Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2014 10:11:38 PM EDT
I was THIS close to doing the Capitol Armory buy but I called a friend and he said "You don't want the Ss."  He's shot them and said the full size were way quieter.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Your friend is correct.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#2]
The fullsize versions have more baffles and it becomes a tradeoff between suppression and length (and weight). Only you can really decide which way you want to compromise. The responses to your thread why are pistol cans so big? pretty much captured the shortfall of short cans and what it takes to improve their performance and the cost to do so.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The fullsize versions have more baffles and it becomes a tradeoff between suppression and length (and weight). Only you can really decide which way you want to compromise. The responses to your thread why are pistol cans so big? pretty much captured the shortfall of short cans and what it takes to improve their performance and the cost to do so.

View Quote

Thanks.  Are any of them "hearing safe?"

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've shot a tirant 45 on a 1911 using subsonic ammo and I would definitely not consider it hearing safe. My ears rang for a day afterward. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are crazy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Hearing safe", or rather tolerance to gunshot noise, also depends on the person. I've shot a wet, Octane 45 on my Glock 34 with my own personal 147gr reloads and that was fairly comfortable to shoot in the open with foam ear plugs.

However, I wouldn't consider my hearing "normal". When I was a kid someone dropped a large firecracker near me and it takes very little now in the way of gunshot noise to make my ears ring. I have to double up on plugs and muffs whenever I shoot anything centerfire. Suppressors work great to take the edge off.

The only thing I shoot without hearing protection is subsonic .22 through a bolt gun in an open field.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, if I'm gonna have to wear foamies regardless then I'll probably get the shorter cans.

I wonder if someday they'll have some new tech to get the small cans within "hearing safe."  Somebody's gotta be working on it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Tirant 9 + HK P30 + Fiocchi 158 grain 9mm = Hearing Safe
Tirant 45 + HK45 + 230 grain ammo = Hearing Safe
No foam plugs, no ringing ears. YMMV

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/AKSU_album/Firearms/927A6A25-12C8-4CA1-950E-E1F726405509_zpsniajly3f.jpg
View Quote

More info on the Shotgun?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/AKSU_album/Firearms/927A6A25-12C8-4CA1-950E-E1F726405509_zpsniajly3f.jpg

Rem 870P 12 gauge
Magpul Kit
Ares Gear ammo panel
12.5" barrel, Rem Chokes, rifle sights, all work done by Rose Action Sports aka Guncat on the board here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outdoors with subsonic ammo the full length versions I bet are hearing safe.  I'll shoot my 45 Osprey outside with either standard 230 gr 45 auto or 147 gr 9mm and both are pleasant to the ear for me.  Shooting subsonic 22 thru my Spectre 2 outside seems as quiet as a mosquito fart.

I will say that moving indoors to a range is different on all three, even the 22.  The sound that deflects off the stall walls and backstop is pretty loud in a confined area - I wear ear pro with all three.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I got to shoot my 9S on my P938 a few weeks ago...shooting subsonic, wet, outdoors, in an open field was definitely hearing safe. Tried it again in an indoor range and needed foam plugs just to take the bite off. Ymmv. Love my Ti-Rant 9S on my P938. I'm just waiting for my form 4 to clear that went pending early August so I can take it home.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#12]
G21SF and TiRant 45 shot dry with WWB or Fed 230gr is very comfortable for me without muffs or plugs.  YMMV.  The same can is also very quiet on a G19 with Speer 147gr TMJ (subsonic) ammo...and Glocks aren't known for being the best hosts.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've shot a tirant 45 on a 1911 using subsonic ammo and I would definitely not consider it hearing safe. My ears rang for a day afterward. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are crazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indoor range?  That's odd because mine is pretty darn quiet and comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Outdoor range shot wet.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Outdoor range shot wet.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm...I got nothing.  Never shot mine on an 1911 host so I can't speak that piece.

Outdoor range shot wet.    

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I was really happy with my EVO 45 until I got the TiRant

Outdoors wet at 5000+' elevation and I can't believe how quiet it is.

The Shorts were designed to be carried in a holster by Tier 1 types using them as a backup to their rifles, so they weren't too concerned about noise, but some folks report them as being quieter than the full size. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I have both a Tirant 9 and 9S.

With supersonic ammo, the 9S is MUCH louder than the 9.

With subsonic ammo, both are very quiet.  I'm really impressed by the 9S with 147 gr subs ... don't know if it's hearing safe though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top