Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2015 12:48:09 PM EDT
Hi yall,

I'm sure this has been asked many times before but I just can't seem to find my answer. How does the mini preform? Both on a 14.5" barrel and a 10.5" barrel. How's the flash reduction with the mini at night on short barrels? Also how's the over all tone and sound reduction on 10.5" barrels specifically?

Ryan
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Mini, two SB's, and a 762 SOCOM.  I've seen flash with the mini on a 10.3 in daylight, so at night depending on what you are shooting you will see flash I'm sure.  On a 10.3, the Mini "calms down" a 10.3 quite a bit.  Makes it easy to shoot with just ear plugs in.  Haven't shot it yet on one of my 14.5's.

Size comparison (762 SOCOM on left, SB's in the middle, Mini on the right)

Mini on a 10.3" Mk18 clone
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! That's just the kind of info I was hoping to get. Anyone else with first hand experience on the mini, please chime in!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got one for my KAC CQB 11.5". It's not hearing safe but does make shooting more enjoyable. I have to admit I was disappointed when I first got it but it was also my first rifle can. If I had to do it over again, I would get the full size RC instead. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Since my dealer is cruelly preventing me from taking my Mini home until the stamp arrives, I can only address indoor shooting, though I have turned down the lights to answer this very question.

10.3 MK18

Flash is really ammo-dependent.  Some old PMC X-Tac was REALLY flashy.  855 was less so.  Neither 64gr GDSP nor my 75gr loads (24 grains RE15) produced noticeable flash from the shooter's perspective.  

Its not quiet, but it lowers the tone and significantly reduces concussion.  As the previous poster said, its perfectly comfortable with just plugs, which it wasn't before.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Those of you with minis, if you could go back and do it all over again; would you still get the minis?

For those of your running RC's, are you happy with the performance? I'm really struggling on the decision of a mini or RC. It'd be run on my block2 and my mk18.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Given the sound performance of the RC (it's loud) and the size of the SF flash hiders (they are long), the SOCOM mini is probably the last can I'd consider if looking for a mini.

The Specwar K for example, is actually quieter than the full size SOCOM RC, the Mini 4 just a touch louder than the SF full size.  Both are considerably cheaper as well (normal prices).

SF already makes loud cans, and if you think about how much of the mini is just housing your muzzle device, there is actually very little space for baffles in an already loud design.

Just my 2 cents, and I own and like an SF SOCOM RC.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#7]
If your already invested into surefire I would go with the fullsize soccom, people say there loud but who cares its 556.  You should be more worried about weight, poi shift and blowback, to me 556 is more about tone than loudness, If your not invested into surefire products look at mini 4, most underrated 556 can on the market, have one on my mk18 and couldn't be happier with it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a video of a SF Mini on a 10" SCAR 16 SBR:  https://vimeo.com/138039264

I was going for the short...so I gave up a bunch of dB to get short.  The SF Mini is much shorter than the Saker K(middle) as shown below.  Saker 556 is on the right.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those of you with minis, if you could go back and do it all over again; would you still get the minis?

For those of your running RC's, are you happy with the performance? I'm really struggling on the decision of a mini or RC. It'd be run on my block2 and my mk18.
View Quote

Yes, what i would change is that I wouldn't have bought the two fullsize -212's, but rather, bought ALL mini's!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#10]
LOL, socom mini@ 5.0" and 14.5oz vs Saker [email protected]" and 14.7oz, yeah that seven tenths of an inch is totally worth it
What your really doing is comparing an attenuator to an actual suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I see the mini as better suited for a 14.5 mini recce style set up, RC better suited for 10.3-11.5.  As far as Surefire cans being loud compared to other cans, that's a myth, all minis are "loud."
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:If your not invested into surefire products look at mini 4, most underrated 556 can on the market, have one on my mk18 and couldn't be happier with it.
View Quote

The worst advice ever, AAC customer service & mounts blows donkey dong and their cans are not known for being great flash suppresors, big pass on anything AAC.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks yall for all the advice and pics so far!

What about the Saker K or the specwar K cans? They seem about the same size as the RC, but how are their mounting systems compared to the surefire?

How do the two SiCo cans stack up to the surefire RC as far as rock solid mounting, repeatable POI shift, durability of the cans  and sound reduction/tone. Also, one thing I've never considered till now is which one would have the worst gas blowback?

Pics are always welcome so come on

Ryan
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Having this debate right now for my second SOCOM can.  I have a SOCOM556-RC, bounces between my 16" Recce and my 12.5" SBR, lives on the 12.5" at home for HD.  Want a second one, can't decide if I want a mini to live on the 12.5" or another RC.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Having this debate right now for my second SOCOM can.  I have a SOCOM556-RC, bounces between my 16" Recce and my 12.5" SBR, lives on the 12.5" at home for HD.  Want a second one, can't decide if I want a mini to live on the 12.5" or another RC.
View Quote

Get an RC2 next.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Get an RC2 next.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get an RC2 next.  

Doesn't seem like major upgrades for us stuck with semi autos, plus a few hundred more from what I've read.  People are having sales on the original line now, I'm fine with first gen.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I went fullsize on 10.3bbl and mini on 14.5
I've been happy with all my surefires.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Here is a video of a SF Mini on a 10" SCAR 16 SBR:  https://vimeo.com/138039264

I was going for the short...so I gave up a bunch of dB to get short.  The SF Mini is much shorter than the Saker K(middle) as shown below.  Saker 556 is on the right.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-EGQ8ntYqjrw/VdpjbbYsVsI/AAAAAAAAoyo/8u2cG47jaJo/s800-Ic42/IMG_2882_DPP.JPG
View Quote

I think that picture right there might have sealed the deal for me on buying a Surefire over the SiCo for a mini can.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The worst advice ever, AAC customer service & mounts blows donkey dong and their cans are not known for being great flash suppresors, big pass on anything AAC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:If your not invested into surefire products look at mini 4, most underrated 556 can on the market, have one on my mk18 and couldn't be happier with it.

Wow don't really think that's the worst advice ever, sounds like you have had a horrible experience with AAC products, I know they've gone downhill since they got bought out, but there cans are still some of the most durable and best performing compared to newer products
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top