Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2014 9:25:13 PM EDT
After a year wait my stamp showed up in the mail for my YHM Stainless QD 30 cal can. This is my first can so what do I need to know about it? Cleaning,storage, things if should own with it? Any thing and any links to good info is appreciated. Thanks
Ben
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have yet to need to clean mine.   As far as storage, buy a nylon pouch of some sorts.  Keep in safe.  

Find a good source to get QD brakes and FH for as cheap as possible.   Mine goes on 90% of all of my rifles.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
After a year wait my stamp showed up in the mail for my YHM Stainless QD 30 cal can. This is my first can so what do I need to know about it? Cleaning,storage, things if should own with it? Any thing and any links to good info is appreciated. Thanks
Ben
View Quote

It came with a manual, right?  If not, here is a link. There's an entire section titled "Care".

YHM does make a nice pouch (available separately) you could use. I have the 8" version on my LT, and another one coming for my pending ULT.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#3]
What is this "clean" you speak of?

I've got a Ti QD .30cal can, never cleaned it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:29:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I keep it on my 300 blk sbr, to clean I dump a mag of full power loads as fast as I can, pretty sure all that heat cleans it up nicely, when done shooting I just put it back in the safe. No problems so far
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:01:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ben
View Quote

All you need to know is that it goes on the end of your rifle when you shoot it. When you're done using it, just toss it somewhere safe til the next time you need to use it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

All you need to know is that it goes on the end of your rifle when you shoot it. When you're done using it, just toss it somewhere safe til the next time you need to use it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ben

This.  Take it from me - Do NOT Clean it.....ever. Just not worth it.  Kroil smells like ass and is expensive and at the end of the day does very very little to clean it.  Just shoot her OP.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#7]
It does seem like it would be a good to periodically clean the can threads and the mounting ring inside the can that engages the end of the flash hider.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It does seem like it would be a good to periodically clean the can threads and the mounting ring inside the can that engages the end of the flash hider.
View Quote

That's what the toothy end of the flash hider is for, to scrape out any carbon etc every time the can is mounted/unmounted.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's what the toothy end of the flash hider is for, to scrape out any carbon etc every time the can is mounted/unmounted.
View Quote

Yeah, I understand that's the function of the pointy parts of the FH.  However, keeping the alignment ring clean would reduce wear on the parts, no?  Or is it one of those things that the wear is so infinitesimal it doesn't matter if you clean it because removing/installing the can ten thousand times won't affect the alignment?  I use my can on several different rifles, so it gets moved a lot.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ben

I'd let it cool first
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, I understand that's the function of the pointy parts of the FH.  However, keeping the alignment ring clean would reduce wear on the parts, no?  Or is it one of those things that the wear is so infinitesimal it doesn't matter if you clean it because removing/installing the can ten thousand times won't affect the alignment?  I use my can on several different rifles, so it gets moved a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just clean the threads on the mount if there is carbon build up.  The wear on the mount mechanism will be more in the spring washer on the backside of the mount.  I have moved my .30 Q/D Ti around on different rifles a lot and the only problem has been some carbon buildup on the threads.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did the ring get dirty? It's an interference fit between the two parts. Anything that gets in while shotting off scrapped off when removing.

As for mounts, JoeBob Outfitters is the cheapest delivered price I've found.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How did the ring get dirty? It's an interference fit between the two parts. Anything that gets in while shotting off scrapped off when removing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's where I got mine, or Silencershop.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Y'all need to shop around some more.

Exile Machine and Advanced American Arms have them for a good but cheaper. I've paid $55-$64 for all of mine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Y'all need to shop around some more.

Exile Machine and Advanced American Arms have them for a good but cheaper. I've paid $55-$64 for all of mine.
View Quote

Neither had anything that I've needed in the last year as far as muzzle devices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top