Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2015 1:38:54 PM EDT
I am quite attracted to the $399 price on the Tirant9 at SS.  The longevity of the aluminum baffles (vs the stainless ones on the Octane9) gives me pause.  I'm not gonna be shooting the suppressor a ton (I shoot 2 or 3 thousand 9mm a year).  With that kind of load should I even be concerned?

Also is there a better method of cleaning aluminum internals than a brass or nylon brush and elbow grease?  I know the dip is out and I have read ultrasonics are a bad idea on aluminum.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Good discussion on ultrasonics, cleaning solution, and aluminum:  http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=20&t=432950
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there any data to suggest that aluminum baffels have a shorter lifespan in a supressor than stainless ones?

I just don't think you're going to wear them out regardless of how many rounds you fire.

With regards to cleaning, on my Ti-rant I just use a toothbrush and some mineral spirts to clean them.  They're not new clean, but it gets all the non-baked on stuff off, and beyond that, is there is any benefit to cleaning down to bare metal?  It won't make it any quieter, reliability is not compromised, I don't see the need to have the baffles super clean.

So, I'd get the Tir-rant, unless you like the ablity to use a 3 lug mount with the Octane.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there any data to suggest that aluminum baffels have a shorter lifespan in a supressor than stainless ones?

I just don't think you're going to wear them out regardless of how many rounds you fire.

With regards to cleaning, on my Ti-rant I just use a toothbrush and some mineral spirts to clean them.  They're not new clean, but it gets all the non-baked on stuff off, and beyond that, is there is any benefit to cleaning down to bare metal?  It won't make it any quieter, reliability is not compromised, I don't see the need to have the baffles super clean.

So, I'd get the Tir-rant, unless you like the ablity to use a 3 lug mount with the Octane.
View Quote

To me, the reason for frequent cleaning is to ensure that the baffles can be removed from the tube rather than to maintain a pristine look on the baffles.

AAC recently came out with a 3-lug mount for the Ti-Rant (albeit, a little pricey).
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

To me, the reason for frequent cleaning is to ensure that the baffles can be removed from the tube rather than to maintain a pristine look on the baffles.

AAC recently came out with a 3-lug mount for the Ti-Rant (albeit, a little pricey).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, can that be used with an UZI?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

If your Uzi has a 3 lug barrel, it can.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ya, i did some looking around.  I would need a 3-lug barrel and a modified barrel nut.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am quite attracted to the $399 price on the Tirant9 at SS.  The longevity of the aluminum baffles (vs the stainless ones on the Octane9) gives me pause.  I'm not gonna be shooting the suppressor a ton (I shoot 2 or 3 thousand 9mm a year).  With that kind of load should I even be concerned?

Also is there a better method of cleaning aluminum internals than a brass or nylon brush and elbow grease?  I know the dip is out and I have read ultrasonics are a bad idea on aluminum.
View Quote

Is 2/3k alot of rounds for a suppressor?
I run through at least 500 rounds of 9mm each time I'm at the range.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget to factor in customer service. Silencerco has always been solid while AAC has had its ups and downs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And how often are you at the range?
I doubt 3k/year is heavy use

Quoted:

Link?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link?

Here
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link?

Here

Hmm, maybe i'll use my DTM rebate on this vs a Geiselle and some bullshit
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have the 3 lug adapter from AAC.  It works well.  I used a 3 lug adapter from Gemtech to put on my 6951.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link?

Here

I paid $140 for mine.  I bought someone's rebate on the EE and then used the rebate to get the adapter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top