Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2014 11:37:47 AM EDT
All experts - ordered a YHM Stinger, which is direct thread 1/2x28 and will work great on my AR-15 22LR upper.

I also have an M&P 22LR (full size) that I'd like to participate in the fun.  My weak google-fu shows me that there are 9mm, 40, 45 available, but no 22LR.

I have a guy that has threaded AR barrels for me in the past, but it does not feel thick/robust enough to handle being threaded.

Ideas?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
All experts - ordered a YHM Stinger, which is direct thread 1/2x28 and will work great on my AR-15 22LR upper.
View Quote

If the thread length on the AR-2 22LR upper is 0.6", you will need a 0.2" spacer before you attach your Stinger.

I also have an M&P 22LR (full size) that I'd like to participate in the fun.  My weak google-fu shows me that there are 9mm, 40, 45 available, but no 22LR.

I have a guy that has threaded AR barrels for me in the past, but it does not feel thick/robust enough to handle being threaded.

Ideas?

Thanks!
View Quote

The M&P22 barrel is threaded, but you will need a thread adapter to bring it up to 1/2x28 and provide a shoulder for the suppressor. IIRC, the M&P22 thread adapter is the same as the Walther P22 thread adapter.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Your M&P22 should already have a threaded barrel with a thread protector on it, and you would just need an adapter like this...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, let me clarify, my AR-15 22L upper is a CMMG upper, with a regular 1/2x28 thread on it.

the M&P is a pistol, full size.  Not in front of me, but pretty darn sure no threading.

ETA:  looks like the link to the adapter thingy is what I was looking for, maybe.  I see the threaded part, but how does it actually attach???

Thanks again
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#4]
On the M&P22, pull back the slide, and on a factory barrel, you should see a thread protector on the end.  You would need to remove that and install the adapter...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#5]
OK, will check it out.

Do you have hands-on experience with one of those adapters?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If the thread length on the AR-2 22LR upper is 0.6", you will need a 0.2" spacer before you attach your Stinger.

The M&P22 barrel is threaded, but you will need a thread adapter to bring it up to 1/2x28 and provide a shoulder for the suppressor. IIRC, the M&P22 thread adapter is the same as the Walther P22 thread adapter.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ideas?

Thanks!

Without having the suppressor or ability to measure, is .6" standard for 5.56 threads?  If so, would I use the washer that comes with the standard flash hider?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

OK, will check it out.

View Quote
I personally do not have the M&P, but I have seen them.  I have a GSG1911-22 which uses a similar adapter...

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I personally do not have the M&P, but I have seen them.  I have a GSG1911-22 which uses a similar adapter...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, will check it out.

I have one, as well as the new M&P22 Compact (and the GSG 1911-22).

It works just as described. To give you an idea, here's the Compact on top with the factory thread protector, and the fullsize on the bottom with the threaded adapter for a suppressor to screw onto:

The Compact uses a different thread pitch, so you can't use the same P22 adapter that the fullsize uses. Plenty of options out there for a P22 adapter for your M&P22.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It works just as described. To give you an idea, here's the Compact on top with the factory thread protector, and the fullsize on the bottom with the threaded adapter for a suppressor to screw onto:

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/thegreghorton/Mobile%20Uploads/58CE135E-5718-4804-B0BD-2F542ACE3195_zpsa6icvcwh.jpg

The Compact uses a different thread pitch, so you can't use the same P22 adapter that the fullsize uses. Plenty of options out there for a P22 adapter for your M&P22.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, will check it out.

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/thegreghorton/Mobile%20Uploads/58CE135E-5718-4804-B0BD-2F542ACE3195_zpsa6icvcwh.jpg

Nice!  That answers that I guess...back to my dumb question, what is the process for swapping out the factory to the new adapter?  Tools?  Force?  Anything special?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice!  That answers that I guess...back to my dumb question, what is the process for swapping out the factory to the new adapter?  Tools?  Force?  Anything special?
View Quote

Yeah...you should probably take it to an armorer. It takes years of training to do this type of gunsmith work.

Seriously, though...ever wondered what the nifty little wrench that came with the gun was for?

Not my pic...just found it online.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#11]
uhh, nope.  But, I still have the box somewhere.

Great info, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I've used similar adapters on the Walther P22 and SIG Mosquito

Undo the old and pop on the new. I used loctite on mine to secure the adapter to the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Want to make sure, but looks like THIS will work?  Amazon is cheaper, free shipping.

Thanks again all.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Want to make sure, but looks like THIS will work?  Amazon is cheaper, free shipping.
View Quote

Should work just fine.

If you had a SiCo rimfire can, I'd recommend something different. But for the YHM, that one will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#15]
thanks!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah...you should probably take it to an armorer. It takes years of training to do this type of gunsmith work.

Seriously, though...ever wondered what the nifty little wrench that came with the gun was for?

http://www.gunblast.com/images/SW-MP22/DSC03181.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.gunblast.com/images/SW-MP22/DSC03181.JPG

That wrench is garbage half the time!  Especially if you have an adapter that's stuck
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Make sure the barrels sleeve is properly indexed before you tighten the adapter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top