Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2015 1:05:03 PM EDT

I pick up my Ruger American Rimfire, 8334, tonight from the FFL and now I'm in the hunt for a suppressor.   This is my first threaded barrel firearm, this will be my first suppressor, heck, I haven't even ever shot a suppressed weapon before so that'll give you some idea of how much help I need.  

What do you recommend I consider to use as a suppressor for this rifle?  

Thanks,

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Silencerco Sparrow SS

Also, invest in some low velocity rounds.  Hi-Velocity 22's will still make a loud 'crack' when they break the sound barrier.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Silencerco Spectre II.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the Spectre 2!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Genesis, Sparrow, Prodigy, Outback, Warlock, Spectre, Element To name a few I own that are still in production.

I imagine the Ryder and Dead Air can will be GTG too but I have not shot them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 for sparrow. Have it and love it, to be fair I haven't shot a spectre yet. I LOVE my american rimfire. You should look into getting a m&p Ar 22, those two guns are so much fun to shoot suppressed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
+1 for sparrow. Have it and love it, to be fair I haven't shot a spectre yet. I LOVE my american rimfire. You should look into getting a m&p Ar 22, those two guns are so much fun to shoot suppressed.
View Quote

If you run the Sparrow on a S&W 15-22, you need a spacer to keep the threads from seating too deep and damaging the o-ring.  This is the spacer:

Sparrow Spacer

And I agree  S&W 15-22 + Sparrow SS = loads of fun.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I went with the SpectreII but there are many good choices.  The Sparrow supposedly is a little better suited for rifles but I think the difference is negligible.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#8]
FPNI
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I just picked up my Spectre II today so I can't vote with an honest conscience but you need to determine if you want to shoot other rimfire calibers or just .22lr and how important "the dip" cleaning method is to you
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Spectre II FTW
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got a Sparrow and a Tactical Solutions Axiom that I use an a Ruger American 17 hmr and a Savage FV-SR .22. Both cans are great. The Axiom is a little longer than the Sparrow but I don't notice a weight difference on either rifle. Both can handle .22, .17, and 5.7. The sparrow is a tad easier to clean but the Axiom is very close. Both still make me giggle on a 22 bolt gun. I'm sure you would be happy with either one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys,

appreciate the help
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Sparrow or Spectre II.  I have both and they're both great.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sparrow or Spectre II.  I have both and they're both great.
View Quote

I have 2 Spectre II's and have shot the Sparrow several times. I don't think you could go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#15]
YHM Stinger.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Sparrow or specter II you will be happy with either. But cleaning the sparrow is much easier.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sparrow or specter II you will be happy with either. But cleaning the sparrow is much easier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Because of the monocore?

Quoted:
YHM Stinger.

Based on what if you don't mind me asking.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:09:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Because of the monocore?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because of the monocore?

Quoted:
YHM Stinger.

I have it, the Warlock, and the Sparrow. The Stinger seems to sound the best on rifles. Absolutely no FRP.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Own the Sparrow and a couple Pilot 2s. Also have a Spectre and another Pilot in jail.

If you'll only be buying one, I'd suggest a Sparrow, Spectre, or another one of the bigger multi-cal cans. If you're looking at buying a couple, and this will only be for 22r, then go with a Pilot or another small/light can. There's a pretty big difference in size/weight between my Sparrow and Pilot. Also, the Pilot is a bit better on FRP than the Sparrow. That, and the low price (bought 3 when they were $260ea with a $200 rebate promo) is why I own 3 Pilots. They're great 22r cans.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I would agree with the above.if you have absolutely no interest in shooting 22 Magnum or 17 HMR, are looking for a lightweight can and don't mind a little extra cleaning time the pilot 2 is a great value and sounds as good or better than anything I have heard.if you don't mind a little extra weight and want cleaning to be easier then the specter 2 or sparrow is a no-brainer. I have all three of these cans
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Own the Sparrow and a couple Pilot 2s. Also have a Spectre and another Pilot in jail.

If you'll only be buying one, I'd suggest a Sparrow, Spectre, or another one of the bigger multi-cal cans. If you're looking at buying a couple, and this will only be for 22r, then go with a Pilot or another small/light can. There's a pretty big difference in size/weight between my Sparrow and Pilot. Also, the Pilot is a bit better on FRP than the Sparrow. That, and the low price (bought 3 when they were $260ea with a $200 rebate promo) is why I own 3 Pilots. They're great 22r cans.

View Quote

What method do you use to clean your Pilots?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I just got my Outback IID a couple weeks ago. I chose it for the db suppression and the fact tht I can take it apart for cleaning, and boy does it get dirty! I've been shooting lubed lead bullet subsonics througn it and I need to soak it for a while in an agent that will dissilve lead and carbon deposits, then use a bronze brush afterward. Won't ever get the discoloration off the aluminum K-baffles, but the other stuff comes pretty clean, at least enought to smoothly slide the baffles back in. I can't imagine shooting this for any length of time without cleaning. Great little can, though. I'm hooked. Two more factory cans on order, and I'm building a flashlight can as soon as I get my stamp back.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I just throw the baffles in the ultrasonic for a few cycles. Honestly, I haven't really shot enough ammo through any of my cans to worry much yet. Too many cans/guns to shoot, and too loll time to do it. So far, everything is coming apart easy. But I don't yet have a can with over 1k rounds on it.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top