Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2015 12:53:56 PM EDT
Need Glock 17 thread barrel - which ones work or which one have had issues?

Going to use Tirant 45 can and want RH threads if possible.

Brands that you guys like vs. ones to stay away from.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have Gemtech barrels for my 17 and 19. 0 problems out of them! I have a storm lake for a 9mm 1911 but it is not built yet... Seems nice though. I use  an SWR Trident 9 on them. I like the Gemtech barrels because they are finnished black instead of that bright polished stainless alot of them  are. They did seem alittle tight but I have not had any problems.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my lone wolf barrel

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I know there are some nice barrels out there for $200+ but was thinking if I could get a G17 with factory threaded barrel and high sights for $550 them might do that instead of $200 for the StormLake.  I might do the barrel route but always hard not to just buy a new guy :).  What I don't like on the factory G17 is it does not come with a thread protector (so $20 more to get that) and that it comes with LH thread.  Could be a non-issue.  The high sights is a nice feature.  Also not sure if I will need a stronger recoil spring on the old G17 and if the new threaded model comes with or needs a stronger recoil spring.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a PSA threaded barrel on my G17. Don't have a whole lot of rounds through it but I havent had any issues. They are around $110.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]
      <Banned Vendor.........removed.........dpmmn>  
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I've replaced all my glock barrels with LoneWolf barrels.  FWIW two other shooters I hang out with have as well.  All three of us saw some accuracy increases across the board and consistently over time so barring mass psychosis it was a real improvement.   25 yard groups tightened up quite a bit for me, 15% or so.

The downside, potential, is that the LW barrels are machined with a tighter lockup, this contributes to accuracy but it could have potential in a really dirty gun to create a malfunction.  I haven't seen it myself and neither have the other 2 shooters (or my wife but she's a recreational shooter).   But it is something to be aware of.

If you're a reloader of .40 the LW barrels have good support and have much less 'bulge' than the glock barrels do, especially the older gens.

I'm not thrilled with the rollmark but I'll take cost and performance over vanity most days.

I've run their barrels on 2 G19's, 1 G17 and also a G22 with a 40 to 9 conversion barrel.   Both straight and with an Octane 45 hanging off them with zero problems.  

The only change I made on the G22 was to swap the recoil spring out for a 1 lb heavier to compensate for the increased mass for the conversion barrel.  Note that it went 2-300 rounds even with my light plinking loads without any problems (115gr over 3gr titegroup), but the springs are practically free so why not?  I did not change the extractor from the 40 to the 9.  I prefer to be able to quickly change barrels/calibres in the field when I want to swing both ways and a barrel/spring is easy, a barrel/spring/extractor not so much.  

Note that you can use G22 mags for 9mm but you'll have the occasional FTF.   I really need to mark those better.

If you shoot cast then the LW barrels are standard rifling and can handle it without leading up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I have Gemtech barrels for my 19 and 21, both have been flawless.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone use their AAC credit to get one of their threaded Glock barrels?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Storm Lake is GTG.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have Gemtech barrels for my 19 and 21, both have been flawless.
View Quote

I believe those are LW barrels
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I have Storm Lake barrels in my Glock 17 (flawless with and without AAC TiRant 9), Glock 21 (flawless with and without SiCo Octane 45), and I have another getting fitted to a 1911.  

Glock 21:

Glock 17:

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Ive got factory glock and gemtech barrels.  Both work fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top