Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2014 10:54:35 AM EDT
Just sitting here and was thinking about the lifespan of suppressors. I'm awaiting the approval of three.

Silencerco Sparrow- I would assume should last me a long time

Ops Model 12 for mk12 Mod1- Not sure on these- believe I read they last a long time as well?

Surefire socom 556-rc for use on MK18 with surefire brake and also use on RECCE style 16" also with Surefire Brake. I was recommended to buy the brakes as they act as a first blast shield allowing longer life. Are the 10.3" MK18 style rifles that much harder on the suppressors? Just wondering what I may expect for lifespan of the Surefire.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#1]
The sparrow should last forever.  Just replace the o-rings and clean the core every 5,000 rounds or so... assuming you have the SS core model.

All centerfire (.223, .308, etc.) suppressors have a limited lifespan due to baffle erosion.  Depending on the host, the ammo, rate of fire, etc.  For semi-auto and occassional rapid fire, you should get 20-40,000 rounds through a can before you get a significant degredation in noise reduction.  Before that point, you will see significant baffle erosion just by looking down the stack.  

I would expect your surefire to last 1/4 to 1/2 as long due to the SBR application.  

Disclaimer:  I have never worn out a suppressor... YET!  
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the insight.

The Sparrow is the SS model.  I figured it would last awhile :)

I doubt I'll ever wear out the OPS model 12 either or the Surefire for that matter.  If I get 10k or so out of the Surefire that will be good for me.  I'll probably use it more on the 16" so that should increase the lifespan too.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, and using a brake mount instead of a flash hider mount or direct thread will increase the life of your baffles.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1427849_.html

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The brake on the 12th mount will take most of the blast and the can should last a long time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a break on my YHM 556QD and with thousands of rounds through it on my 11.5" SBR I see no erosion of the blast baffle.

My numerous .22 suppressors just keep being shot and cleaned with no sign of any issues.

My Trident 9 is the only suppressor I have that is wearing out.  The baffles are all pitted and erosion is bad.  It has been used for some FA, but the majority is all semi.  My Trident9 is one of the very original ones.  FWIW, the reason I can tell the baffles are wearing out is because it was jailbroken by StalkingRhino.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Half of the manufacturers offer lifetime warranty so you should be good to go.....that's if you purchase one with lifetime warranty
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:03:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:01:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The purpose of a warranty is to protect the owner against loss due to defects in materials or workmanship. It does not cover wear and tear or abuse. It certainly does not cover baffle strikes from misalignment, bullet instability, etc. It does not cover misuse, such as mounting a rimfire suppressor on a .220 Swift, and so forth.

Lifespan depends on a number of factors: caliber, ammunition, host weapon, and duty cycle. There is a lot of merit in actually reading the instruction manual.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Half of the manufacturers offer lifetime warranty so you should be good to go.....that's if you purchase one with lifetime warranty

The purpose of a warranty is to protect the owner against loss due to defects in materials or workmanship. It does not cover wear and tear or abuse. It certainly does not cover baffle strikes from misalignment, bullet instability, etc. It does not cover misuse, such as mounting a rimfire suppressor on a .220 Swift, and so forth.

Lifespan depends on a number of factors: caliber, ammunition, host weapon, and duty cycle. There is a lot of merit in actually reading the instruction manual.

I was going to post something close to this least night but this is much more refined.  Well said Sir.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:02:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most warranties don't cover wear and tear or negligent use. While some companies are very good about covering user mistakes at no charge, it should not be expected.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was going to post something close to this least night but this is much more refined.  Well said Sir.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, very well said Doc!
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Most warranties don't cover wear and tear or negligent use. While some companies are very good about covering user mistakes at no charge, it should not be expected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't believe some of the user mistakes that companies like SWR/Silencerco, Surefire, TB, and I'm sure others have warrantied,  recored, and even built custom mounts for the person.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I can't believe some of the user mistakes that companies like SWR/Silencerco, Surefire, TB, and I'm sure others have warrantied,  recored, and even built custom mounts for the person.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

links?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I look it it like this.  The more tennis shoes I have and wear throughout the year, the longer I can go before I buy more.  2-3 pairs last me a long time if I rotate them.   Moral of the cool story bro......  Buy multiple suppressors and have a variety! ......they'll last longer
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

links?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

links?

Here are 2 off the top of my head.  

Surefire baffle strike

surefire & ruger scout rifle

I've also read good things from SWR and Liberty.

Just Google baffle strikes and you will find people's stories and outcomes.

Surefire is one if he most expensive options out there, but I'm definitely a customer for life.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, I look it it like this.  The more tennis shoes I have and wear throughout the year, the longer I can go before I buy more.  2-3 pairs last me a long time if I rotate them.   Moral of the cool story bro......  Buy multiple suppressors and have a variety! ......they'll last longer
View Quote

You're gonna cost me money!
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:00:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Lifespan depends on a number of factors: caliber, ammunition, host weapon, and duty cycle. In 5.56 NATO, we have had suppressors last in excess of 100,000 rounds of the 5.56 NATO ammo. I have also destroyed them (ours as well as competition) in less that 400 rounds with abusive firing cycles.

Most manufacturers spend time in doing engineering for safety and performance as well as testing. A summary of what they consider safe is in the manual that accompanies the weapon. There is a lot of merit in actually reading the instruction manual.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lifespan depends on a number of factors: caliber, ammunition, host weapon, and duty cycle. In 5.56 NATO, we have had suppressors last in excess of 100,000 rounds of the 5.56 NATO ammo. I have also destroyed them (ours as well as competition) in less that 400 rounds with abusive firing cycles.

Most manufacturers spend time in doing engineering for safety and performance as well as testing. A summary of what they consider safe is in the manual that accompanies the weapon. There is a lot of merit in actually reading the instruction manual.
Unless one is shooting 30k rounds a year then of course it'll wear faster but manufacturers they will stand behind it as this one as stated below:  that's if they can't fix it but 50% of the time they can swap out internal parts for very reasonable cost.

in its sole and absolute discretion, that a returned suppressor is not covered under this warranty, for any reason, you may purchase a replacement product at 75% off the suggested retail price.   LINK

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:59:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

in its sole and absolute discretion, that a returned suppressor is not covered under this warranty, for any reason, you may purchase a replacement product at 75% off the suggested retail price.   LINK

View Quote

As someone with four SiCo cans currently pending, I've read through that multiple times. But, I've misread it every time until I read your copy.

There's a big difference one little "f" makes...it says "75% off the retail price", and I'd always read "75% of the retail price. You'd still have the tax and transfer fee (if applicable) plus the wait...but every little bit would help.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:00:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Unless one is shooting 30k rounds a year then of course it'll wear faster but manufacturers they will stand behind it as this one as stated below:  that's if they can't fix it but 50% of the time they can swap out internal parts for very reasonable cost.  

If Silencerco determines, in its sole and absolute discretion, that a returned suppressor is not covered under this warranty, for any reason, you may purchase a replacement product at 75% off the suggested retail price.   LINK
View Quote

... and this, folks, is why we buy Silencerco products. I would like a link to any bonafide story to the contrary.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:27:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

... and this, folks, is why we buy Silencerco products. I would like a link to any bonafide story to the contrary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If Silencerco determines, in its sole and absolute discretion, that a returned suppressor is not covered under this warranty, for any reason, you may purchase a replacement product at 75% off the suggested retail price.   LINK

SiCO can pending
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

2 SiCO can pending
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 SiCO can pending

fifm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top