Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 3:30:30 PM EDT
Hey guys so I bought a Yugo M77 (an AK chambered in 308).  I want to eventually shoot it suppressed with my Specwar 762 but the M77 is threaded in 14x1mm so Ill need an adapter to install the Silencerco muzzle brake that acts as the suppressor host.  Having to install an adapter to 5x8x24 and then installing the brake and then the can makes me seriously worry about baffle strikes.  Is there any way to test for baffle strikes?

I was thinking I would buy one of those fake suppressors they use to extend the overall length of rifles in places like CA, but I dont know if that would accurately simulate running an actual can.  Anybody have any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys so I bought a Yugo M77 (an AK chambered in 308).  I want to eventually shoot it suppressed with my Specwar 762 but the M77 is threaded in 14x1mm so Ill need an adapter to install the Silencerco muzzle brake that acts as the suppressor host.  Having to install an adapter to 5x8x24 and then installing the brake and then the can makes me seriously worry about baffle strikes.  Is there any way to test for baffle strikes?

I was thinking I would buy one of those fake suppressors they use to extend the overall length of rifles in places like CA, but I dont know if that would accurately simulate running an actual can.  Anybody have any other suggestions?
View Quote

If you really want to be sure, send it to ADCO for verification. I'd be very weary of using those threads, especially after attaching an adapter then a brake on top of that. Watching a slant break float around on AK threads makes me cringe thinking about screwing a suppressor on there.

Also, it's been discussed here many times, but AKs aren't the best suppressor hosts.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you really want to be sure, send it to ADCO for verification. I'd be very weary of using those threads, especially after attaching an adapter then a brake on top of that. Watching a slant break float around on AK threads makes me cringe thinking about screwing a suppressor on there.

Also, it's been discussed here many times, but AKs aren't the best suppressor hosts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is ADCO?  

And you are probably right, I love Yugo AKs but they aren't finely machined and I dont know if I trust their threads to be 100% perfect either, and adding an adapter, a brake and then a can seems like way too many variables where things can go wrong.

I do have a VEPR in 7.62x39 with type 2 sights (no front sight post on barrel instead the front sight is on the gas tube/handguard) that I had a smith cut and thread to 5/8x24 and then permanently install another Silencerco brake on and that one has been great with my suppressor but I bought it specifically for that project and with that goal in mind.  The Yugo M77 is definitely more of a 'normal' type AK (minus being 308) so it has the same issues with becoming a suppressed weapon.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Too many variables for me.    If you HAD to suppress your AK, I would chop the barrel and have it rethreaded in 5/8x24.

However, after watching AK's fire in slow motion, it seems you would be hard pressed to find a worse suppressor host.    Gas leaking everywhere, and the barrel whipping around like a noodle.    Seems like a recipe for a baffle strike.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#4]
https://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_qnew.cfm?code=Testing%2DEvaluation

When discriminating suppressor owners want their barrel checked, they choose ADCO.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#5]
geissley suppressor alignment rod ....done
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't spend too much money trying to suppress an AK. You will be disappointed at a rate that increases with the expense.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info guys.  Gonna kill the suppressor plans for the M77
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top