Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2015 4:15:05 PM EDT
I was searching ebay for rocksett and came across this stuff called Resbond 907TS. It looks like it might be a good alternative to Rocksett for securing flash hiders and silencer end caps. They sell it in several breaking strengths. I think it would also work well on gas block set screws since they sell a high strength version too.

I'm trying to find a breaking torque spec for Rocksett to compare it to this data sheet, but I can't find anything anywhere. I've heard it's very low though, usually only requires a little effort with a strap wrench.

Link to the data sheet... http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/pdf/907ts.pdf

I'm going to get a bottle to lock the endcaps on my Form 1 flashlight tube build, I'm not sure though if I'm going to go with the green or the blue. Probably the green since it should be just strong enough to prevent the cap from staying on the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not just go with rocksett since its already proven?  You can get a 4 oz bottle from amazon for $24 shipped.  It is pretty easy to remove anything that has been rocksetted (not sure if thats a word?).  The strength is comparable to blue loctite, but it withstands heat much better.  Its also water soluble so you can just soak it in water to loosen it up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The point of rockset is not that it is super strong but that is not effected by heat so it will work when you need it to, and it can still be removed, depending on the application and amount with just torque or by soaking in water.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Cause I don't have much use for the other 3.99 oz of Rocksett in the bottle I guess. This stuff I can use on just about everything I already use blue loctite on too (which is a lot of things, I use about 4oz in 6 months), plus some high heat applications on cars that I couldn't use rocksett on because of water dissolving it, like downpipe and y-pipe bolts. So I guess my reasons go beyond guns.

I got a bottle of the blue since the only place selling single bottles was OOS on the green. I'll see how it works I guess. It was $22.50 shipped on ebay. Some guy actually had Rocksett on there for $19 shipped, but I really wanted to try this stuff.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC, you can get something off w/ rocksett w/ about 35 ft/lbs of torque. I've had no problem removing things dozens of times and they stayed put when it mattered.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get a tiny tube of rocksett from Midway (and Silencer Shop?) for a $3/$4 bucks.   It's enough to do one break/FH easily and honestly I've used split it between 2 before and they're still tight after hundreds and hundreds of rounds. Including some serious torque on a couple of occasions from a can that didn't want to come off.

But every now and then my OCD kicks in and I have to try to re-time a brake so I broke down and bought the 4 oz bottle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cause I don't have much use for the other 3.99 oz of Rocksett in the bottle I guess. This stuff I can use on just about everything I already use blue loctite on too (which is a lot of things, I use about 4oz in 6 months), plus some high heat applications on cars that I couldn't use rocksett on because of water dissolving it, like downpipe and y-pipe bolts. So I guess my reasons go beyond guns.

I got a bottle of the blue since the only place selling single bottles was OOS on the green. I'll see how it works I guess. It was $22.50 shipped on ebay. Some guy actually had Rocksett on there for $19 shipped, but I really wanted to try this stuff.
View Quote

Just use rocksett. Plus you go through the bottle faster than you think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top