Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2015 10:24:33 PM EDT
Bought a Huntertown Guardian 22 can back end of March and she went pending 4/3. Fast forward to today and I get a call from the dealer stating the stamp is in. Told them I would be by later to pick up.

Went to the dealer and was informed their Class 3 license expired at the beginning of August  and they couldn't do any transfers until they have the license renewed which they claim is in the works.

What happens if they never get their license renewed? Am I in a black hole, do I have to wait for another dealer to transfer it?

Craig
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds fishy. They sold you a can after their license expired from the sounds of things.

As far as I know, the suppressor now belongs to you and they must let you take it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:01:57 PM EDT
[#2]
SOT's ONLY expire on June 30 every year.
ALL of them.

Are they still selling guns ?   That would let you know if their actual FFL was expired.

Have you done an EZ check to verify their FFL ?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I'd be taking a police officer to do a standby, and get my property immediately.

Immediately.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, they said it expired start of August. I corrected the original post.

Craig
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:03:25 AM EDT
[#5]
there is some really crazy stuff in the dealer world. it might be out of their control. it sounds like they may have forgotten to pay the SOT on time and now are waiting on the atf to send them a new copy. ATF is not always the quickest and they lose stuff frequently...
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 1:58:02 AM EDT
[#6]
No HTA jokes yet?

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 6:56:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sorry, they said it expired start of August. I corrected the original post.

Craig
View Quote
All Class 3 (SOT) expire on June 30, If they're saying theirs expired the first of August, they have to be talking about their FFL license as those do expire on the first of a particular month.

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, I'd be taking a police officer to do a standby, and get my property immediately.

Immediately.
View Quote

Civil issue, police won't get involved, nor have the authority to compel the dealer to release the suppressor, at least not without a Writ of Assistance from the court. Same reason they won't get yer TV from yer ex, or yer car from yer dead beat buddy who stopped making payments on it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Bought a Huntertown Guardian 22 can back end of March and she went pending 4/3. Fast forward to today and I get a call from the dealer stating the stamp is in. Told them I would be by later to pick up.

Went to the dealer and was informed their Class 3 license expired at the beginning of August  and they couldn't do any transfers until they have the license renewed which they claim is in the works.

What happens if they never get their license renewed? Am I in a black hole, do I have to wait for another dealer to transfer it?

Craig
View Quote

SOTs expire June 30.  Why would they not pay the SOT or not renew their FFL?  Something smells...

But, since the form 4 is approved, they can transfer to you without an SOT.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No HTA jokes yet?

View Quote

Don't kick the man when he's down.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No HTA jokes yet?

Hey now, nothing wrong with HTA, just not pricey as others and still works great for 22lr
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

SOTs expire June 30.  Why would they not pay the SOT or not renew their FFL?  Something smells...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Craig

I may have misheard the date it expired.

I called the national NFA office and they said without the SOT they are unable to transfer the can even with the stamp approved, however the lady didn't give me a lot of confidence.

I have contacted the local ATF office and awaiting their response if they can or can't xfer.

Thanks,
Craig
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Once the stamp is approved the person listed on the form is the only one authorized to be in possession of it. The atf approving the stamp was the transfer. They have no right to hold your property.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Once the stamp is approved the person listed on the form is the only one authorized to be in possession of it. The atf approving the stamp was the transfer. They have no right to hold your property.
View Quote

while this is squarely a bureaucratic issue, I tend to agree with the individual above.

there's nothing left to transfer.

nothing left to sign
nothing left to do for the gun shop at all, except hand you the suppressor.

have you paid in full for it?
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Their SOT status has nothing to do with disposition of the silencer.

The Form is approved. Even if they chose not to renew NFA branch would allow in process transfers to complete.

Call NFA branch and explain your position.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Their SOT status has nothing to do with disposition of the silencer.

The Form is approved. Even if they chose not to renew NFA branch would allow in process transfers to complete.

Call NFA branch and explain your position.
View Quote

^^ would know.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#18]
As IKH said, their SOT status has no bearing whatsoever on them being able to form 4 a suppressor to you.  Even if they had never been one in the first place, it would be approved and transferable to you.  All they need to do is fill out the 4473.  

All the SOT does is allow them to receive NFA items tax free.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I spoke to the local ATF guy in my area and he already knew of the issue with the dealer in question. He said I had to wait until the dealer has the license. I will report back when I have the can

thanks all

Craig
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Ah, they let their FFL expire.  Only FFLs can fill out the 4473, that's why he's stuck.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ah, they let their FFL expire.  Only FFLs can fill out the 4473, that's why he's stuck.
View Quote

Sad to hear that. If they really knew what they were doing they would have at the very least gotten an extension letter. but then again they carry HTA soooooooooooo..
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
but then again they carry HTA soooooooooooo..
View Quote

BAZINGA!
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought the 4473 wasn't required for a F4 trust

ETA: Quick Google search shows I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No HTA jokes yet?

View Quote

Nice! I was thinking the same thing as I was reading along. Then they started!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought there was another thread that showed that after the Form 4 cleared the suppressor could be shipped to another FFL and the other FFL could do the 4473. That context was that the SOT was a vajillion miles away across a large state, would that same rule apply here?

OP - Please post back and let us know how this pans out. Also bring your new can to the range so that your local homies may ogle it. :D
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Nope. You may have misunderstood the other thread. F3 has to be before the F4.

SOT can ship the can directly to customer, if no NICS check required, but they still have to do a 4473 by mail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought there was another thread that showed that after the Form 4 cleared the suppressor could be shipped to another FFL and the other FFL could do the 4473. That context was that the SOT was a vajillion miles away across a large state, would that same rule apply here?

OP - Please post back and let us know how this pans out. Also bring your new can to the range so that your local homies may ogle it. :D

Nope. You may have misunderstood the other thread. F3 has to be before the F4.

SOT can ship the can directly to customer, if no NICS check required, but they still have to do a 4473 by mail.

Exactly.  If the form 4 is approved, the item can only be transferred on a form 4 regardless of SOT status.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Sorry for delay, the dealers licence came in on 8/29 and I picked up same day. No apology when I was in there, just here ya go. No more money spent with them going forward.

On the bright side, so far I am happy with the HTA Guardian 22 and my Ruger 22/45 Lite is happy also.

Craig
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top