Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2014 3:06:01 PM EDT
what is it? and is it still of decent quality?
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Gemtech Trek-T @ 10.78 oz

And no.

What do I win?

ETA: Dude, you are kind of asking "I want something bigger than a breadbox that can fit in a breadbox".
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#2]
You won't be able to shoot it as hard as a steel can. Gemtech won't tell me what ROF I can use without damaging it so I won't buy one.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And no.

What do I win?

ETA: Dude, you are kind of asking "I want something bigger than a breadbox that can fit in a breadbox".
View Quote

On what do you base your opinion that the trek-t is of inferior quality?
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And no.

What do I win?

Look at  the post above yours for my reason as to not trusting them.  That and they don't give out the series of titanium nor whether it is a fully welded core....at least not when I asked.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And no.

What do I win?

View Quote

I was going to say you win a Very Bad Person award before the edit.
The OP shouldn't be looking at just light, but you know that. Or Gemtech.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#6]
i saw griffin is releasing aluminum sportsman cans.
super light,
http://www.griffinarmament.com/Sportsman-30-Taper-Mount-Silencer-p/gastm30.htm
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:33:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Let me rephrase, I've got an AAC m4-2000 already. Looking for something somewhat lighter because my rifle is already heavy as hell. Difficult to maneuver.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 6:03:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Gemtech Trek-T is 10.3 oz, 5.7" long and uses a thread on mount so you remove the length and weight of the existing flash hider, so really it ends up beign like 4.5" and 8oz added to the rifle, it is hands down an amazing suppressor.

The Trek-T is in fact designed for full auto fire, call Gemtech if you want. Here is a quote direct from Gemtech...
Its tough construction is suitable for full auto and usage on modern, shorter barrel (10.3" or greater) carbines.
View Quote

I have also talked with reps at Gemtech and they say it is fine to use with full auto fire.  As far as them not telling you how its welded or the detailed specification on how its built that is their proprietary information and them not wanting to give that out doesnt me its a bad suppressor, thats just you being paranoid. This is not a mom & pop company making suppressors out of their garage where you need to questions if they are actually welding their products, this is one of the top manufacturers of suppressors on the whole planet, i think they have it figured out and the last thing they want to do is give out all of their trade secrets.

The whole Titanium being junk compared to steel is an internet rumor. Anyone with a technical background should know that titanium is STRONGER than steel, not weaker.  On top of that titanium has better high temperature strength than steel, meaning as any metal increases in temperature it becomes weaker, however, steel looses strength faster percent wise than titanium as the temp increases.

So to say that it is not rated for full auto fire or that titanium is weaker than steel is complete Bulls**t. These rumors are most likely being spread by internet trolls who have no connection with the Manufacturer nor any back ground in Engineering or Metallurgy. These trolls probably couldn't afford a titanium suppressor and when asked why they bought the heavy steel suppressor instead of the fancy high end titanium model they don't want to admit to being poor a$$ broke, so they instead make up some BS about steel being better than titanium, a claim that goes against all scientific evidence.

EDIT: Gemtech also makes a new line of "Extreme Duty Suppressors" which are designed to meet the rigorous SOCOM testing standards, I dont know what those standards are but i iagine they are pretty intense. The GMT-556LE is equivalent to the Trek-T, its the same exterior dimensions but imagine it has thicker walls and a heavier baffle.

Personally I would not hesitate to use my Trek-T for full auto fire, especially out of a mag fed rifle like a M16. My class 3 dealer has actually seen a G5-T (the quick detach version of the Trek-T) have 15,000 rounds shoot through it from a a SAW in only a few hours time. He said some of the coating pealed off and the POI had moved several feet at 100 yards but was still running strong.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 6:59:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gemtech Trek-T is 10.3 oz, 5.7" long and uses a thread on mount so you remove the length and weight of the existing flash hider, so really it ends up beign like 4.5" and 8oz added to the rifle, it is hands down an amazing suppressor.

The Trek-T is in fact designed for full auto fire, call Gemtech if you want. Here is a quote direct from Gemtech...

I have also talked with reps at Gemtech and they say it is fine to use with full auto fire.  As far as them not telling you how its welded or the detailed specification on how its built that is their proprietary information and them not wanting to give that out doesnt me its a bad suppressor, thats just you being paranoid. This is not a mom & pop company making suppressors out of their garage where you need to questions if they are actually welding their products, this is one of the top manufacturers of suppressors on the whole planet, i think they have it figured out and the last thing they want to do is give out all of their trade secrets.

The whole Titanium being junk compared to steel is an internet rumor. Anyone with a technical background should know that titanium is STRONGER than steel, not weaker.  On top of that titanium has better high temperature strength than steel, meaning as any metal increases in temperature it becomes weaker, however, steel looses strength faster percent wise than titanium as the temp increases.

So to say that it is not rated for full auto fire or that titanium is weaker than steel is complete Bulls**t. These rumors are most likely being spread by internet trolls who have no connection with the Manufacturer nor any back ground in Engineering or Metallurgy. These trolls probably couldn't afford a titanium suppressor and when asked why they bought the heavy steel suppressor instead of the fancy high end titanium model they don't want to admit to being poor a$$ broke, so they instead make up some BS about steel being better than titanium, a claim that goes against all scientific evidence.

EDIT: Gemtech also makes a new line of "Extreme Duty Suppressors" which are designed to meet the rigorous SOCOM testing standards, I dont know what those standards are but i iagine they are pretty intense. The GMT-556LE is equivalent to the Trek-T, its the same exterior dimensions but imagine it has thicker walls and a heavier baffle.

Personally I would not hesitate to use my Trek-T for full auto fire, especially out of a mag fed rifle like a M16. My class 3 dealer has actually seen a G5-T (the quick detach version of the Trek-T) have 15,000 rounds shoot through it from a a SAW in only a few hours time. He said some of the coating pealed off and the POI had moved several feet at 100 yards but was still running strong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Its tough construction is suitable for full auto and usage on modern, shorter barrel (10.3" or greater) carbines.

Titanium is an inferior material for rifle suppressors that will see rapid fire, period. It absolutely does not handle heat as well as steel, and it is nowhere near as ablation resistant as inconel or stellite. That's why not a single manufacturer uses titanium for a blast baffle, even in their titanium cans.
Gemtech not saying anything about their construction isn't protecting any trade secrets. Any competitor can just buy one and cut it open. A manufacturer pulling this implies something to hide.
Titanium suppressors also spark.
For a light use can it will be fine.

And yes, I said all this because I'm a troll who is poor a$$ broke, not because it's absolutely true.

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 7:09:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:/ Snip
View Quote

All sorts of truth here. Thanks for the great post and info. I am saving that chart.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

All sorts of truth here. Thanks for the great post and info. I am saving that chart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Can't take credit for the chart, it's Silencertests.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This chart is so vague i dont know how it can really prove anything. im an engineering, i look at charts like this all day and unless you have the report that goes with this data its worthless. If you really want to go down the rabbit hole there are hundfreds of different types of steels involving different amounts of carbon or other elements, they can vary by strength based on how they are manufactures cold rolled vs extruded vs cast. There are different alloys of Titanium as well, There is no standard formula for Inconel, it can vary as well. How were these tests performed, by what laboratory. Was shape were the samples? Are the samples being compared by size/volume or by weight.

Also, the data is for a 0.2% yield, so at X amount of force the material deforms 0.2%, what about the ultimate strength or the breaking strength. Most people look at this and see the yield strength and confusing it for the temp and strength at which the material breaks and that is just not true.

IMO at the end of the day that chart and all of the data doesnt matter. When and where will you be heating your suppressor up to 1000+ deg F and applying 10-30 KSI (thats 10,000 to 30,000 PSI for those that dont know)  because when i finish a long day at the range i like to drive over my suppressors with a tank, throw them off a cliff and put them through a steel press just because im bad a$$ like that.

@ those saying Titanium suppressors can spark, they can, but it depends on the suppressor and ammo used. Some designs almost completely eliminate sparking, other suppressors look like a firework show. To make matters even more confusing people often mistake burning gun power for sparks, or that sparks can be mixed in with the burning power. The sparks are obviously more noticeable at night but then again so is unburnt powder leaving the suppressor.

If you dont want a Ti suppressor because its to expensive, or just because you personally dont trust it thats fine, just dont go around telling people they are junk. One dealer honestly told me not to buy a Ti suppressor because the welds fail and they blow up on a regular basis So youre telling me Gemtech and other reputable manufacturers would sell suppressors that they knew were going to explode? Sounds like a terrible business model to me, not to mention the morals of it all.  The fact is they are significantly lighter, are just as strong if not stronger depending on construction, have not shown long term durability issues and are perfectly fine to use on a rifle, be it semi auto or full auto. Titanium suppressors are used by our military including our special forces as well as police forces. The reason they are not more popular is because of the price, the metal itself is expensive along with a very labor intensive manufacturing process, and then because they sell less you have a small production run which drives prices up higher as well. If titanium suppressors were half the cost of steel suppressors the argument would be completely flipped and people would be making charts and ranting on about how steel suppressors suck and they will explode, etc...

As for me ill take my 10.3 oz Trek-T (8 after removing the flash suppressor) over a 20-30 oz steel suppressor any day. For those who are on a budget or feel the benefits of steel are worth the extra 1+ lb of weight go for it but for those who want a light weight suppressor and have the cash Titanium is the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This chart is so vague i dont know how it can really prove anything. im an engineering, i look at charts like this all day and unless you have the report that goes with this data its worthless. If you really want to go down the rabbit hole there are hundfreds of different types of steels involving different amounts of carbon or other elements, they can vary by strength based on how they are manufactures cold rolled vs extruded vs cast. There are different alloys of Titanium as well, There is no standard formula for Inconel, it can vary as well. How were these tests performed, by what laboratory. Was shape were the samples? Are the samples being compared by size/volume or by weight.

Also, the data is for a 0.2% yield, so at X amount of force the material deforms 0.2%, what about the ultimate strength or the breaking strength. Most people look at this and see the yield strength and confusing it for the temp and strength at which the material breaks and that is just not true.

IMO at the end of the day that chart and all of the data doesnt matter. When and where will you be heating your suppressor up to 1000+ deg F and applying 10-30 KSI (thats 10,000 to 30,000 PSI for those that dont know)  because when i finish a long day at the range i like to drive over my suppressors with a tank, throw them off a cliff and put them through a steel press just because im bad a$$ like that.

@ those saying Titanium suppressors can spark, they can, but it depends on the suppressor and ammo used. Some designs almost completely eliminate sparking, other suppressors look like a firework show. To make matters even more confusing people often mistake burning gun power for sparks, or that sparks can be mixed in with the burning power. The sparks are obviously more noticeable at night but then again so is unburnt powder leaving the suppressor.

If you dont want a Ti suppressor because its to expensive, or just because you personally dont trust it thats fine, just dont go around telling people they are junk. One dealer honestly told me not to buy a Ti suppressor because the welds fail and they blow up on a regular basis So youre telling me Gemtech and other reputable manufacturers would sell suppressors that they knew were going to explode? Sounds like a terrible business model to me, not to mention the morals of it all.  The fact is they are significantly lighter, are just as strong if not stronger depending on construction, have not shown long term durability issues and are perfectly fine to use on a rifle, be it semi auto or full auto. Titanium suppressors are used by our military including our special forces as well as police forces. The reason they are not more popular is because of the price, the metal itself is expensive along with a very labor intensive manufacturing process, and then because they sell less you have a small production run which drives prices up higher as well. If titanium suppressors were half the cost of steel suppressors the argument would be completely flipped and people would be making charts and ranting on about how steel suppressors suck and they will explode, etc...

As for me ill take my 10.3 oz Trek-T (8 after removing the flash suppressor) over a 20-30 oz steel suppressor any day. For those who are on a budget or feel the benefits of steel are worth the extra 1+ lb of weight go for it but for those who want a light weight suppressor and have the cash Titanium is the way to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right back at ya bro
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, you are an "engineering" after all.

Rifle suppressors will reach temps of 1500+ degrees in 5 mags of FA 5.56.
All titanium suppressors will spark. As the titanium ablates, it ignites, and burns brightly just like it does in titanium salutes. (fireworks) There are some rifle designs with reduced sparking, (they use steel or inconel for the first few baffles)  but it cannot be eliminated because it is an unavoidable property of the material used in the construction.
What branch or unit is using what titanium suppressors on what weapons? This will help you understand if you investigate.
Cost has absolutely zero to do with anything.
I own a titanium suppressor.

Please, go on.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
...Please, go on.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Ti is a great material for some cans. Inconel is a great material for some cans. I'd use Ti on bolt guns and inconel on assault rifles.

CAG is the impetus for the existence of the Ti Surefire Mini though I don't think that model is in production or has been.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

All titanium suppressors will spark. As the titanium ablates, it ignites, and burns brightly just like it does in titanium salutes. (fireworks) There are some rifle designs with reduced sparking, (they use steel or inconel for the first few baffles)  but it cannot be eliminated because it is an unavoidable property of the material used in the construction.
What branch or unit is using what titanium suppressors on what weapons? This will help you understand if you investigate.

Please, go on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Please, go on.

Will do, internet arguments with people who have no knowledge about what they are talking about is my favorite thing to due. Luckily im on my lunch break and you have my full attention

But back to what we were talking about....

Its easy to copy and past a random chart and claim its important, yet not have any knowledge about the what it means or how the data was achieved. Im curious...
Where did you get your Engineering Degree?
What state are you registered as a Professional Engineering?
What is your background in metallurgy?
How many years have you been testing materials for failure?

Look, ive never made a suppressor nor do I plan too. Im assuming 99.99% of the people on this forum have not either and have limited knowledge of how metals are tested. But to make posts saying titanium is an "inferior metal" is pretty ridiculous. Besides why would you own a titanium suppressor is it was inferior?

Not sure what Units use them, im not in the MIL, but have seen pic of them in use on forums, but then again prob the same forums you read that convinced you that TI is a terrible metal

Gemtech not saying anything about their construction isn't protecting any trade secrets. Any competitor can just buy one and cut it open. A manufacturer pulling this implies something to hide.

or the sales rep just doesnt have a technical background and just didnt want to say anything that was incorrect or misleading.

But honestly post all the charts, data, pics, YouTube videos, whatever your heart desires. Heck ill even have a nice long forum argument with you, its a slow day at work. But In practical terms none of it matters, i would take an insane amount of abuse or improper design to cause a titanium can to fail in normal usage, including full auto if the suppressor is rated for it. Unless you are putting the suppressor on the end of a full auto 5.56 or greater caliber weapon that is belt fed with a unlimited supply of ammo and are planning to hold the trigger down until something catches fire or explodes you need not worry about a titanium suppressor failing. And to tell people to pass up a quality titanium suppressor that will greatly reduce their rifles weight like the Trek-T because you feel it is "inferior" is doing everyone who reads your post a disservice.

You and others can post all day long, but I will be there to call your bluff.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I run a Trek-T on a Colt 6933 with a 10" barrel (barreled by SAW) - great can, gun is very well balanced. I would not use the Trek-T (or any Ti can, for that matter) on a full-auto gun

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Will do, internet arguments with people who have no knowledge about what they are talking about is my favorite thing to due.
View Quote

What else do you like to due?

I hope you engineer better than you spell.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#21]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/341665_Possible_to_permanently_attach_a_titanium_suppressor_.html

A quote from
Philip H. Dater, MD
36 years in the industry, 18 with GEMTECH

The myth of titanium alloys loosing strength at elevated temperatures is one that is often repeated on these boards. While I do not know the yield strength curves for pure titanium (Grade 2), I do know them for the grades we use.

The only strength parameter of real concern in pressure vessels (like silencers) is the yield strength, which is considerably less than tensile strength. This, obviously, diminishes with elevated temperature. In the case of 300 series stainless steels (the most corrosion resistant), the yield at room temperature is 30,000 psi and it degrades to 18,600 psi at 800°F. 4130 chrome-moly steel has a room temperature yield strength in excess of 150,000 psi (varying with temper). I have not looked up the degradation of yield strength of 4140 at 800°F, but assuming it degrades at the same rate as stainless, it will still be in excess of 100,000 psi. This information is readily available from the ASM International metallurgical publications.

The titanium alloy we use for out outer tubes has a yield strength of 75,000 psi at room temperature, almost 2.5 times that of stainless steel. Further, it degrades to approximately 60,000 psi at 800°F (well over 3 times that of stainless) according to the manufacturer, President Titanium. No matter how you look both at room and elevated temperature, the correct titanium alloy is a stronger material than any of the grades of 300 stainless steel.

Further, neither titanium nor stainless conduct/absorb heat nearly as well as aluminum, and the aluminum alloys we use in our pistol/subgun/rimfire suppressors has yield strengths at the normal operating temperatures seen in pistol caliber suppressors well in excess of twice that of stainless. Aluminum does not hold up at the elevated temperatures seen in rifle cartridges, but in rimfire and pistol calibers, it is more than strong enough, and it is far superior at heat transfer. Particularly in rimfire, heat transfer is an important contributor to suppressor efficiency.

Interestingly, the skin on the SR-71 high speed spy plane is titanium, and the heat of friction raises the skin temperature significantly. It was noted that it became stronger with repeated heat cycles.

The internet is a treasure trove of information, but it is also a great source of misinformation and hogwash. One would be wise to not simply repeat as fact the erroneous postings of others.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Right here before me I have a set of titanium wrenches and screwdrivers.  To say Titanium is stronger than steel is not correct.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Will do, internet arguments with people who have no knowledge about what they are talking about is my favorite thing to due. Luckily im on my lunch break and you have my full attention

Its easy to copy and past a random chart and claim its important, yet not have any knowledge about the what it means or how the data was achieved. Im curious...

Look, ive never made a suppressor nor do I plan too. Im assuming 99.99% of the people on this forum have not either and have limited knowledge of how metals are tested. But to make posts saying titanium is an "inferior metal" is pretty ridiculous. Besides why would you own a titanium suppressor is it was inferior?

Not sure what Units use them, im not in the MIL, but have seen pic of them in use on forums, but then again prob the same forums you read that convinced you that TI is a terrible metal

or the sales rep just doesnt have a technical background and just didnt want to say anything that was incorrect or misleading.

But honestly post all the charts, data, pics, YouTube videos, whatever your heart desires. Heck ill even have a nice long forum argument with you, its a slow day at work. But In practical terms none of it matters, i would take an insane amount of abuse or improper design to cause a titanium can to fail in normal usage, including full auto if the suppressor is rated for it. Unless you are putting the suppressor on the end of a full auto 5.56 or greater caliber weapon that is belt fed with a unlimited supply of ammo and are planning to hold the trigger down until something catches fire or explodes you need not worry about a titanium suppressor failing. And to tell people to pass up a quality titanium suppressor that will greatly reduce their rifles weight like the Trek-T because you feel it is "inferior" is doing everyone who reads your post a disservice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please, go on.

I'm not bluffing. I'm glad you like to "due" this.
That chart doesn't confuse anyone but you, and you are an engineering.
Ask Silencertests about it.
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5045
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do, internet arguments with people who have no knowledge about what they are talking about is my favorite thing to due.

Oh no the grammar police...or well spelling police i suppose would be more accurate.

Either way congrats, you managed to ignore the entire point of everything i posted (probably because you couldn't understand it and focused on a misspelled word.

*proceeds to slow clap*

haha more proof of being a ignorant troll. Avoid the subject being discussed and focus on a single misspelled word, that will obviously win the argument....

BTW im and Engineer, not an "engineering"

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oh no the grammar police...or well spelling police i suppose would be more accurate.

Either way congrats, you managed to ignore the entire point of everything i posted (probably because you couldn't understand it and focused on a misspelled word.

*proceeds to slow clap*

haha more proof of being a ignorant troll. Avoid the subject being discussed and focus on a single misspelled word, that will obviously win the argument....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*proceeds to slow clap*

That's not what you told me earlier in this thread.
Read the thread at the link.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*proceeds to slow clap*

Read it.

Again, focusing on a spelling error rather than the technical aspects of the issue. You're just one more person parroting the myth of titanium suppressors being junk with no data to back it up. And what "data" you have is a random chart with no explanation, because chances are you dont even really understand what it means.

EDIT: I forgot a period at the end of the previous sentence, didn't want the grammar police to arrest me for that!

EDIT #2: My goodness I forgot the apostrophe in didn't. Good thing great all scientists had perfect grammar and writing skills, if they missspelled a word all of their research would have been worthless. I heard the theory of relativity was one comma away from being considered impossible   <- left out that period just for the heck of it

Troll it up guys, you only a couple more irrelevant posts before this gets moved to GD.

EDIT #3: GD means "General Discussion" didnt want you to think I misspelled another word!
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Acknowledging the cons of a thread on suppressor, you might want to put and AAC Ranger 3 in the running here.

Hopefully is ships at some point this year.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Read it.

Again, focusing on a spelling error rather than the technical aspects of the issue. Youre just one more person parroting the myth of titanium suppressors being junk with no data to back it up. And what "data" you have is a random chart with no explanation, because chances are you dont even really understand what it means.

EDIT: I forgot a period at the end of the previous sentence, didn't want the grammar police to arrest me for that!

EDIT #2: My goodness I forgot the apostrophe in didn't. Good thing great all scientists had perfect grammar and writing skills, if they miss spelled a word all of their research would have been worthless. I heard the theory of relativity was one comma away from being considered impossible.
View Quote

I'm not parroting anything. The properties of titanium are a fact. It's simply inarguable. Or I thought so until I ran into you.
Do you know who Silencertests is?

BTW: Misspelled is one word.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
what is it? and is it still of decent quality?
View Quote

The Griffin Spartan 3 is a thread mount and is decent quality with a 136DB SPL on a 14.5" barrel 13 ounces.  No light use limitations.  They are in production however and not yet available.

Thread mounts are going to be lighter than QD units when the can and mount are considered.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm not parroting anything. It's a fact. It's simply inarguable. Or I thought so until I ran into you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read it.

Again, focusing on a spelling error rather than the technical aspects of the issue. Youre just one more person parroting the myth of titanium suppressors being junk with no data to back it up. And what "data" you have is a random chart with no explanation, because chances are you dont even really understand what it means.

EDIT #2: My goodness I forgot the apostrophe in didn't. Good thing great all scientists had perfect grammar and writing skills, if they miss spelled a word all of their research would have been worthless. I heard the theory of relativity was one comma away from being considered impossible.

I'm not parroting anything. It's a fact. It's simply inarguable. Or I thought so until I ran into you.

aww i wanet finisheed with ym psot, i haad to eidt ti a 3dr tyme,

But honestly you're not the first person to say titanium suppressors are inferior and wont be the last, I'm not sure why these rumors started but hopefully someday people will be able to enjoy the benefits of a Ti suppressor without worrying about it exploding, melting or some other catastrophic event.

Read it.

Again, focusing on a spelling error rather than the technical aspects of the issue. You're just one more person parroting the myth of titanium suppressors being junk with no data to back it up. And what "data" you have is a random chart with no explanation, because chances are you dont even really understand what it means.

EDIT #2: My goodness I forgot the apostrophe in didn't. Good thing great all scientists had perfect grammar and writing skills, if they missspelled a word all of their research would have been worthless. I heard the theory of relativity was one comma away from being considered impossible <- left out that period just for the heck of it

Troll it up guys, you only a couple more irrelevant posts before this gets moved to GD.

EDIT #3: GD means "General Discussion" didnt want you to think I misspelled another word!

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

But honestly you're not the first person to say titanium suppressors are inferior and wont be the last, I'm not sure why these rumors started but hopefully someday people will be able to enjoy the benefits of a Ti suppressor without worrying about it exploding, melting or some other catastrophic event.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read it.

Read it.

EDIT #2: My goodness I forgot the apostrophe in didn't. Good thing great all scientists had perfect grammar and writing skills, if they missspelled a word all of their research would have been worthless. I heard the theory of relativity was one comma away from being considered impossible <- left out that period just for the heck of it

I said titanium is an inferior material for rifle silencers that will see rapid fire. And it is.
Nobody but you argues about it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#32]

I said titanium is an inferior material for rifle silencers that will see rapid fire. And it is.
View All Quotes

Gemtech, YHM and numerous others seem to have no problem designing titanium suppressors for full auto.

Just found a few...
http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/GMT-HALO-9p932.htm
http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/TREK-T-9p51.htm
http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/G5-T-9p79.htm
http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/GMT-300WM-40p980.htm
http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/GMT-556LE-40p978.htm
http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/GMT-556QM-40p979.htm
https://yhm.net/titanium-q-d-phantom-5-57.html

Incase you missed my earlier post....
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/341665_Possible_to_permanently_attach_a_titanium_suppressor_.html

A quote from
Philip H. Dater, MD

The myth of titanium alloys loosing strength at elevated temperatures is one that is often repeated on these boards. While I do not know the yield strength curves for pure titanium (Grade 2), I do know them for the grades we use.

The only strength parameter of real concern in pressure vessels (like silencers) is the yield strength, which is considerably less than tensile strength. This, obviously, diminishes with elevated temperature. In the case of 300 series stainless steels (the most corrosion resistant), the yield at room temperature is 30,000 psi and it degrades to 18,600 psi at 800°F. 4130 chrome-moly steel has a room temperature yield strength in excess of 150,000 psi (varying with temper). I have not looked up the degradation of yield strength of 4140 at 800°F, but assuming it degrades at the same rate as stainless, it will still be in excess of 100,000 psi. This information is readily available from the ASM International metallurgical publications.

The titanium alloy we use for out outer tubes has a yield strength of 75,000 psi at room temperature, almost 2.5 times that of stainless steel. Further, it degrades to approximately 60,000 psi at 800°F (well over 3 times that of stainless) according to the manufacturer, President Titanium. No matter how you look both at room and elevated temperature, the correct titanium alloy is a stronger material than any of the grades of 300 stainless steel.

Further, neither titanium nor stainless conduct/absorb heat nearly as well as aluminum, and the aluminum alloys we use in our pistol/subgun/rimfire suppressors has yield strengths at the normal operating temperatures seen in pistol caliber suppressors well in excess of twice that of stainless. Aluminum does not hold up at the elevated temperatures seen in rifle cartridges, but in rimfire and pistol calibers, it is more than strong enough, and it is far superior at heat transfer. Particularly in rimfire, heat transfer is an important contributor to suppressor efficiency.

Interestingly, the skin on the SR-71 high speed spy plane is titanium, and the heat of friction raises the skin temperature significantly. It was noted that it became stronger with repeated heat cycles.

The internet is a treasure trove of information, but it is also a great source of misinformation and hogwash. One would be wise to not simply repeat as fact the erroneous postings of others.

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Gemtech, YHM and numerous others seem to have no problem designing titanium suppressors for full auto.

Just found a few...

A quote from
Philip H. Dater, MD

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just found a few...

A quote from
Philip H. Dater, MD

Jesus.

Titanium strength vs. temperature.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Is the main one you want.

Titanium will simply not hold its strength as well as a lot of other alloys will at elevated temperatures . . .

Comparisons at 800*F are convenient because after 800* it drops off like a rock.

So no, Titanium is not a great choice if you like blasting ammo on a SBR or bump-firing your frankenstein AR.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your numbers are a bit off there.  The M4SD II I just ordered will be 14.6 oz gain over standard A2 so it is really only about 6-7 oz more than titanium.  308 cans may weigh about 20oz but I know of no 308 or smaller can that weighs 30 oz.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

*proceeds to slow clap*

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*proceeds to slow clap*

Actually, using the wrong word is a not a spelling error, as the word is spelled correctly...it's a grammatical error.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I, for one enjoyed the back and forth between those two. Still not sure where I stand on ti cans though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:25:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#39]
PHD,

Is shooting four magazines rapidly on semi from a 10.5 going to have significant negative impacts on the service life of a Trek-T?

If you say no, I will buy one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
PHD,

Is shooting four magazines rapidly on semi from a 10.5 going to have significant negative impacts on the service life of a Trek-T?

If you say no, I will buy one.
View Quote

Is "4" an arbitrary number?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Four is the three on my JPC and the one in the gun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Good thing I like brown tip.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I love this place.  I love my Halo too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top