the same class.  Make sure you do the 'silicone oil' treatment on your baffles before you fire it to reduce your cleaning time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's your first .22 suppressor, go with the Spectre II over the Warlock II. The weight penalty is not that noticeable and it affords you so many more cleaning options down the road.

I like Al rimfire cans and I think a lightweight rimfire can should be in everyone's stable, but for a first can, go with a durable SS can.

You also get more host calibers with the Spectre II and the Spectre II is quieter than the Warlock II.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's your first .22 suppressor, go with the Spectre II over the Warlock II. The weight penalty is not that noticeable and it affords you so many more cleaning options down the road.

I like Al rimfire cans and I think a lightweight rimfire can should be in everyone's stable, but for a first can, go with a durable SS can.

You also get more host calibers with the Spectre II and the Spectre II is quieter than the Warlock II.

View Quote

Quoted for the truth!

Get a durable, all steel can for your first .22 suppressor.    Then, start filling niches by adding something Aluminum or Titanium to reduce weight.    Aluminum cans are nice, but their cleaning limitations has drawbacks that must be considered.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#4]
For someones first rimfire can, I think going stainless steel is your best bet. Not only does it allow you to use the dip, but it gives you multiple calibers like .22 mag and 5.7 also. The Warlock is a great second can. Rimfire cans are the funnest IMO and you will likely get more than one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I can finally do this....

I got both the Spectre II and the Warlock II
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:19:38 AM EDT
[#6]
The Liberty Regulator is pretty nice as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Speaking from absolute personal and real experience, get the Spectre II and do it NOW.  The NFA waiting game has to be started right away.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Weight is not even a consideration to me when it comes to rimfire cans.
There are no 1lb rimfire cans.
Rimfire hosts all use fixed barrels.
The difference between 6oz and 8oz on the end of a rifle or handgun is either unnoticed or has no little difference that it truly does not matter.
I feel the same about length. While both weight and length are important on centerfire silencers neither length nor weight factor into rimfire for me. They factor in about as much as color, which doesn't even make the list.

Sound
Sound
Sound
Materials
Ease of breakdown
Cost (All high end rimfire is in the $400-$600 range, so cost is negligible)

Don't mess around. I wouldn't take an aluminum can if someone gave me one (and didn't pay for the stamp ).

Buy quality, an extra $50-$100 spent now is a wise investment.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Specter II for the first. These .22 cans are so small anyways. I can't imagine a situation where a few ounces would make a difference in this category.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#10]
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Surefire Ryder 22-A (at a very good price) which is 3 oz.  Can one use Slip 2000 Carbon cutter on the aluminum baffles?

If not, what works?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Non-issue.

I have had a Warlock for over 10 years. Thousands of rounds, and it was not take apart. Still worked fine. I finally jailbroke it and put the baffles in a tumbler and they are as good as new.

Had Spectre since it came out too. It was originally nicknamed Warlock-DA, then they held a naming contest and Spectre it was. I am still surprised the Warlock is still sold. But it is light, and for small guns that is a good choice. Buy either with confidence.

Obligatory of the first Spectre, before it was call Spectre.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Surefire Ryder 22-A (at a very good price) which is 3 oz.  Can one use Slip 2000 Carbon cutter on the aluminum baffles?

If not, what works?
View Quote

Soda blasting.  That is what works.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Non-issue.

I have had a Warlock for over 10 years. Thousands of rounds, and it was not take apart. Still worked fine. I finally jailbroke it and put the baffles in a tumbler and they are as good as new.

Had Spectre since it came out too. It was originally nicknamed Warlock-DA, then they held a naming contest and Spectre it was. I am still surprised the Warlock is still sold. But it is light, and for small guns that is a good choice. Buy either with confidence.

<a href="http://s839.photobucket.com/user/Umbrarian/media/Guns/SWR-WarlockDA.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/Guns/SWR-WarlockDA.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Non-issue.

<a href="http://s839.photobucket.com/user/Umbrarian/media/Guns/SWR-WarlockDA.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/Guns/SWR-WarlockDA.jpg</a>

Good post, thank you for that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I like my two stainless cans much better than the aluminum. I don't really notice the weight
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#15]
The Warlock can is very light and worth it to me, but I wouldn't choose it as my first/only 22 can.  The weight difference is very noticeable to me.  It's less than half the weight of the Spectre II (3oz - 6.8oz) and both are right at 6".  I can really tell the difference on a pistol especially.

I usually recommend the Spectre II for a 22 can as I think it is one of the best overall cans available for the money.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#16]
The weight difference is very noticeable when you have the Warlock II and Spectre II actually in your hands.  

My wife is tiny.  The weight savings is a good thing for her.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The weight difference is very noticeable when you have the Warlock II and Spectre II actually in your hands.  

View Quote

Also depends on host gun. Use a steel Mark II, or Mosquito, a few extra oz does not matter. Use a P22 or 22/45 Lite with short BBL the extra weight is obvious and makes gun point heavy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Also depends on host gun. Use a steel Mark II, or Mosquito, a few extra oz does not matter. Use a P22 or 22/45 Lite with short BBL the extra weight is obvious and makes gun point heavy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the 22/45 Lite will be my Warlock II host
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is what mine is on. Looks line an integral as tube is same diameter as BBL. I carry it in a LondonBridge flap holster with spare mags, toss it in car, ATV, pack whatever. Goes where ever I go.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That is what mine is on. Looks line an integral as tube is same diameter as BBL. I carry it in a LondonBridge flap holster with spare mags, toss it in car, ATV, pack whatever. Goes where ever I go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you using a red dot?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Warlock II for $125.

http://tarheelstatefirearms.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=24_59
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Are you using a red dot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you using a red dot?

I do not, but I have an identical 22/45 for wife and have a Burris FF3 on it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#23]
My first 22 can was a gm22 and I love it.  Yeah it's a bitch to clean but the weight savings is bug for me.  

Quoted:
Warlock II for $125.

http://tarheelstatefirearms.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=24_59
View Quote

Yeah I just bought this as my second 22 can.  Maybe one day I'll own a Spectre II.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Jesus christ.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#25]
look at the surefire ryder s. its lighter than the spectreII (which I have) and a little shorter while still being magnum rated. and its sexy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Jesus christ.
View All Quotes

Sounds great but it's showing $235 for me.  I'd definitely pick one up for 125.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The sale is over.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I have aluminum and SS .22 cans and my preference is SS on high round count .22s like my 4.5" sbr and then aluminum on pistols which get lower round count and the 50%ish weight reduction far outweighs any cleaning arguments. On my bolt .22s and 10/22 shot only off bipod I have no preference.

I agree with previous posts about getting a SS first, like the spectre and then getting aluminum after that.

I personally have no issue cleaning aluminum. It gets a brush, a few seconds with a pick and that's it. Treated with fire clean and a lot of build up just falls out. But will be nice when I just put the spectre baffles in sonic cleaner and then snap back together.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top