Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 8:44:10 PM EDT
I was highly considering the Gemtech Sandstorm

But my dealer suggested the Thunderbeast line up as a better choice as they seem to be slightly more accurate with MOA & the 30-Ps is only 2-3 dB lower than the full size TB30-P, so it is REALLY attractive.  Plus the price point is really nice.

But then there is the YHM .30 cal Ultra Light Tactical that is supposed to be coming out soon (anyone know when?)

Does anyone know the specs on this as far as it's dB rating?

YHM says that it this one offers a newer, thicker tube design for increased strength & CNC welds.

Anyone know if the Thunderbeast's are crafted with CNC welds?  I like the direct thread since this will be on a dedicated rifle and to help save on weight, but apparently the new Ultra Light is a QD 13oz.  Not sure if that includes the QD mount though?

The Thunderbeast is threaded and also magnum rated & while I'm not sure that I'll need that I'm not sure if the YHM is?  I know the YHM is rated for full auto down to 10.5" so I would assume it could also handle magnum?

I think the price point on the YHM Ultra will be $2-300 more than the TB30-Ps and I'm not sure on the release date of the YHM either.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you checked out the silencerco harvester?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:31:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really comparable... the Harvester has an aluminum tube, not titanium.

I'm planning on both a 30P-1 and the LT Titanium.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]
May get a better response over at Thunder Beast's forum where Zak and Ray (owners) are very active.  Snipershide would be the other site where you could find your answer.

I personally would vote TB. I'm not sure on the db ratings compared to YHM, but TB will be the most accurate,  less POI shift and their customer service is excellent.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:10:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Depending on application.  For a precision rifle I would (and did) buy a Thunderbeast 30p-1.  For Semi-auto suppression I would buy a Surefire.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oops, was thinking lightweight 308 can.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#6]
300-TM if you can find one! (But I'm AAC hater I'm told, so take that fwiw)

TB if you can't find a 300-TM.  But I'd really stress that the AAC is a stronger, extensively military tested, and probably quieter design. The TB is almost identical to the construction of the AAC Cyclone except in machined in Ti. I've found AAC's monocore to be a step up from their cone baffle cans, so I can't imagine the TB would be better.

YHM and Gemtech are in the next tier down, which may work for your needs, but NFA IS FOR LIFE (pretty much) so I don't fuck around.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#7]
TOo cheap to buy multiple cans, so i went gemtech sandstorm. Mounts available for damn near every gun out there, using in on full auto belt feds, 22lrs, bolt actions, etc.
Pretty damn modular can. I love the bi-lock system as it doesn't get stuck like other quick detach mounts (surefire, ahem) after a full auto string.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Depending on application.  For a precision rifle I would (and did) buy a Thunderbeast 30p-1.  For Semi-auto suppression I would buy a Surefire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I spoke with the guys at TB & they said that their cans can do semi-auto no problem.  (At least the 30Ps, which is what I inquired about specifically, but would imagine their other cans will be able to do so as well)

Does anyone know when YHM is supposed to release their Ultra Light Titanium?  

I think I'm really leaning towards the TB-30Ps because it's thread on & a lower price point.

Quoted:
TOo cheap to buy multiple cans, so i went gemtech sandstorm. Mounts available for damn near every gun out there, using in on full auto belt feds, 22lrs, bolt actions, etc.
Pretty damn modular can. I love the bi-lock system as it doesn't get stuck like other quick detach mounts (surefire, ahem) after a full auto string.

The Sandstorm is their thread-on version, the Quicksand is the QD system, which is more expensive & slightly heavier, but obviously brings the QD ability to the table, which honestly I'm not really that interested in since this will be on a dedicated .308.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes sorry i meant quicksand.

The harvester is rated up to 300 win mag and reduces recoil. Good for future use.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Thunderbeast all the way. Fine for non-mag dumping semi auto use and one of the most highly recommended suppressors in the precision shooting world. Also, in case you need to shoot larger 30 cals the TB is rated up to 300 Win Mag and limited use of 300 Weatherby/Ultra Mag as long as 26" + barrels are used.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#11]
AAC/Titan-QD proven performance for years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JVd0SuMnSw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eguVmceHNbM
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:48:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a quicksand and love it. Shot many before purchasing the quicksand, and that's the route I went.  Very happy with it, with a lilja .308 barrel on my dpms I built up I have no problem maintaining sub moa with the quicksand attached or unattached. POI shift is less than an inch straight down at 100.

I also use it on 7.62x39, 300 blkout, 5.56x45 and 22-250. It's a great can.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh but the Gemtech is cheaper! Given it's pedigree the 300-TM is an obvious winner... BUT here we are discussing YHM and Gemtech

(Some people need to make their own mistakes)
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh but the Gemtech is cheaper! Given it's pedigree the 300-TM is an obvious winner... BUT here we are discussing YHM and Gemtech

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you say YHM or Gemtech is a mistake?

For what it's worth I'm leaning heavy on the TB30-PS
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go look up what the Titan/MK13/300-TM design is being used in. There isn't anything "wrong" with YHM/Gemtech so much as there isn't nearly as much right as there is with the AAC Ti cans - it's not even close. AAC's most recent wins are the MK13 rifle (with Surefire), the M2010, the PSR, and others I'm sure.

As far as the TB. It's just a Ti version of AAC's steel cans. Effectively identical baffle shape/spacing/count just in Ti. The AAC monocore imo is better than their cone baffle cans.

At this point in time, if you only want .300 sized bullets, I'm pretty confident you can not do better than the 300-TM if you want a thread on can for precision rifles. QD I'd argue the Surefire 762-RC is more versatile and better value, but the MK13 is great if you have the money and don't mind the expensive/rare mounts. TB is good though, I was impressed with the last ones I heard in person, but there is no possible way it's a "better" can than the 300-TM (definitely not as strong) but iirc they're competitively priced.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#16]
SAS Arbiter TOMB.  (also available in direct thread, if that is you preference)

Titanium.  One of the lightest of similar sized (1.5"Dx9"L).  The TOMB mount is great, similar to TBAC 30BA system, but more better looking.  300 Win Mag rated unlike the Quicksand/Sandstorm.  It is the most quiet (pleasant) of the .30 cal cans I have heard.  Better then YHM Phantom (both SS and Ti) or TBAC 30BA.

30BA would be my second choice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The point of Titanium is to be light. No one gets a Ti can for the sake of having a titanium can. They get them for the low weight. The Harvester is lighter than most Ti cans so I'd argue that it IS comparable.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The point of Titanium is to be light. No one gets a Ti can for the sake of having a titanium can. They get them for the low weight. The Harvester is lighter than most Ti cans so I'd argue that it IS comparable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Titanium alloys are much stronger than aluminum, are more resistant to heat and pressure, and can be more easily cleaned as they are not as susceptible to some of the more aggressive cleaning methods as aluminum tubes are. Thus, people DO buy titanium for the sake of having titanium.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Titanium alloys are much stronger than aluminum, are more resistant to heat and pressure, and can be more easily cleaned as they are not as susceptible to some of the more aggressive cleaning methods as aluminum tubes are. Thus, people DO buy titanium for the sake of having titanium.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The aluminum tube on the Harvester is just a cover. You don't really need to clean a centerfire can.

There are differences between Titanium and stainless steel for sure. My point is when people look for a light precision can they head towards Titanium. The Harvester fills the same role. That is all.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The aluminum tube on the Harvester is just a cover. You don't really need to clean a centerfire can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but for a lifetime purchase it's nice to have the option.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I have an SAS Arbiter direct-thread can and like it, but I haven't used it a whole lot. I've tried it once on my SBR for about two mags of slow fire just to see how it would sound. The rest of the use it has seen as been on my CZ 527 Grendel. I went with the Arbiter because of weight and price. I intended to use it for hunting.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.... Not one photo of a "clogged" HTA can anywhere I've ever seen... No military cans comes apart. No cans from large mfgs come apart. Lots of mfgs saying that it's pointless to have a take-apart rifle can, rifle pressures and failures can be catastrophic.

No Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:09:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

.... Not one photo of a "clogged" HTA can anywhere I've ever seen... No military cans comes apart. No cans from large mfgs come apart. Lots of mfgs saying that it's pointless to have a take-apart rifle can, rifle pressures and failures can be catastrophic.

No Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No Thanks.

Dude, did you read the fucking thread or did you just knee-jerk respond to a post?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top