Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2014 9:02:41 AM EDT
... is there any merit in, or negative consequences of, conditioning a new suppressor (internals) with Break-free prior to initial use?

Is there another or better hi-temp liquid solution? Or is this a waste of time and resources?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
... is there any merit in, or negative consequences of, conditioning a new suppressor (internals) with Break-free prior to initial use?
Is there another or better hi-temp liquid solution? Or is this a waste of time and resources?

View Quote

There is nothing to condition.  You just shoot boolits through it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess I'm confused as to what you're trying to "condition".

I've never heard of this.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I put a couple of drops of BF into my .22 cans before shooting.

When I'm done I turn the can on it's end and let it sit for a day or two.  Turn it upside down and tap it on a rubber pad, and a good amount of unburned powder will fall out into a nice, neat pile.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are meant to run dry.  If you put break free in, it will vaporize and go OUT.  Will make the can a bit quieter initially on pistol and rimfire cans and then it will smoke to high heaven .

On a RIFLE can, you could blow the thing up.  If there is an excess of left over break free in the can, it acts as a coolant. Basically, you're shooting the can 'wet' and rifle cans aren't designed for that.

JUST SHOOT IT!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

... similar to my thinking as well.

First, submerse entire suppressor in Pyrex tube filled with Break-Free overnight, thoroughly drain.

Then just add a couple drops prior to shooting

Hypothesis being, may be easier to clean and maintain in the future

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Is this a .22 can, a pistol can or a rifle can?

Only advantage might be to keep a rimfire can from leading up as quickly.
Make sure it won't eat your coating off.

Rifle cans are basically self-cleaning with full power ammo.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#7]
In general, nothing needs to be done. You can put some grease/oil/water in some types of suppressors as an artificial environment to help quiet things down but there is no "conditioning" necessary.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They are meant to run dry.  If you put break free in, it will vaporize and go OUT.  Will make the can a bit quieter initially on pistol and rimfire cans and then it will smoke to high heaven .

On a RIFLE can, you could blow the thing up.  If there is an excess of left over break free in the can, it acts as a coolant. Basically, you're shooting the can 'wet' and rifle cans aren't designed for that.

JUST SHOOT IT!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JUST SHOOT IT!

I'm not saying you're wrong but the instructions to my Surefire Mini states you can shoot it wet. The warranty would cover it if something bad happened.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Que? Conditioning?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not saying you're wrong but the instructions to my Surefire Mini states you can shoot it wet. The warranty would cover it if something bad happened.
View Quote

I'm not saying YOU are wrong, but can you provide a link?  Does this apply to the full-sized cans as well?  And are you saying that they recommend using conventional coolants to improve performance or just that if you get the can wet, you don't have to dry it before you shoot it?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm not saying YOU are wrong, but can you provide a link?  Does this apply to the full-sized cans as well?  And are you saying that they recommend using conventional coolants to improve performance or just that if you get the can wet, you don't have to dry it before you shoot it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just a couple cc's, and shake out the eccess,  my spr m4 and socom both say you can add water, and surefire says you can also use saliva, which i dont feel is necesary, but i could.

the only thing i could see going wrong is adding too much water and it running back, filling the barrel. its not goimg to blow up the can
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a link to my user manual but here is exactly what it states-

"To eliminate first round flash, detach suppressor and add a small amount of water into the rear of the suppressor or submerge suppressor under water. Hold vertically 6-8 seconds to drain any excess water before re-attaching . Saliva or other non-flammable liquid can be used if water is not available."

Here is a video showing a Mini filled completely with water by Larry Vickers and then being shot.

http:/ /youtu.be/wviX3yemjMI
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

"To eliminate first round flash, detach suppressor and add a small amount of water into the rear of the suppressor or submerge suppressor under water. Hold vertically 6-8 seconds to drain any excess water before re-attaching . Saliva or other non-flammable liquid can be used if water is not available."

Here is a video showing a Mini filled completely with water by Larry Vickers and then being shot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Socom556-Rc said the same thing. I shot it wet with water and it sounded like it made a tiny difference.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My Socom556-Rc said the same thing. I shot it wet with water and it sounded like it made a tiny difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Running it wet won't lower the decibels noticeably like a pistol can will.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/wviX3yemjMI
View Quote

Thanks for the info and the link.  I did a little more poking around.  I think the best reason for running a RIFLE can wet would be flash suppression.  I still don't think it would be something I would ever do.

Watching the Vickers video, I have a different take on what I saw.  He didn't 'fill' the suppressor completely with water.  You see him pouring water in, but on the first shot, there is no water pouring out of any orifice.  It's likely he did what I do with pistol and rimfire cans.  That is, pour a few ounces in then shake it out a few times.

But, I was under the [mistaken] impression that rifle cans should not be run wet.  The advantages seem small, though, so it is more academic to me tat this point.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When I'm done I turn the can on it's end and let it sit for a day or two.  Turn it upside down and tap it on a rubber pad, and a good amount of unburned powder will fall out into a nice, neat pile.
View Quote

That will happen with most .22 cans, without breakfree.

OP, there is no break-in period for a silencer. Take it out of the box and shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Be careful when adding media to a rifle can.  The media can displace volume in the can, which results in increased pressure which your can may or may not handle well.

There's another thread I read about someone "conditioning" his pistol can baffles and tube which various lubricants to see if it would make them any easier to clean/more resistant to fouling.  It did in some cases, but not by much.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#18]
... Range report

No additives. Ran it dry strait from box, the factory residue sure put on quite a smoky show for the first dozen rounds or so!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top