Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2015 10:28:15 PM EDT
What happens after you get a baffle strike? Do you send the can back to the manufacturer for repair and if so how long does it take? Does the manufacturer replace it or simply repair the can due to the Serial Numbering.

Also Is there any way to 100% avoid getting a baffle strike.

These are the things I've been wondering.

I know these things probably have been answered 1000000 times but the search feature on this site blows. Every time I try to search it just doesn't work then it tells me I need to wait 60 seconds before preforming another search.If I could ask for one thing on this forum site to be fixed it would be the search feature.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure that your threads are concentric. If QD, make sure your mount is properly torqued and the can is on tight. Check to make sure it doesn't back off. Shoot ammo that you know your gun stabilizes.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Easier to search using Google. Just add site:ar15.com after you enter your search terms.

The answer is "it depends". Depends on the can. Depends on the manufacturer. Depends on the extent of the damage. No single answer. It usually goes back to the manufacturer, although you could have a SOT fix it if you're willing to pay out of pocket. For cans like the Saker, and when it's just an end cap strike, you can even buy your own end cap and swap it if they won't warranty it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Even then, shit happens.   Ive had very good factory ammo cause a baffle strike before.    A sticky or unlubed piston on a big pistol can may do it too.  

Basically, if you have good threads, good parts, good lube and good sense, you might never get a baffle strike.   If you do, most manufacturers will take care of you.   Liberty and SilencerCo will usually fix  your can, no questions asked.  Surefire also, usually.   Gemtech and AAC used to.   I havent had a need for Gemtech to fix anything for me ever, and havent used AAC's customer service guys in a long time, so who knows.

Generally,  a big name quality company will fix your fuckup for free the first time.   After that, its on you.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#4]
OP, most sites' search feature blows, IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

"You all just have been spoiled and left with unrealistic expectations thanks to google." -software developer

As to the OP.
On a fixed barrel direct thread you have only a few things that can go wrong.
-barrel threads: not concentric.
-can threads: not concentric / not tightened to barrel. Before anyone asks yes your cans direct threads can have concentricity issues due to user / poor QA.
-ammo: not stable /keyhole or jacket separation.

On a fixed barrel QD mount:
-barrel threads: poor threads, to many shims used leading to gulled threads. Same as above.
-can QD mount : poor lock up. Backing off the mount, wearing out the mount.
-barrel QD mount: timing is off. Installed wrong. Crush washers vs peel washers and the like. Basically concentricity issues.
-ammo: same as above.

On any non fixed barrel /pistol can.
-barrel: the barrel some of which have an adapter can be out of spec. Over tightened or under tightened. Cross threaded adapted. Out of spec barrel.
-Nelson device/ piston system: lube as mentioned in other posts. Lack of cleaning. Shooting .22 ammo in a fixed mount then putting the piston back on. This can make the can sit off angle on the piston which will get you a easy baffle strike.
-the can itself: lack of cleaning a can that has had .22 ammo shot through it. You would be amazed at how much lead a suppressor can hold when .22 ammo is involved. You can fill up a .22 can to with enough stuff that it can cause baffle strikes. As for setting like an octane with that much more internal volume I haven't heard of anyone filling it to the brim yet with lead.

Universal problems with any suppressor:
-people: you would be amazed at the thing humans can do. I can't find the image but it was posted on another suppressor forum several years ago of a can that had a baffle strike. The user say his barrel threads were not concentric.... So he put it on another gun and it got a second baffle strike. Turns out he owned up to "dropped the gun while walking and it bent slightly to one side while still threaded" the intelligent solution was to put it in a vice and "bend it till it looked straight".

Things happen when shooting.
Typically if you did your part to make sure nothing was neglected on the part of the user a manufacturer will fix it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

"You all just have been spoiled and left with unrealistic expectations thanks to google." -software developer

<snip>

Typically if you did your part to make sure nothing was neglected on the part of the user a manufacturer will fix it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

I completely agree.

I have also had a baffle strike with Remington 300BLK ammo using a factory AAC upper with an AAC suppressor.  They fixed it but I still cannot explain what happened.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#7]
A lot of bad has to go wrong for a baffle strike to occur.

Now an end strike is more common IMHO. A lot of thing could cause one. Even simply a bad round can cause it

I have had one. Cause unknown. No problems from having one however
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one with a Gemtech HALO.

Expensive repair.

Made me think hard about the practical elements of lugging around a suppressor.

I have no need for a suppressor.

Therefore, I no longer own one.

Fragile, heavy, hot, maintenance liability hanging on the end of my rifle.

Can buy lots of ear muffs for what I paid to fix that damn thing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]
how much was the repair?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
how much was the repair?
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#11]
How did you manage to find your way back into the suppressor forum?

Did WECSOG have anything to do with your baffle strike?

How was Gemtech CS?

Quoted:

Expensive repair.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Expensive repair.

View Quote

I can't seem to agree with this statement
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
-people: you would be amazed at the thing humans can do. I can't find the image but it was posted on another suppressor forum several years ago of a can that had a baffle strike. The user say his barrel threads were not concentric.... So he put it on another gun and it got a second baffle strike. Turns out he owned up to "dropped the gun while walking and it bent slightly to one side while still threaded" the intelligent solution was to put it in a vice and "bend it till it looked straight".

View Quote

I already get anxious just letting my suppressed rifles lean against the wall with the can installed. Dropping it and "fixing" it like that would give me a damn heart attack
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#14]
just reading while i am waiting for my first can...

Am I correct to assume that subsonic ammo has more chances of not stabilizing, so does that mean that the rate of end cap strikes goes up with use of subsonic ammo?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:12:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I already get anxious just letting my suppressed rifles lean against the wall with the can installed. Dropping it and "fixing" it like that would give me a damn heart attack
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this a possible bad thing to do? alerting my gun rest against the wall by the suppressor ?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:33:11 AM EDT
[#16]
They are inevitable.  They will more than likely happen some time down the road if you shoot a lot, not always, but possibly.   No matter how many precautions you take checking barrel thread concentricity, ammo type, etc.

If its a severe baffle strike, send it in for repair/replacement.  If it just grazes an endcap, keep chugging on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a few bullets kiss the endcap on my Octane due to a dirty 3-lug mount. It's important to clean mounts with moving parts! The only issues were inaccurate shooting and a slight copper transfer onto the endcap, so no harm was done, but it still made me nervous when I first saw it. Fortunately, an endcap is no big deal on an Octane.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:11:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:52:06 AM EDT
[#19]
That's really not bad, you got end cap and baffle stack for like 40 bucks more than a surefire muzzle break.

Sucks it happened though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:14:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Is this a possible bad thing to do? alerting my gun rest against the wall by the suppressor ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure it could do anything bad (it's VERY little force required to hold it up), but it's always a "what if" in the back of my mind
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Id be thrilled to replace a baffle stack on a centerfire can for 200 bucks.

I was told it would cost as much as buying a new can to replace baffles in my M4-2000. This was from a separate entity than AAC however
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Plus, this was seven years ago. In today's market, I'd bet this damage would have been repaired at no cost as long as it wasn't caused by gross negligence.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Id be thrilled to replace a baffle stack on a centerfire can for 200 bucks.
View All Quotes

This
Quoted:
I was told it would cost as much as buying a new can to replace baffles in my M4-2000. This was from a separate entity than AAC however

Stalking Rhino?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:22:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had it happen twice; endcap graze on my Octane9 and baffle strikes on my VERS 9S. Both times the respective manufacturer was awesome and incredibly helpful; Silencerco was super fast in replacing the endcap, and Tom (owner at Bowers) rebuilt basically the whole can for me and spent time on the phone going over possible issues. Both times I only paid for the shipping costs too.

While I cant say with 100% certainty, I'm pretty sure the cause in both instances was the can coming loose. Since then i check the Octane every 5-7rds (on a pistol), and I hold onto the VERS 9S while shooting on my M11/9 using a Bowers Griptastic cover. Since then I've had zero issues on a variety of hosts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#25]
So I was reading and saw a few times people saying suppressor manufacturers will not warranty their suppressors if you install a QD brake or flash hider. Is this true for most companies?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So I was reading and saw a few times people saying suppressor manufacturers will not warranty their suppressors if you install a QD brake or flash hider. Is this true for most companies?
View Quote

AAC doesn't void their warranty if you use their QD mounts. Any company who would sell you both a suppressor and a mount specially made for that suppressor and then void your warranty for using them is shady, imho.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#27]
So I was in the liquor store the other day, and had my 22/45 with Sparrow in my jacket pocket. I reached up to grab my Makers Mark when my pistol fell out of my pocked kinda slow. The end of the Sparrow hit the ground first. I put it back in my jacket and went to pay for my booze. Should I be worried about baffle strikes? I think it hit my boot before the ground. Thank god i had a bigger-than-me guy betwixed the Makers and me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So I was in the liquor store the other day, and had my 22/45 with Sparrow in my jacket pocket. I reached up to grab my Makers Mark when my pistol fell out of my pocked kinda slow. The end of the Sparrow hit the ground first. I put it back in my jacket and went to pay for my booze. Should I be worried about baffle strikes? I think it hit my boot before the ground. Thank god i had a bigger-than-me guy betwixed the Makers and me.
View Quote

No Pappy Van Winkle.... or at least Weller 12?..... Fail.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

AAC doesn't void their warranty if you use their QD mounts. Any company who would sell you both a suppressor and a mount specially made for that suppressor and then void your warranty for using them is shady, imho.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant to say they would void the warranty unless they were the ones to install the QD mount. If the customer installs the QD mount then the warranty if void.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This

Stalking Rhino?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This
Quoted:

Stalking Rhino?

Correct Stalking Rhino.

Never talked to AAC about a rebuild or if they'll even do one. I was always under the impressing sealed cans cannot be rebuilt. I have a boat load of rounds down range with my can. I really expect that guy to last for most my life. Only thing that concerns me is carbon build up is getting pretty ridiculous(honestly wondering if some of it is vaporized lead/copper as well bc you cannot remove it). Not that it seems to matter to much in regards to sound reduction however.

I was told that end caps can be chopped, replaced, rewelded however. Never asked about baffles though
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I think my barrel would bend before my silencer would. Mine dual functions as a club though, at 32oz.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine got hit by the ceiling fan.    They are pretty tough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top