Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2015 10:23:10 AM EDT
So, I'm one of the guys who's supressor to mount lock up had no noticeable wobble. Woo Hoo.mafter my first range trip with the can and about 90rounds of subsonic 300blk down the pipe i took the suppressor off the mount and cleaned a little crud from the threads and teeth of the mount, put the can back on and set it next to my bed for my HD gun. Whell the last two ramge trips I've tried getting the can off to show people the before and after effect of supressors. No dice. I've tried it hot with welding gloves, cold, with someone helping and giving it a decent wack with a hammer handle to see if it would budge. Nothing. I can depress the release ring on the 7.62sd all the way, or what looks and feels all the way, nothing it won't budge. On the plus side the rocket blackout flashider hasn't moved either. I emailed aac two days ago with no love. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you hit it with a mallet?  My Saker gets stuck every now and then and one good blow from anything really and it comes off.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you hit it with a mallet?  My Saker gets stuck every now and then and one good blow from anything really and it comes off.
View Quote

No, just a hammer handle. I'll go give it a smack right now.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No joy. It's on there.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Go shoot a mag through it to get it real hot.  put on some gloves or something/silicone pot holder etc so you can grab the thing quickly.  Push the latch to release it and twist hard.  Should come off.

Don't squeeze for more than a second or two as not to burn yourself though.  You could also probably just heat it up close to the latch, but shooting works also.

if that doesn't work you could always spray some penetrating spray in/around where it mounts up and let it soak for a while.  Try again and repeat.  It should come off.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Go shoot a mag through it to get it real hot.  put on some gloves or something/silicone pot holder etc so you can grab the thing quickly.  Push the latch to release it and twist hard.  Should come off.

Don't squeeze for more than a second or two as not to burn yourself though.  You could also probably just heat it up close to the latch, but shooting works also.

if that doesn't work you could always spray some penetrating spray in/around where it mounts up and let it soak for a while.  Try again and repeat.  It should come off.

View Quote

I'll hit it with some PB blaster and let it sit a while. I tired it after three mags day before yesterday with a pair of welding gloves, nothing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Make extra sure the latch is depressed all the way. You may have to smack it a bit if junk is under it.  Go and buy a strap wrench from northern/harbor freight. Get the one that allows you to cinch the strap down.  See if the strap wrench will give you the torque needed.

Otherwise, i got nothing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#7]
One more thing, if the PB blaster doesn't work, try pressing the latch all the way down, and smack the can closest to the latch with a rubber mallet a few times.  Not too hard, just enought to maybe rock it loose.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Got it off with some vice grips. I put another scratch on the finish but I don't care. What I do care about is now when the can is ratcheted all the way down I can rock the can back off the tooth. It feels like the teeth are only meshing halfway on the very last notch. Is that the wobble people talk about? Cus now I have it. Aac got back to me and also recommended some penetrating oil. I emailed me back just now letting them know the can and mount will be heading back to them for warranty work. Lame.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't worry about the scratches, they refinish it for free every time you send it in.  It will come back looking brand new.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Its likely rotational play and not actually rocking up and down.

I have one mount that doesn't lock all the way up either, it seems like it wobbles up and down but it is just rotational play.

Never had problem with accuracy or strikes with that mount.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#11]
This is why I like my 18 tooth 762SD.  This isn't a problem. Ever!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have one mount that doesn't lock all the way up either, it seems like it wobbles up and down but it is just rotational play.

View Quote

Rotational play is normal.  when it starts backing off teeth is when you need to worry.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Rotational play is normal.  when it starts backing off teeth is when you need to worry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cant read,

Sounds like you need a new latch.

They'll hook you up no problem. They refinished mine as well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#14]
How hard did you crank it down in the first place?
Mine locks up well on a particular "tooth", but has that little bit of wobble everyone talks about. If I crank it further, I can just barely get it to latch on the next tooth, but the latch doesn't quite engage fully (doesn't settle all the way down into the valley of the next tooth). No more wobble when I do that, but I wouldn't dare shoot it like that for fear of not being about to get it back off.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

This is why I like my 18 tooth 762SD.  This isn't a problem. Ever!
View Quote

Lol. I can't tell if you are serious or not.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Taking the spanner wrench to the trifecta mount really helps get it off for me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 EDT
[#17]
I got this back From AAC when I told them about it rocking back off the last tooth on the mount.

"We can take a look at it, however this seems normal. All my 51T silencers go on and then I rock them back to where it naturally sits in the valley of the teeth."

Call me crazy but I thought a supressor should lock up tight to the mount to avoid a big poi shift and accuracy problems when/if the can moves during firing. So far there responses have been prompt, but it's definitely not giving me a good feeling. Am I wrong in my thinking?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 1:12:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:23:13 AM EDT
[#19]
this can sucks, I hear so many problems with this mount system
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#20]
OP what you're describing with the "wobble" seems completely normal. I have a feeling if you send your can and mount in they will end up shipping it back and telling you there is nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
this can sucks, I hear so many problems with this mount system
View Quote

I'm starting to feel the same way. Im thinking I may just take a hit and sell it. Then use the cash for a form1 can and have money left over for reloading components. If this is normal, I don't like it. And it's just odd that it locked up tight before and now this is going on. Would "the fix" help in this situation?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a SDN-6. And have three different rifles I use it on. Only one of the have the "wobble". But I can really tighten it down and get it to the next tooth but it's a bitch to remove. And it has the same exact accuracy as it does when it "wobbles". If it bothers you this bad do this

Or some guys have even had luck with using a silicone o-ring to tighten things up. You have an excellent can and no way in hell I would go through the hassle of selling it and taking a huge hit on it. There is nothing wrong with it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a SDN-6. And have three different rifles I use it on. Only one of the have the "wobble". But I can really tighten it down and get it to the next tooth but it's a bitch to remove. And it has the same exact accuracy as it does when it "wobbles". If it bothers you this bad do this

Or some guys have even had luck with using a silicone o-ring to tighten things up. You have an excellent can and no way in hell I would go through the hassle of selling it and taking a huge hit on it. There is nothing wrong with it.
View Quote

Thanks for the link. I have a couple days off in a row and I'll give the mount the old polish treatment and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Whell after polishing the mating surface on the mount I successfully made the lock up looser. Now I know what people say when it wobbles. Anyway I think I'll chuck it up for sale later. I should have gotten a direct thread can.

Edit. Found a mount on the EE for cheap. Just gunna run it till it explodes
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Whell after polishing the mating surface on the mount I successfully made the lock up looser. Now I know what people say when it wobbles. Anyway I think I'll chuck it up for sale later. I should have gotten a direct thread can.

View Quote

It's going to explode.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

i was always hesitant to do this, but I've done this to all of my mounts now.  It really takes no time at all to do and seems to have tightened up my groups on the mounts that had a lot of left-right, up and down play.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't sell your can! I have suppressors from almost every major manufacturer and the only ones that have absolutely zero play are direct thread and those have disadvantages too.

Small amounts of rotational play have no detrimental effect on accuracy and will not cause can failures.

Worst case just buy a couple of mounts and find the one that times the best with your can.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#28]
MAG DUMP
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's what you have to understand.

Suppressors add weight to the end of the barrel.

POI shift is unavoidable.

When you add weight to the end of a barrel you are changing the harmonics of the barrel so therefore POI will shift regardless.

As to how much it will shift, well I can't say but it's dependent on many factors.  A repeatable POI shift after mounting a suppressor is normal if everything locks up like it should.  Even if there is a normal amount of movement.

If your suppressor has a lot of back and forward/side to side play, it is very possible it could cause the zero to shift to a different location each time.

AAC cans wobble.  It's just something you have to deal with, most of the time, no one has any issues with it, but the cases that wobbling is actually causing issues, AAC will take care of you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's going to explode.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's going to explode.

It may, after I run it on my 7.5inch 5.56 upper.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 5:45:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Got the new mount on this morning. Wobbles just as bad as the one I tried to polish. Gunna go do some mag dumps and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Plot twist. Put the suppressor on the new to me mount, wobble wobble Fuck! Went to pull it off Striiiiiip. Teeth inside the can stripped. FUUUUUUUUUUUUU.  Teeth on the can won't engage on either mount now. I set it down, walked out FO the shop and am posting this befor I smash the God damned thing. I had read that some ratchet systems hadn't been heat treated correctly on some of the earlier cans. Maybe I got a bad one. Gunna email AAC about sending it back.

I'm trying really had not to take this thing with me shooting today and putting a few rounds through it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#33]
heat treating wont stop you from stripping out the teeth if you turn it without pushing the latch in.  the heat treating is for wear resistance when putting it on.

ive always pushed the latch in when putting the can on too.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
heat treating wont stop you from stripping out the teeth if you turn it without pushing the latch in.  the heat treating is for wear resistance when putting it on.

ive always pushed the latch in when putting the can on too.  

View Quote

I do this to. I want to limit any metal to metal contact between the latch and teeth. The latch gets pressed in going on and off on my 51t cans.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#35]
So this could be 100% my fault, but I'm done with this supressor. Not mad, just disappointed. After taking a closer look at the mounts I could have polished the teeth along with the mount surface causing the thee th to slip. But on one of the mounts there is a broken tooth, again probably my fault for torquing the suppressor off when it was stuck, even with the latch pressed down. I'm going to send this back to aac to get the latch fixed then sell it. Im going direct thread only from now on. Again, not a bash against AAC at all, my fault.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

So this could be 100% my fault, but I'm done with this supressor. Not mad, just disappointed. After taking a closer look at the mounts I could have polished the teeth along with the mount surface causing the thee th to slip. But on one of the mounts there is a broken tooth, again probably my fault for torquing the suppressor off when it was stuck, even with the latch pressed down. I'm going to send this back to aac to get the latch fixed then sell it. Im going direct thread only from now on. Again, not a bash against AAC at all, my fault.
View Quote

I wouldn't give up on QD just because the AAC mount didn't work out for you. Direct thread is a pain in the ass for anything other than a bolt action imo. You could get a Saker or Omega and if you don't end up liking their QD system you can get direct thread modules for them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:52:11 AM EDT
[#37]
lol..you message me telling me your selling a 762sd as i was interested in one and i read this..lol...hope it works out for ya..
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:07:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

lol..you message me telling me your selling a 762sd as i was interested in one and i read this..lol...hope it works out for ya..
View Quote

I'm sure it would be good as new after it went back to AAC if you still want an AAC can.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:21:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Buyer beware.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#40]
UPDATE.
Got my can back from AAC, took about two weeks. They replaced the latch, pin, spring, and also refinished the supressor. It looks great but I still have some play/wobble where it won't lock up rock solid. I figured F it and took it out a couple days ago for some shooting. I dump a mag of my 300blk reloads through it no problem. Then I put up a fresh target and fired 5 rounds at 15 yards standing unsupported. And this happened.

I love the can, but just hate the wobble. I think I can live with it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:10:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Here is how you get rid of the wobble. You can also do this by hand with some scotch-brite, just takes a bit longer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top